The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
These seem to be a favorite on TDPRI:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...n=q2_2016_test

Don't know what they'd cost in Aussie dollars, but might be worth a look...

Wow, that's interesting. Not going to lie, a 15 watt with reverb for $199 or a simple 5 watter for $99 intrigues me. And if those guys like it, there has to be something to it.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Vox AC4 is a great amp for in the house. They are pretty loud.

I bought an AC15, and didn't want to keep both. I should have kept both.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:20 AM

Thanks Daryl, that was the kind of info I was after. Yes, using controls from the guitar and touch to determine tone make sense. I'm just a bit concerned about not even having a tone knob, but will look into it.
I saw the monoprice when searching for reviews of the Joyo, but I have not been able to find them in Australia, or anything that looks like a rebranded version. I saw ebay retailers who will send from USA so the 5 watt version comes in around $200 - this one has a tone knob as well! I'll check out some of the reviews online.
I'll keep my eye out for Vox AC4 and the little Blackstar as well - at least I can try these in music stores over here.
I'm not much for electronics or soldering and all the valve amp makers here are very expensive. I have seen ads for people who teach you how to make an amp but they are about $500 and you need to have your own gear.
Thanks for all the suggestions - much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:29 AM

I tested a 5F1 Champ build for a customer before delivery for a week or so. My take:

The circuit is very honest. How you play affects the tone and distortion level quite a bit.

Your guitar's tone and volume knobs are key, and there's a whole palette of sounds available between those and the pickup selector position. In fact, it's very rewarding to play with the amp turned up high and control it with the guitar. If you're the type to just set all guitar knobs on 10 and leave them, you may find the amp rather one dimensional. If you're willing to experiment and listen, you can learn a lot.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-11-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanr View Post

I'll keep my eye out for Vox AC4 and the little Blackstar as well - at least I can try these in music stores over here.

I think this is going to be your best route. Whether it is those two amps or something else. I've read about so many amps on forums and really wanted them but when I've played them I have been really disappointed. And I wouldn't discount a larger amp if you find one in your price range used or something. My amp is certainly capable of being far louder than necessary in my house but sounds great at reasonable volumes too. Maybe something with an overdrive channel so you don't have to crank it so high to get some break up.

Either way, good luck and keep us posted. I'd love to hear what you end up getting and how you like it.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 AM

Get the Blackstar, it's all you will ever need. Beautiful cleans and great dirty channel. Plenty of volume.

I have owned both an original '57 Champ (5f1 circuit) and built one myself. They are good sounding and simple, but the Tweed Champ gets WAY too much praise IMO. I have looked at the Joyo myself (not played it) and if you want what an old Champ has to offer, it will deliver. If you have never played a Tweed Champ and don't know what to expect - it is a one trick pony. A nice little pony, but still a one trick one.

5F1 circuits have very little headroom. This means they lose the ability to play with clean tones very quickly when turning them up. You can mitigate this by swapping out a lower gain preamp tube, like a 12au7, but still only a certain amount of clean headroom.

I understand that the Monoprice is a rebranded Laney Cub 8 (or vice-versa). I had the Cub 10 and never liked it. No sparkle in the highs with any guitar. Very dark sounding and clean tones were practically non-existent. I sold it and will be replacing with a Katana.

The Blackstar is an exceptional amp. I have one sitting in my back bedroom, because it belongs to a jamming buddy. Fantastic amp in every way, really. It is fairly large and heavy for a 5 watt amp.

The VHT Special 6 is excellent, but lacks reverb.Take my advice you WANT reverb.

The Bugera sounds good, but is horribly overpriced - as is the Blues Jr. The Blackstar is superior to both in every way. Period. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

There is no contest, IMO, between the amps you have named. Blackstar, all day long.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I've had a little Goodsell and a little Fuchs that were both stellar, single tube, amps. Both great blues amps.

I couldn't find the Fuchs amp on eBay but here is one of the Goodsell's. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goodsell-Cha...cAAOSwfpVZLXpj
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-11-2017, 07:13 AM

I'm hoping to buy a champ tweed kit from here as I live in the UK:

http://www.ampmaker.com/store/WF-55-...style-amp.html

He is supposed to get them in stock again before the end of the year.

I reckon I could build it without electrocuting myself.

Build it yourself and you have an amp for life that you can fix yourself cheaply if it goes wrong.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 AM

There are over 250 amps on reverb in Australia that you can buy and use once a month...
https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps?item_region=AU
Old 10-12-2017, 11:43 AM

For me the problem with a low watt amp is always speaker size. I like 12s. I have the VHT Special Ultra 6 and the Blackstar HT1 mini stack both with 12s. I like the cleans and crunch on the VHT but the Blackstar is better when in full overdrive. I did replace the speaker in the blackstar cab as I thought the stock one was boxy.

I have messed around with a Vox Ac4 with a 12 in the combo. Nice amp.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:39 PM

I haven't played the Vox, so can't comment on it, but the 1W Blackstar is awesome. Only negative thing I can say about it, is the overdrive control is more sensitive than I desire. The kind of stuff I like to play wants light distortion that requires heavy picking to get into - otherwise it sounds clean.

The OD on the Blackstar is capable of providing way, way more drive than I care for - so the magic setting that works for me is a tiny window between 1 and 2.

But it can be clean as a whistle, or dirty as a pig. Great little amp, amazing it's only 1W!!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

My low wattage rig is a Vox Li'l Night Train running through an Egnater Rebel cab.

The lil night train is two watts and is a great little amp. I'm not sure they still make them, but I'd buy one used if you can find one.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogs View Post
You should take a serious look at the Blackstar HT1R. Also, read the reviews. : )

I've got the HT1R, great little amp, 2 channels, one with a great sounding overdrive and decent sound levels too.

Has a single ISF (tone) control that works really well, you need the HT5 for separate EQ bands. It's very compact and only 6kg.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:19 AM

Thanks for all these replies.
I am in no hurry so will keep my eyes out on our classifieds here (in Aus we don't seem to use Reverb - they are USA sellers who are happy to ship to Aus and shipping is expensive on amps).
I have seen the VHT special 6 cheap locally but then saw the Ultra - more expensive but more features - send and return effects is a good feature. Built in reverb would be nice though. There are many pros and cons. I want tubes, but will look around.
You guys are great!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:00 PM

A fan of the VHT here. Hand wired so easy to mod or fix. I add a delay and reverb pedals to mine. On board attenuation. Very Fendery cleans. Nice crunch. Having said all that, my ears are not yours so always good to try it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars