The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
To get the right info online I might have to watch the videos from 5 different sources and piece it all together myself, and then I'd probably have to write out the score/tab too to have something to practice from.
Yep. I think self-taught doesn't mean you're isolated without other information. It means that you guide yourself, that you know your goals, can see the gaps you need to fill, and know what you are looking for in resources, can find them, evaluate them, and apply them. You're just now starting to see it.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Yep. I think self-taught doesn't mean you're isolated without other information. It means that you guide yourself, that you know your goals, can see the gaps you need to fill, and know what you are looking for in resources, can find them, evaluate them, and apply them. You're just now starting to see it.
For sure. One of the other aspects (I'm 40, my wife and I both work and we have a 4 year old) is I'm not in a life environment right now where there is anyone else around playing and/or to hang around with and play with. I'm not good enough to go join a band or do an open mic or anything like that. So having a chance to go off to a lesson gives me a chance to make playing guitar more than "hanging out in the basement practicing by myself for myself." If I had picked up guitar in college (I probably would have said I couldn't afford a guitar.) there were tons of other people around who played and I could have absorbed stuff from them.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I'm almost entirely self taught other than one adult education group class and some friends showing me my first few chords. Been at it off an on for several decades.

This worked ok for strumming and some pretty basic flat picking. I don't get much chance to play with others, and I'm not a great singer (although I do enjoy trying) so I kind of hit a plateau where all I was doing was learning new songs, not progressing in my playing. And my dog doesn't really seem to get excited if I learn a new song.

So my New Year's resolution this year (I usually never make them and if I do never keep them) was to learn how to fingerpick. Lots of inspiration here on AGF and I have found some very good books, exercises and video lessons. I rarely miss a day and when I do I get antsy. I'm happy with my progress but have so very far to go...so I have decided I need a teacher. Not that I can't learn it on my own, I just think progress will be a lot quicker and the process more fun to get that help and feedback.

I'm taking my time, asking around and searching for a good finger style teacher in central Connecticut. My main interests are blues and rags but eventually I'd like to be able to play instrumental versions of pop tunes and develop improvisational skills. Let me know if you know of anyone local to me. I plan to start in the fall, once I have more of the basics under my belt.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion