The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Sobel Classicals

UPDATE: Spruce/ Birdseye maple now listed in 'Guitars For Sale'
section

I have found myself in the enviable position of owning two wonderful guitars by Washington state builder Chris Sobel - one with a cedar top and 4 piece Madagascar RW back - the other a spruce top with drop dead gorgeous birdseye maple. The unfortunate part is that I can only keep one and am pushing myself to make a decision on which one to keep and which one to sell - it's a very hard decision as they're both great guitars but wife is wanting to put some $$$ back in the account so I'll make a decision sometime this week. If anyone has any interest in an instrument of this quality, PM me an email address and I'll send some photos. The RW guitar sold on Delcamp earlier and was traded back to Chris for a higher end instrument - you can do a search for his name over there and see some photos. Check out Chris at his website, Sobelguitars.com. When I make my decision, I'll list one on the 'For Sale' section of the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maple4.jpg (47.1 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Skip Ellis; 04-28-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Wish I was in a position to buy right now, as I've been wanting to try one of Chris's guitars. I'd probably go for the spruce/maple as I haven't had a maple guitar in a while. Best of luck deciding, and with the eventual sale!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Sobel is a great builder and person, plus he's younger so I'd imagine he has a great future.

I've personally seen his stash and sourcing for cedar, so I associate him with the special trait of having exceptional cedar to choose from. If you're the type who might own several guitars at once, that might be my recommendation, all other considerations being equal.

EDIT: Plug that I'm seeing Chris will be at the NW Instrument show this weekend, near Portland: http://www.nwmusicalinstrumentshow.o...ors2018_2.html
Old 04-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Sobel is a great builder and person, plus he's younger so I'd imagine he has a great future.

I've personally seen his stash and sourcing for cedar, so I associate him with the special trait of having exceptional cedar to choose from. If you're the type who might own several guitars at once, that might be my recommendation, all other considerations being equal.

EDIT: Plug that I'm seeing Chris will be at the NW Instrument show this weekend, near Portland: http://www.nwmusicalinstrumentshow.o...ors2018_2.html
Yep - the cedar on this one is fabulous and goes great with the 4 piece rosewood back - very full sound.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM

I own one of his Cedar/Madagascar rosewood b/s

I enjoy it so much that my purchase of a Sobel guitar has effectively
Cured me of GAS

I highly recommend this luthier

I am sure all his guitars are great

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical