The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-25-2018, 04:55 PM

Default X7 pickup options?

So, I went ahead and ordered a custom X7 from Alistair at Emerald Guitars with a couple of options that were important to me (12" fretboard radius, pinless bridge and a trussrod delete) but I didn't specify a pickup option so I would get the standard pickup which is the LR Baggs Element system. Is it worth it to upgrade to the LR Baggs Anthem system for the $150 up charge? I may plug in once a month or so at most. I like the simplicity of a passive system. Are there any passive systems that are worth looking into? Are they even made anymore? I've been out of the acoustic pickup world for so long that I don't know what's around any more. The latest thing that I have is a Fishman Prefix system on some of my Taylors from the 90s.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:14 PM

Hi Bob, I’ve got a standard X7 with the Element system, it seems to work fine for my (non-professional) needs. I guess the Anthem upgrade might be worth it to some, I have no experience of it.

I am probably not going to be the only one to suggest having a K&K Pure Mini P/U installed.
These are a passive, soundboard transducer type , VERY popular with the folks here . I’ve got one in a Martin dread and they are very good, tiny, practically weightless, invisible in use and maintenance free.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:04 PM

Hmmm, I like the idea of passive because you don't have to worry about batteries that might leak after sitting for a while. I always pull the batteries out of my guitars if they're sitting for a while. I have heard of K&K before. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

My X7 has a B-Band pickup in it. It is a barn-door insert in the upper side, and Emerald's current favored pickup is the LR Baggs Element (I have one of those on my X20). Both of those are good pickups based on my experience. I prefer an active pickup over passive, so you don't have to have a DI box or other EQ if you don't want it. Between those two, I prefer the B-Band because of having more EQ options right on the guitar. Seems that barn-door pickups have fallen from favor based on esthetics, but I like 'em.

Change the battery once a year or so, and I have never had them fail mid-performance.

The K&K mini gets a lot of love here, and you can let Emerald know that is what you want to install so they can do the prep work, if you want to install it yourself.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 PM

I have switched all my batteries in everything to NON rechargeable LITHIUM batteries (Energiser make all the popular sizes).
Cost a bit more, but very long shelf life , very long operating life, NEVER gonna leak (they claim).

But I’d prolly go with the K&K for the X7 , although I do like having the onboard voume and tone controls of the Element and they are also very lightweight and discreet. The K&K may require an external pre-amp for optimum results, if your amp doesn’t have built in eq. Mine runs perfectly well straight into my Fishman Loudbox Artist amp
Old 03-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Guest 928

I've gone with the K&K on a Cargo, an x10 and an X20. More recently I went with the Barbera pickup on an X7-OSN thin-bodied electric--and I really like its balance. I also decided to not go passive and have a battery with tone & volume control. I'm very happy with the arrangement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber