The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2018, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

I play my Primetone picks almost exclusively these days even after comparing to my Bluechip and Gravity Gold picks.

The Primetones bring out more top end complexity out of my acoustics that I really love. If you like a dark, thuddy acoustic tone they are probably not for you. I primarily strum and play pop, rock and folk tunes, mostly.

The Bluechip picks are close, but not exactly the same in that upper end sweetness that the Primetones coax from the guitar. That said, they have a fantastic natural grip when your fingers get warm and they are silent on the strings. I do l like them a lot and if I got that same satisfying top end from them, I would play them exclusively, but I use them mostly with my Goodall, which already has a lot of lush, complex tone.

Gravity Gold are somewhere in between, but I don't care for the grip and prefer the tone of the two others.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Snark (the tuner company) recently came out with a line of teardrop guitar picks. I purchased some and really like the tone. I own all the usual expensive picks like blue chip, wegen, John Pearse, etc. These Snarks are cheap and sound very good. I sent some to my brother who’s been thrilled.
Hey there,

Regarding the Snark ones, which kind are you liking the best, the Neo Toirtoise or the Celluloid?

Thanks...
Martin Dreadnaught Jr-E Sapele - Daughter's Toy
Yamaha FG JR2S - Son's Toy
Gretsch Jim Dandy - Seafoam Green - Everybody's Toy
Old 05-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Blue Chip TD45 for me, but I like Primetones and Ultex too, especially with a darker guitar. Ultex feel a lot like the Blue Chip, so I tend to carry those around with me. A lot cheaper to lose.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
Blue Chip TD45 for me, but I like Primetones and Ultex too, especially with a darker guitar. Ultex feel a lot like the Blue Chip, so I tend to carry those around with me. A lot cheaper to lose.
As I often say, it's my belief that the Dunlop Ultex line is the best guitar pick for the money on the planet.

sm
Old 06-25-2018, 04:40 AM

So… I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd give the picks a little time, and even changed strings on my guitars to see what the perfect pick everyone should be using! (Next I'm going to 'discover' the perfect capo and then solve the 'bridge pin' mystery! )

So, I've got a Red Bear (amazing service after USPS delivered to the wrong address!), Blue Chip TAD 40, Charmed Life NTR 1.15 & NF90, Wegan, a couple of Gravity picks and some others.

On my Gibson Hummingbird, I'm really enjoying the Wegan. It sort of mellows out the sound. Nice grip on them with the holes. Since I've changed strings from the D'Addarios (I know there's lot's of love for them, but not from me... I'm strange) to GHS Vintage Mediums, it plays very nicely with the Charmed Life NF90 in particular and the Blue Chip just seems to always work.

On my Martin, it depends on my mood, the alignment of the moon and what not. The Blue Chip is amazing, but so is the Charmed Life. The NF90 is really growing on me.

So, the perfect pick that everyone should be using is … umm... IDK!! I have to do some more testing. Maybe I should try another guitar? (The Martin X series or Rainsong 12 strings have both caught my eye) .

Hold tight! This may be a while. . All of them have shown to have top quality customer service and I don't regret a single purchase.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
So… I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd give the picks a little time, and even changed strings on my guitars to see what the perfect pick everyone should be using! (Next I'm going to 'discover' the perfect capo and then solve the 'bridge pin' mystery! )

So, I've got a Red Bear (amazing service after USPS delivered to the wrong address!), Blue Chip TAD 40, Charmed Life NTR 1.15 & NF90, Wegan, a couple of Gravity picks and some others.

On my Gibson Hummingbird, I'm really enjoying the Wegan. It sort of mellows out the sound. Nice grip on them with the holes. Since I've changed strings from the D'Addarios (I know there's lot's of love for them, but not from me... I'm strange) to GHS Vintage Mediums, it plays very nicely with the Charmed Life NF90 in particular and the Blue Chip just seems to always work.

On my Martin, it depends on my mood, the alignment of the moon and what not. The Blue Chip is amazing, but so is the Charmed Life. The NF90 is really growing on me.

So, the perfect pick that everyone should be using is … umm... IDK!! I have to do some more testing. Maybe I should try another guitar? (The Martin X series or Rainsong 12 strings have both caught my eye) .

Hold tight! This may be a while. . All of them have shown to have top quality customer service and I don't regret a single purchase.
I am another player who prefers the tone and feel of GHS strings over D'Addario's. I haven't tried a Wegen or Red Bear mostly because I have been so satisfied with my Blue Chip and a variety of CL's. I do find that I like the tone of Ultex on one guitar, the vespal on another, and then the casein on a different guitar. It sure is nice to have so many great choices and as you have already mentioned - great customer service is a wonderful thing!

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
Actually I visited all music store in town this Saturday and while all carry a variety of Tortex only the biggest chain store (Long & McQuade) had Ultex in .73 and 1.0 thickness. I got both and actually really like the .73 though it's a bit thin for my liking. For my next accessory online order I will certainly include packs of .88 Ultex and Primetone.

It also seems that while the brown primetone picks are made of the same ultex material, there is also a line of "shaped" poycarbonate primetone that seem to be very different:

https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/p...inish=100154-3

Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Actually I visited all music store in town this Saturday and while all carry a variety of Tortex only the biggest chain store (Long & McQuade) had Ultex in .73 and 1.0 thickness. I got both and actually really like the .73 though it's a bit thin for my liking. For my next accessory online order I will certainly include packs of .88 Ultex and Primetone.

It also seems that while the brown primetone picks are made of the same ultex material, there is also a line of "shaped" poycarbonate primetone that seem to be very different:

]
I love the .73, .88 and 1.0 in Ultex and primetone, but I suggest giving the 1.14 a go. It’s becoming one of my favorites. Also experiment with Ultex and Ultex sharp. The sharp gives a different attack and tone to it than the regular.
I like them both for different uses.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I use those often when playing electric bass, where they work great. I've played around with them only a little with guitar however.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I love the .73, .88 and 1.0 in Ultex and primetone, but I suggest giving the 1.14 a go. It’s becoming one of my favorites. Also experiment with Ultex and Ultex sharp. The sharp gives a different attack and tone to it than the regular.
I like them both for different uses.
Russ, you're singing my tune. For many many years the Ultex 1.14 was my go-to pick, in my case the teardrop.

I tell everyone the Ultex line of picks from Dunlop is the best value line in the industry, bar none. I love everything Dunlop does, but there's something really special about the Ultex line.

Thanks for your post.

scott
Old 06-26-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I tried these. Unmodified, I found them to have a muting/muffling effect.

When beveled and polished, the tone became became crisp and clear, and the thickness (I think 3mm) was nice for speed and control of dynamics on single note picking. I was very pleased with the result.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post

You know, honestly, just going into our third year of business, we're just happy to be part of the conversation. To hear our name mentioned in the same post as the "big boys" is still a thrill.

scott memmer
Old 06-29-2018, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
I play my Primetone picks almost exclusively these days even after comparing to my Bluechip and Gravity Gold picks.

The Primetones bring out more top end complexity out of my acoustics that I really love. If you like a dark, thuddy acoustic tone they are probably not for you. I primarily strum and play pop, rock and folk tunes, mostly.

The Bluechip picks are close, but not exactly the same in that upper end sweetness that the Primetones coax from the guitar. That said, they have a fantastic natural grip when your fingers get warm and they are silent on the strings. I do l like them a lot and if I got that same satisfying top end from them, I would play them exclusively, but I use them mostly with my Goodall, which already has a lot of lush, complex tone.

Gravity Gold are somewhere in between, but I don't care for the grip and prefer the tone of the two others.
The Gravity Golds are made from a very good material. I've experimented with it. And at $20 a throw, they're selling them too cheap. Jump on 'em before they go up in price.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion