The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2017, 08:25 AM

Default Home Acoustic Amp

Can anyone give me guidance on a home acoustic guitar amp? I have several acoustic electric guitars and as of yesterday have 0 electric guitars. I have a loop pedal and would love to use it on my acoustics but my left over black star amp sounds harsh when plugging in my acoustic. If this discussion has happened elsewhere can someone point me too it. I don't want to be "that guy" that asks a question thats been answered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_bl View Post
Can anyone give me guidance on a home acoustic guitar amp? I have several acoustic electric guitars and as of yesterday have 0 electric guitars. I have a loop pedal and would love to use it on my acoustics but my left over black star amp sounds harsh when plugging in my acoustic. If this discussion has happened elsewhere can someone point me too it. I don't want to be "that guy" that asks a question thats been answered

Acoustic amps do occasionally get talked about here. The Fishman Loudbox Mini is a fine acoustic amp that comes in a small package. Sweetwater has a good package deal going on https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LoudBoxMiniPK. I'm not affiliated in any way with Sweetwater, I did buy this same package deal about year or so ago.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Thanks for that link. And even if you where affiliated I wouldn't blame you they are awesome!

Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I love my Loudbox Mini. I have the same set up, as well. If you're not in a rush, occasionally a used one will go up for sale here. Otherwise, GC usually has used ones, too.

Save money on the amp to leave some change for the next GAS attack
Old 03-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Hi Luke:

Welcome to the forum. Electric amps will sound harsh because they are made to give color or distortion to the sound, whereas acoustic amps are made to give a flat, clean sound. As VJP5 pointed out, a Fishman Loudbox mini is a great starter acoustic amp.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the fender offerings?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I picked up a Fender Acoustasonic 15 for exactly what you described (especially looping).

It works great and the second (mic) channel input is nice for backing track inputs.

It's very clean and has good tone controls and a built-in chorus. It's actually a bit overpowered at just 15 solid-state watts so I rarely get it above 2 volume.

Very good amp for the money IMO.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-07-2017, 09:13 AM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AcoustaS40

Sweetwater has this on price drop right now. I'm liking the looks of it.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 AM

I have the Fender SFX acoustic guitar amp...it's fabulous. I wasn't sure about the onboard effects until I tried playing Treetop Flyer by Stephen Stills. Then it all made sense, the Chorus and EQ sounds fabulous on that song. I use it mainly for practicing at home...I know it's pricey but worth every nickel. I took it out and played with at a gymnasium sized room. It sounded great there too. I had a friend play thru it while I walked around the room...the whole room was covered in sound very well. At $899 it's expensive, but should give you a lifetime of great sound. I have no regrets buying this amp.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I picked up a Fender Acoustasonic 15 for exactly what you described (especially looping).

It works great and the second (mic) channel input is nice for backing track inputs.

It's very clean and has good tone controls and a built-in chorus. It's actually a bit overpowered at just 15 solid-state watts so I rarely get it above 2 volume.

Very good amp for the money IMO.
That's what I use at home with my acoustics and looper pedal. I picked one up new on sale for $80. Works great for my needs.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 AM

just an out-of-the-box thinking: if you have an hifi - audio system at home, you might obtain quite a natural sound via a simple preamp (if your guitars don't have an onboard one already). Few bucks over eBay and off you go. No effects and just a little EQ usually, but it works fine for home entertainment.

I apply this idea in a different way actually. As from time to time I do recording, I invested in an excellent condenser mic (Aston Origin) and a very good preamp (Art Pro Channel). When I want to fool around amplified, from the preamp I go to my hifi or to my headphones. The sound is way above any acoustic amp I had (Schertler, AER, Fishman etc). It is not giggable, but it's not meant to be...
Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 AM

Love my Fishman Loudbox Performer and Mini.

But I'd also take a look at the just-released acoustic amp from BOSS. I seem to like everything that company builds and you KNOW it will be bulletproof.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:49 PM

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini and a Fender Acoustisonic Jr. both. For around the house I usually use the Loudbox Mini. It gets plenty loud enough, is pretty compact and light.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 PM

For a low cost solution consider the Bulgera AC60. For a mid priced small combo amp, consider the Loudbox mini or higher. For a more full featured small amp consider the new Boss Acoustic Singer. For a high priced/quality small-ish amp, consider a Schertler, AER, or Line 6 L2t. Up from there, your in the compact PA system territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-08-2017, 06:51 AM

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. A search will get you thousands of replies. That said, I'll weigh in here.

First off, anything in the signal chain will color the sound. Mic, cable, mixer, power amp, speaker,...... every piece of equipment will have an a affect on the sound. Once you amplify an acoustic source it is no longer acoustic, it is an electronically amplified signal.

As far as amps for electric guitars being unsuitable for amplifying acoustic guitars, I could not disagree more. Most so called harshness or other unwanted tonal qualities can easily be tamed with eq and/or a proper impedance matched DI. I have been through the acoustic amp thing and have settled on my 1982 Fender Princeton Reverb II as my favorite amp for plugging in my acoustic guitar (this has all been discussed in prior threads). I find the warmth a tube amp gives to acoustic tone very pleasing compared to the sterile tone of solid state acoustic amps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification