The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

I enjoyed the comparison and the reveal! And I agree with you 100% on the gigbag issue. I have owned the RainSong Shorty for 7 months and have been looking for a gigbag that is similar to the GSmini. Easy to find the inexpensive flimsy gigbags... that have a sloppy fit. There are nicer ones that run a couple hundred $$, but are heavy compared to the GSmini bag. I haven't been able to find anything that hits all the right buttons of fit, light weight, and protection.

For what it's worth, I have taken the GSmini from the desert, to the Gulf coast, back to the desert, to the coast, then spent two summers living on our boat in the Pacific Northwest with the GSmini... it has shown no sign of "discomfort" from all that traveling; no humidifier in the gigbag (did I mention how much I like that gigbag??? ) and it holds tune.

I initially felt like you, in that the guitar felt "delicate" probably due to the light weight. I was concerned about carting it around, when my wife said, "That's why you bought it - just take it and don't worry about it. You can always replace it... if you have to."

She was right.

I had kinda talked myself into a CF guitar, based on the traveling aspect and all the changes in climate our traveling entails. I really like the Shorty, but that heavy TKL case, which is a very nice case btw, is a beast to tote around. Give me a nice gigbag (like the one for the GSmini), and I'd like the whole RainSong ownership experience even more. I have played out with both guitars (I have a ES-Go pickup in the Mini), but the Mini is easier to tote with the backpack straps, leaving my hands free to carry other stuff.

I really thought I might get rid of the Mini after getting the Shorty. Nope. The last gig I did before we left on this trip, I grabbed the Mini.

The manufacturers and dealers shouldn't underestimate the "whole package" with a guitar. Making a lightweight, durable guitar is great... making it easy to tote around only makes it better (for some of us).

I don't want a flimsy gigbag, and I don't want one that is just as heavy as the hard case. Now that I think about it, the gigbag for the GSmini was one of the reasons I bought it.

Captain Jim
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM

Great post Jim. Honestly I was also thinking that one day my GS Mini would be sold off but it's just too good. And yes, the complete package is quite important, especially with a travel guitar. Although neither the RS Shorty or the Parlor were designed as a travel guitar, I would love to see a GS Mini level gig bag option for them.

Steve, fun thread, and I love your cover. First time I listened to your recording I actually forgot to listen for the guitar.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Very fun and interesting results. I guess what Ted says to his customers is pretty spot on when he says that Rainsongs offer more of the Taylor sound because these clips were very hard to distinguish between. I couldn't agree more that CF guitars have come a long way. I'm saving my hard earned dollars for one right now....
Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Great post Jim. Honestly I was also thinking that one day my GS Mini would be sold off but it's just too good. And yes, the complete package is quite important, especially with a travel guitar. Although neither the RS Shorty or the Parlor were designed as a travel guitar, I would love to see a GS Mini level gig bag option for them.

Steve, fun thread, and I love your cover. First time I listened to your recording I actually forgot to listen for the guitar.
Jim's post was right on as you recognized, that "total package". The Parlor was not designed as a travel guitar but it clearly size wise fits the bill. Why not offer a travel version with a great gig bag like the Mini? I can probably believe that the mini is road worthy with that gig bag. But I really like this little wood guitar in this version, it's not going to the beach, my Rainsong is.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-17-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:17 PM

Well I guessed wrong, but I'm not disappointed. Actually that Taylor sounded so good I though it was Carbon.

When it comes to sound in a small Guitar, less is more when it comes to structure.

Great thread Steve! God bless those that work so we can learn!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-17-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
i travel a great deal with my job and I have a CA cargo I use primarily for this purpose.
I think the CA Cargo is the ultimate travel acoustic guitar.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 AM

On the topic of hard cases vs gig bags...

Before I owned any CF guitars, I always felt a hard shell case was an absolute necessity. I got my first CF guitar in 2006 and own (or have owned) several and now I feel I would much rather have a nice gig bag instead of a hard case. Why? Because CF guitars don't need to be babied. Unless the hard case is flight qualified, I don't see that there are significant advantages over a good gig bag and gig bags are so much easier to carry around and store.

When I bought my CA GX, I asked if I could get it with a gig bag instead of a hard case. Unfortunately, the answer was no, they didn't offer the GX with a gig bag. I think it's a shame because CF guitars just don't need hard cases for everyday life.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Final thoughts after a week, the GS Mini is just a winner, it was a sweetness and a small feel playability that just draws you in. The Englemann top is also a very nice upgrade. There is a long running thread in the "General" area about them. Only going to make 1000 "thats a limited run for Taylor" LOL and the profit goes to charity. The buyer is rewarded big time as well. Wonder if the honeymoon will wear off of this little thing? Still grabbed my Parlor for church praise band practice last night. Both are keepers.
Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 02-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

I hope the honeymoon lasts Steve, I like the Minis, I've owned 3 of them, I love them when I first get one, but after a short while I find that if I am going to play a guitar, I would always pick up a full size. It sounds better and plays easier for me. I think that if you need a guitar the size of the Mini, there's nothing better, but other than that, I think there's a lot of better choices for the $$$.

I know that's just me and others wouldn't let their Mini go for anything. That's cool. I'm sure I have "keepers" that others wouldn't give a second look. LOL Your's certainly seems like it's more special than the ones I had, so hopefully that's the difference!

I'm not trying to be a downer here, just giving my opinion and experience, I do honestly hope it continues to suck you in and be one of your BEST guitars ever!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM

Woke up playing the Englemann GS Mini and the Rainsong Parlor. It is frightening how similar they sound. Probably says more about the Parlor in that they have refined it to be that close. The Englemann has a certain sweetness and overtones that give it a little extra? The biggest difference now is I am more at home with the slimmer neck of the GS, the Rainsong seems like a monster going back and forth. You do give up some things with these smaller guitars but they can can seem to win you over. I wonder if Ellis and McPherson may have recognized a trend with their new smaller carbon.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 AM

I think your spot on Doubleneck. I can't speak for other CF manufacturers but have played both neck profiles on Rainsongs, the N1 and NS (essentially an N2).

My experience is that the N2 is more comfortable around the fretboard edges but way more meaty overall. The N1 has the more modern profile but feels a bit sharp at the same edges the N2 does not. The advantage for most on the N2 is that Rainsong is running a rod down the middle for the need of any tweaking. The main advantage of the N1 for most is the modern profile. I would like to see Rainsong come up with a neck that meets the best of both worlds and imagine that there may be up the road for them- there just seems to be a huge leap between the 2 profiles that would be ergonomically awkward for most in the long haul.

I know you say that switching back and forth between the necks of your Rainsong profiles is notable but not a dealbreaker, but I do wonder if it will be for me- every guitar I have ever played has had a fast neck until I started gassing for the Shorty. I think that, for my playing style, I will have difficulty going back and forth between the necks of my Breedlove and Shorty (once aquired) and will have to settle for one or the other. If I ever bought another guitar it would need to have the same or a very close neck profile to the one's I already have. It seems somewhat limiting maybe? I don't know. Only when I've had days and weeks with the NS in my hands will I better be able to assess.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM

Well the GS Mini has worked its charms, its the one I grab now. Love the slimmer neck, and sweet sound, and compact size. It really brings out how much the beefy neck of the Parlor is a accommodation for me. I'm electrifying it now and working out what I like on that side. Love long honeymoons.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Default Issues with cold temps?

Gentleman,
I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I play a GS Mini with a Baggs VTC and take it on missions trips. This summer, I will be spending 2 weeks in intense heat outdoors with my guitar. Because of the heat issue, I am considering a carbon fiber guitar. I am also going to be spending time in extreme cold situations on other future missions trips. I have been told that carbon fiber guitars become very brittle in cold environments. Have you ever experienced this issue in the cold? Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestn7 View Post
Gentleman,
I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I play a GS Mini with a Baggs VTC and take it on missions trips. This summer, I will be spending 2 weeks in intense heat outdoors with my guitar. Because of the heat issue, I am considering a carbon fiber guitar. I am also going to be spending time in extreme cold situations on other future missions trips. I have been told that carbon fiber guitars become very brittle in cold environments. Have you ever experienced this issue in the cold? Thanks!
Brittle in cold, I don't think so. Carbon is more brittle than steel but at very high loads. Nothing you would experience in a guitar. I would be taking my carbon on mission trips.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 AM

If you have flown a discount airline lately (I'm no longer adding to my lifetime 980K United miles) without buying special boarding privileges, there is no place to put anything up-top and a big backup of roller bags that have been gate checked. I've got a Traveler Escape MKII which has, under these conditions, been inspected by the flight staff and easily stored up-top in-front-of or on-top-of someone's giant wheelie. I've got a JBL Flip and a Zoom MS-50G inside the bag along the neck (the Flip is wrapped in a leather guitar strap and the Zoom is sitting in motorcycle shop padded ditty bags, bag on bag). A little hall reverb, some modestly aggressive graphic EQ, a few cascaded clean gain stages to get the signal up to the headphone input level of the Flip, and you've got a rig ready to jam with monster dreadnoughts. I've added an arm rest to make the Traveler more comfortable to play. I've tried the MKIII and the new Shadow PU to my ear is less pleasant sounding than the MKII's Baggs Element, but likely in the range of the Zoom's ability to fix. BTW, the latest software upgrade for the MS-50G improves the tuner to the point that it easily outperforms my Snarks.

For me at least it is a great relief to be able to walk on a plane at the last minute and know my guitar is going with me.

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber