The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Guest 928

The best sales persons in the world are the people who have just purchased an item. Give them some time and see how quickly they resell. With CF guitars I've noticed very little resale. Those X20s may be as good as everyone says they are. I don't know how you are living without one.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The best sales persons in the world are the people who have just purchased an item. Give them some time and see how quickly they resell. With CF guitars I've noticed very little resale. Those X20s may be as good as everyone says they are. I don't know how you are living without one.
The reason is that I just don't have any GAS for one, that's all. They are larger than I prefer.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
The reason is that I just don't have any GAS for one, that's all. They are larger than I prefer.
Yeah, I said that, too. Almost word-for-word. And then, thankfully, the image of that Select Series X20 grabbed me by the face and wrestled me to the ground. My wife asked, "What are you doing on the floor?"

I replied, "Look at the photo - I think I'm buying another guitar."

Fortunately, she looked and said, "You better snap that up before it's gone!"

I don't have 18 guitars... but if I did, I would think 19 is even better... it's a prime number. And, I think we all know that "prime" is good - i.e. prime rib... Amazon Prime.

You asked if the X20 is "my favorite"... and while it is definitely in the top two, it is my wife's favorite; she loves the sound of that guitar. And, who am I to question her exceptionally good taste??

I think I've made my point.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
↑↑↑ This. ↑↑↑

While I do love the headstock design of the X20 and the curvy ergonomics of the body, the guitar is too large for my tastes too (mostly with regard to neck length). I do think they sound fantastic on videos though.

I realize that Emerald will do a 12 fret but that would come with an upcharge (although I would be willing to pay for it since it's that important to me). I still can't get past the offset soundhole though and wish that Emerald would provide a line of guitars with the traditional look. I think the T5s are gorgeous and have imagined a short scale X20 with traditional soundhole placement.

I know that Emerald can do all of that but it would be a custom and would cost me dearly. I already have a Shorty that suits my CF needs, and unless I could try my custom "dream" Emerald risk-free, I just can't bring myself to exploring that expensive and, possibly delusional, fantasy.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Yeah, I said that, too. Almost word-for-word. And then, thankfully, the image of that Select Series X20 grabbed me by the face and wrestled me to the ground. My wife asked, "What are you doing on the floor?"

I replied, "Look at the photo - I think I'm buying another guitar."

Fortunately, she looked and said, "You better snap that up before it's gone!"

I don't have 18 guitars... but if I did, I would think 19 is even better... it's a prime number. And, I think we all know that "prime" is good - i.e. prime rib... Amazon Prime.

You asked if the X20 is "my favorite"... and while it is definitely in the top two, it is my wife's favorite; she loves the sound of that guitar. And, who am I to question her exceptionally good taste??

I think I've made my point.

A good tale to add into one of your books!

It isn't out of the realm of possibility for me to acquire an X20. But the GAS hasn't taken me down yet!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
↑↑↑ This. ↑↑↑

While I do love the headstock design of the X20 and the curvy ergonomics of the body, the guitar is too large for my tastes too (mostly with regard to neck length). I do think they sound fantastic on videos though.

I realize that Emerald will do a 12 fret but that would come with an upcharge (although I would be willing to pay for it since it's that important to me). I still can't get past the offset soundhole though and wish that Emerald would provide a line of guitars with the traditional look. I think the T5s are gorgeous and have imagined a short scale X20 with traditional soundhole placement.

I know that Emerald can do all of that but it would be a custom and would cost me dearly. I already have a Shorty that suits my CF needs, and unless I could try my custom "dream" Emerald risk-free, I just can't bring myself to exploring that expensive and, possibly delusional, fantasy.
Indeed. The size REALLY is an issue for me. I just don't like how big it is.

An X10, on the other hand, has a VERY good chance of entering my harem of guitars! I think the X10 is probably an ideal size (for me) in an Emerald guitar. I like the X7 as well, for times when I want something smaller than my favorite size, which is found in the CH-OM1100NS, and also happens to sound absolutely glorious to me.

Between the CH-OM1100NS and the X7 Artisan, my CF needs really are fully and very well met.

Last edited by DHart; 11-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
...my CF needs really are fully and very well met.
Well I can never say never

I'm curious about the X20, and sure gets glowing reviews around here. Having said that, you are one of few that have had the opportunity (thanks Kramster) to actually a/b the guitar I have and the X20. Your review and subsequent purchase of the CH-OM1100NS have really helped me deal with any FOMO I may have had. I admit though that I'm ignorant of a guitar I've never tried, could the X20 change my mind? Would I sell the Shorty to fund it??

What I can say with confidence though, that after over 10 years of playing acoustic steel string exclusively I like smallish guitars. My other guitar is a Martin D Jr. 2, which is incidentally even smaller than the Shorty.

So, whoever wants to let me borrow their X20 for an undisclosed amount of time to, you know, test drive it and all.... shoot me a PM
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
What I can say with confidence though, that after over 10 years of playing acoustic steel string exclusively I like smallish guitars. My other guitar is a Martin D Jr. 2, which is incidentally even smaller than the Shorty.
I, too, can say that with confidence.

My first dreadnaught was a D-35 which I bought in the mid seventies. Since then I've had several more dreadnaughts. I'm 6'1" with proportional length arms and legs and have no problem playing and handling dreads. I just don't appreciate them any more. I don't need the size, nor the volume.

I have found a true comfort zone with the OM28-V, CH-OM1100NS, E10-00-M, and the X7 Artisan.

So, regardless of how full-size guitars can offer a fuller/louder sound, I have come to love the sound and the feel of OM guitars. I don't need the volume offered by larger guitars.

And while even smaller guitars can't quite match the relatively full and rich sound of OM-size guitars, I'm ok with exchanging a small compromise in fullness of sound for the comfort of a smaller size guitar.

Each of us has different needs, desires, and tastes in guitars. Some people want or need the output generated by full-size guitars. Others have their wants and needs better met with smaller guitars. Fortunately, there are such a variety of instrument sizes and designs such that there are more than enough to meet anyone's needs.

Last edited by DHart; 10-31-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Guest 928

As much as I liked the 20, I must admit it was a bit big for my play. I sold an X10N to get an X20-OSN, and then sold the 20 for a custom X10-OSN. For my taste, the X10 is the Goldilocks of guitars, obviously a very subjective and personal judgment.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
As much as I liked the 20, I must admit it was a bit big for my play. I sold an X10N to get an X20-OSN, and then sold the 20 for a custom X10-OSN. For my taste, the X10 is the Goldilocks of guitars, obviously a very subjective and personal judgment.
I totally understand. I think an X10 would be the ideal size Emerald guitar.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I totally understand. I think an X10 would be the ideal size Emerald guitar.
Hmmm, if an X10 were to become a standard model offering, I wonder what the good Captain will do? He will be so conflicted. I’m not sure he could resist having an X model trifecta!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hmmm, if an X10 were to become a standard model offering, I wonder what the good Captain will do? He will be so conflicted. I’m not sure he could resist having an X model trifecta!
If an X10 were to become a standard offering, I'm pretty sure I would HAVE to order one.

As for the Captain... pretty sure he'd need one too!

Problem is, Emerald seems all consumed with the models they're making now, especially with those elaborate, exotic, multi-necked models. Personally, I think they'd be better off making the X10 again vs. those exotic, multi-necked things. But my views are certainly not the driver for Emerald's production plans.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Guest 928

The problem is that Alistair is an artist. I suspect that his production lines are based on the notion of "what's necessary and what's sufficient." That leaves him time for exploration.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I assume the S in NS stands for Shorty. But, what is shorter than a H-OM1000N2? What makes a Shorty a Shorty?
The "S" stands for the 12-fret short scale neck. Currently there are two neck options from Rainsong, the N2, which is 14-fret with standard, 25.4" scale, and the NS neck which is 12-Fret with short, 24.9" scale. All current models have a fully adjustable truss rod.

The "Shorty" name came about by adding the shorter NS neck to the OM, making it shorter. Once the NS neck was introduced on the Shorty and the P12 parlor, I naturally asked Ashvin to build us a handful of "shorty" models using the larger WS, grand auditorium body. This custom, which was called the LA-LE2 was a great success, selling out all 15 guitars in a few months, so naturally I asked Ashvin if I could order other models with the NS neck, and he obliged. So today you can get any model with the NS neck. In fact, one of my favorite CF guitars is my BI-DR1100NS, which is a Black Ice (BI) Dreadnought (DR) without electronics (1100) and short scale 12-fret (NS) neck.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
The "S" stands for the 12-fret short scale neck. Currently there are two neck options from Rainsong, the N2, which is 14-fret with standard, 25.4" scale, and the NS neck which is 12-Fret with short, 24.9" scale. All current models have a fully adjustable truss rod.

The "Shorty" name came about by adding the shorter NS neck to the OM, making it shorter. Once the NS neck was introduced on the Shorty and the P12 parlor, I naturally asked Ashvin to build us a handful of "shorty" models using the larger WS, grand auditorium body. This custom, which was called the LA-LE2 was a great success, selling out all 15 guitars in a few months, so naturally I asked Ashvin if I could order other models with the NS neck, and he obliged. So today you can get any model with the NS neck. In fact, one of my favorite CF guitars is my BI-DR1100NS, which is a Black Ice (BI) Dreadnought (DR) without electronics (1100) and short scale 12-fret (NS) neck.
BI-DR1100NS ~ Ooooh... that sounds nice, and I'm not even much of a dreadnaught guy anymore. Based on the awesome sound of my CH-OM1100NS, I'll bet it sounds phenomenal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber