The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Default A long wait - but well worth it.

(pictures in the 10th reply comment to this post) Finally last week, my new Emerald X20 Woody, with Bubinga top came in. I spent about a year dithering about ordering one, both due to the cost, and concerns I would not be able to see or play it first. This forum actually pushed me over the edge so I finally ordered it this August.

Another concern of mine was that I have a bit of a bad right shoulder, but it has improved in the last year, so I decided to take the plunge. And I am glad I did. The guitar is supremely comfortable to play (I feel it plays like an old OOO size guitar I used to have). I'm not much of a player, and do a fair amount of strumming and am really impressed with both the sound and the sound hole placement. The big issue I now face is: do I keep my Taylor 314 that I still love? I confess, I really like the idea of ditching humidity concerns.

As a side note, I worked with Kevin, and he did a great job of keeping me informed when shipments were delayed due to a lack of cases. Now we'll see if my first shot at posting pictures works: (It failed, but I think I added them in a reply, below several of the earliest comments.)

Last edited by Texrider; 12-08-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: To note pictures were posted in a later reply
Old 12-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new X20, TexRider! I'm sure it's a beauty, but I was unable to see your image. Even tried downloading it and opening with Photoshop; no joy.

As far as keeping the 314... well, you did say you still love it, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to find it a new home.

Enjoy!
Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 PM

Congrats! Welcome to the addiction. You'll find that amazing a the x20 is, you'll forever be wondering if the 30 might sound better or the 7 might travel better. Hahaha. Enjoy!
Old 12-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the X20 ! I hope you can get some pics up, sure would like to see the bubinga. Keep the Taylor, you'll know when the time comes to sell it. If it ever does.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:09 PM

I agree -- the urge to Sell! Sell! Sell! is almost overwhelming when you buy a fancy new guitar, but I've always been happy when it passed and I still had the guitars I loved.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 PM

Please try again to post a photo ! Thanks.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations!
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-08-2018, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! The X20 is a great all-around guitar. I bought one a few months back when my main acoustic was a Martin 000-15M and I also thought that the X20 felt very similar despite being a larger guitar. I think the X20 sounds considerably bigger, more like a dreadnaught. Since the primary reason I got the X20 was humidity related, once I knew how much I liked the X20, I sold the 000-15M. And I’ve since added an X7, which I actually find myself reaching for more often, but love them both.

If you can figure out the photo posting business, I’d love to see what your veneer looks like. Emerald has really been hitting it out of the park withtheir woody veneers lately.

Enjoy!

-Ray
Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texrider View Post
Finally last week, my new Emerald X20 Woody, with Bubinga top came in. I spent about a year dithering about ordering one, both due to the cost, and concerns I would not be able to see or play it first. This forum actually pushed me over the edge so I finally ordered it this August.

Another concern of mine was that I have a bit of a bad right shoulder, but it has improved in the last year, so I decided to take the plunge. And I am glad I did. The guitar is supremely comfortable to play (I feel it plays like an old OOO size guitar I used to have). I'm not much of a player, and do a fair amount of strumming and am really impressed with both the sound and the sound hole placement. The big issue I now face is: do I keep my Taylor 314 that I still love? I confess, I really like the idea of ditching humidity concerns.

As a side note, I worked with Kevin, and he did a great job of keeping me informed when shipments were delayed due to a lack of cases. Now we'll see if my first shot at posting pictures works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hs4itqfre5...1.psd.jpg?dl=0
Congrats on the new X20. You are very right about how comfortable the X20 body is despite its size. I have a 000 and the X20 feels much smaller due to the contours and bevels. So very comfortable.

If you want you can email me your photos and I'll post them on your thread for you. My email is in my user profile. Note that I've got a gig today in a couple hours so I won't be able to post them until later this afternoon.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texrider View Post
Finally last week, my new Emerald X20 Woody, with Bubinga top came in. I spent about a year dithering about ordering one, both due to the cost, and concerns I would not be able to see or play it first. This forum actually pushed me over the edge so I finally ordered it this August.

As a side note, I worked with Kevin, and he did a great job of keeping me informed when shipments were delayed due to a lack of cases. Now we'll see if my first shot at posting pictures works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hs4itqfre5...1.psd.jpg?dl=0
Congratulations on the new X20
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=Texrider;5912279]Finally last week, my new Emerald X20 Woody, with Bubinga top came in. I spent about a year dithering about ordering one, both due to the cost, and concerns I would not be able to see or play it first. This forum actually pushed me over the edge so I finally ordered it this August.

As a side note, I worked with Kevin, and he did a great job of keeping me informed when shipments were delayed due to a lack of cases. Now we'll see if my first shot at posting pictures works: (now doing reply with another attempt - these are some of the professional shots of my particular instrument)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Congratulations! That's eye-popping... beautiful.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:24 PM

Finally got the pics posted as the 10th reply to my original comment.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:26 PM

Wow...really great looking! You done good.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

That is strikingly beautiful.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber