The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-23-2018, 05:59 AM

Default Taylor 214ce-K-DLX open D string buzz

Hi all,

Time to time open D string buzzing. No fret buzz, but it seems like something vibrates inside. Have checked everything (tuners, electronics inside, bracing) - everything is OK.

Only open D string. This buzz could happened, and in a few minutes gone.
Tried different sets of string - the same.
Have changed saddle to Bob Colosi- the same.
If I use pick -no buzz, only when using thumb while fingerpicking.
It makes me crazy

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:07 AM

Nut slot not cut parallel? Have you changed strings and it still happens? If not, look at the break angle (nut to tuning peg.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 AM

If there's anyone in your area that's Taylor certified I'd take it to them and see what they say. Most local talent can figure out things like this easily as well.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:09 AM

I had a buzzing issue with one of my 614's a while back. I kept trying to narrow it down, but it wasn't the action, frets, nut, saddle, anything I could pinpoint. A tech had recently changed out the preamp under warranty, and I started to wonder if it was the pickup cable rattling around inside there. It was. I gave it some slack on the preamp side and snugged up the cable clips on the body, and it's all better now. Might be something to look at, I guess.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Perhaps it is something loose inside the guitar that is vibrating in response to that pitch? As B.Adams said, it would be something as simple as the pre-amp not being tightened properly. Is there a technican in Moscow that you can take it to? Other than an internal part rattling it leaves out everything else except a nut issue, or the thing just needs a proper professional setup.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-23-2018, 08:48 AM

bout 95% of the time, the nut slot is too low.....
Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I had a Taylor several years back on which the open D string had, what I would characterize more as a "ring" or "ping" type sound. I could only hear it when the string was played open. If the string was fretted, no problem. I don't know if its the same thing you're experiencing, but it was definitely annoying. I sold the guitar before I could figure it out. BTW - when I took it to my tech to have checked, he couldn't hear what I was talking about - THAT was even more annoying - LOL!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I had a Taylor several years back on which the open D string had, what I would characterize more as a "ring" or "ping" type sound. I could only hear it when the string was played open. If the string was fretted, no problem. I don't know if its the same thing you're experiencing, but it was definitely annoying. I sold the guitar before I could figure it out. BTW - when I took it to my tech to have checked, he couldn't hear what I was talking about - THAT was even more annoying - LOL!
Yes, this is exactly what's happening! And the same with local tech! He said it's just Taylor sound LOL
Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-n-Nan View Post
Yes, this is exactly what's happening! And the same with local tech! He said it's just Taylor sound LOL
Sometimes guitars just buzz, they're not perfect. If you're too picky you'll take all the fun and enjoyment out of playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair