The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-11-2022, 06:57 AM

Default Sonitone/Magmic Dual Source

Hi folks, I'm picking up a nice lil' parlor guitar today that has a Fishman Sonitone installed in it. My usual system is the SD Magmic and I'd love to be able to have the two systems installed so I can add a little bit of that punchy/upclose sound of the UST to the magmic. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have both systems connected to one TRS jack? I understand they are both active systems so I'm not confident on how wiring would look. Any help would be appreciated.

And yes, I could very well add a second jack to the guitar put I will be already adding a second jack for a small 2-string pickup that I use to add one octave down to the E and A strings. It is a passive magnetic pickup, perhaps I could add one of the pickups to this jack?

Much thanks,
Curtis.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 07-11-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Hi folks, I'm picking up a nice lil' parlor guitar today that has a Fishman Sonitone installed in it. My usual system is the SD Magmic and I'd love to be able to have the two systems installed so I can add a little bit of that punchy/upclose sound of the UST to the magmic. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have both systems connected to one TRS jack? I understand they are both active systems so I'm not confident on how wiring would look. Any help would be appreciated.

And yes, I could very well add a second jack to the guitar put I will be already adding a second jack for a small 2-string pickup that I use to add one octave down to the E and A strings. It is a passive magnetic pickup, perhaps I could add one of the pickups to this jack?

Much thanks,
Curtis.
Should work fine both wired to TRS. I’ve done it with a Headway SAM-1 and and the onboard preamp in a Takamine, and split via a Y-cable. The only issue I’ve ever had with it is that you need to be able to flip the phase on one of the pickups now and then, which means ideally you need a passive DI with phase switch or if you’re using an active outboard preamp you need it to have either an input gain control that you can reduce greatly, or a pad function.

Are you using a Submariner and an octave pedal? I do the same but I simply split off the sound hole magnet I’m using and set my boss OC3 to poly from D to D.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification