The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

Kramster, Mot, and Captain: You guys are baaaaaaaaaad.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:00 PM

I have been checking out AGF for a few months and ended up with OF660 and X7coco to be shipped very soon per Kevin. Yes, AGF is like consuming beans and barley... taste so good yet gives you major GAS.

I went to Korea, rode on subways, buses, climbed mountains, even got super drunk with my elementary school friends... with my trusty OF660 and no worries, no damage, lots of singing and laughs. I have fallen asleep with it and still a happy camper! A great guitar for a traveling man!!

It seems that Journey could make a slightly bigger body and still fit it into the existing backpack. Cutaway design like Emeralds would be a great improvement in aesthetics as well.

Btw, I had too much bass through Fishman Loudbox mini and eqed most of it out. Any similar experience?

Any suggestions on string choices? Someone said the new Martin strings were good.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Well, the only comment I can add here is that it would be great to have a shop within a decent drive where I could play al these different CF guitars now entering the market. It is great to hear about all this CF activity and I hope it continues to expand.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

It's legal for elementary students to drink in Korea?
Old 11-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Gitaman;

It's legal for elementary students to drink in Korea?
Puhahaha!

Zanman,
Judging from your question, you are obviously not old enough to attend Korean elementary school.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

I love the new Martin strings, I have only tried the Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0's , not sure what they did, but it was a major improvement on my X20 over the old version.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:05 AM

I had a very early version of the 00660, that had a great sound, but I returned it because the fretboard was a bit bumpy and the neck angle was a bit too low. I understand that now the OF 660s are perfect.
Recently I bought at Elderly a new RT660 (the one with a larger body and non detachable neck) because I was amazed at the quality of the sound: full, warm,
clear. And the guitar was impeccably made. But I soon discovered that unfortunately the neck profile didn't fit well my hands, I was feeling fatigue after a few minutes and my playing was not as clean as usual (I play finger style). With sadness, I returned the guitar to Elderly. But apart from my personal problem with the neck profile, I would highly recommend the RT 660 (and the OF660 too) they are an incredible value for the money.
Now I own a super nice Rainsong CH-OM 1100 NS that I got from Ted at La Guitar sales and I am very happy, its neck profile is perfect for me, and the sound (although not AS good as the Journey) is clear and balanced.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:30 AM

I bought a used OF660 and it is only the 3rd CF guitar I’ve ever played. I purchased through forum member Scott (Methos1979) and got a really good deal because of some superficial scratches that occurred. While the scratches were notable they were all on the back and not a dealbreaker by any stretch. Although I posted a NUCFGD after having it for a month I’m responding here because this is is also an OF660 thread that happens to be also a comparison thread.

I used to have a RainSong Shorty and after having owned it for 4 years I put it up for sale. I can’t say the tone was better or worse than the OF660 but I would say that it had pros and cons. My favorite thing about the Shorty is the body size and 12 fret design. It also rang clear and loud- it would not only cut through nicely in an acoustic ensemble but it had a gorgeous unique tone that could carry melody lines in a very noticeable but pleasing way. The thing I found I just couldn’t adapt to (and believe me I tried) was the neck profile. Don’t get me wrong; in some way I loved the strange neck. In the first positions it was one of the most comfortable necks I’ve ever played in 30 years and after a lot of guitars. The problem for me was the profile as I moved up the neck- it was just too girthy to get my lead runs the way I like them.

You don’t really know these things sometimes until you play a different guitar, and along comes the OF660. This neck is much easier to conform to even as you move up the neck. The guitar also offers a deeper bass response paired with a taming is the trebles. However it is way quiet compared the the Shorty and won’t serve as well in an ensemble (although I speculate here since I’ve not tried it).

Anyway, I’ve had the OF660 for about 3 months and it’s a keeper. I did have an idea about how to take care of the finish scratches and took my chances on refinishing it myself. I’m actually a fan of the matte over the gloss finished anyway and converted my Journey to matte- but not without taking advantage of the gloss already provided- take a look at the bevels and the top here

Last edited by steelvibe; 11-23-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 PM

I will try out new martin 2.0 lifespan on my Gpc and of660.

Sean,
I like how your of660 looks! Very cool and unique. The matte blue color in some of your pictures must be the result of reflection and I wish they made one like that... with glossy bevels😉

Should have bought the glossy one😭
Old 11-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post

Recently I bought at Elderly a new RT660 (the one with a larger body and non detachable neck) because I was amazed at the quality of the sound: .
The Roadtrip has a larger body than the Overhead? This is new information for me. I had thought they were the same except for the neck.

How much larger is it?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-23-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
I will try out new martin 2.0 lifespan on my Gpc and of660.

Sean,
I like how your of660 looks! Very cool and unique. The matte blue color in some of your pictures must be the result of reflection and I wish they made one like that... with glossy bevels😉

Should have bought the glossy one😭
Hey Gitaman. Thanks! The blue is not reflection, it does have a blue top. I just reduced it to a matte finish. But they are offered in full matte which I personally think looks great

http://www.journeyinstruments.com/pr...iber-of660b1m/
Old 11-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I bought a used OF660 and it is only the 3rd CF guitar I’ve ever played. I purchased through forum member Scott (Methos1979) and got a really good deal because of some superficial scratches that occurred. While the scratches were notable they were all on the back and not a dealbreaker by any stretch. Although I posted a NUCFGD after having it for a month I’m responding here because this is is also an OF660 thread that happens to be also a comparison thread.

I used to have a RainSong Shorty and after having owned it for 4 years I put it up for sale. I can’t say the tone was better or worse than the OF660 but I would say that it had pros and cons. My favorite thing about the Shorty is the body size and 12 fret design. It also rang clear and loud- it would not only cut through nicely in an acoustic ensemble but it had a gorgeous unique tone that could carry melody lines in a very noticeable but pleasing way. The thing I found I just couldn’t adapt to (and believe me I tried) was the neck profile. Don’t get me wrong; in some way I loved the strange neck. In the first positions it was one of the most comfortable necks I’ve ever played in 30 years and after a lot of guitars. The problem for me was the profile as I moved up the neck- it was just too girthy to get my lead runs the way I like them.

You don’t really know these things sometimes until you play a different guitar, and along comes the OF660. This neck is much easier to conform to even as you move up the neck. The guitar also offers a deeper bass response paired with a taming is the trebles. However it is way quiet compared the the Shorty and won’t serve as well in an ensemble (although I speculate here since I’ve not tried it).

Anyway, I’ve had the OF660 for about 3 months and it’s a keeper. I did have an idea about how to take care of the finish scratches and took my chances on refinishing it myself. I’m actually a fan of the matte over the gloss finished anyway and converted my Journey to matte- but not without taking advantage of the gloss already provided- take a look at the bevels and the top here
I've an OF660 also. Would you share the details how you did such a perfect matte finish on the gloss? I especially like the looks with the places you left the gloss intact.

Wondering about the materials and technique you used to make it satin.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:28 PM

"The Roadtrip has a larger body than the Overhead? This is new information for me. I had thought they were the same except for the neck.
How much larger is it?"

AZ Liberty, the Road Trip is similar to a mini-jumbo shape. Also, the back body is thinner on one side and deeper on the other side, which makes for a very comfortable guitar to play, still with beautiful basses. The OF660 ihas more like a 00 shape. Also, the scalel length of the Road Trip is 24.5 while the scale length of the OF660 is 24.00 if I remember well. In summary, the road trip looks and plays more like a regular sized guitar.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:39 PM

Sean, thanks for the website! I am envious, the tone of your matted blue is very pleasing to my eyes! They should make b/s the same color as another option which I would prefer.

Hey I am looking at my matted black right now and, you know what, it holds its own ambience that I like as well...

I would have to say,
Guitars are like women;
Seductive, always asking for your attention...

Gotta learn to be happy with the one(s) you are with. I am right... right?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Sean, thanks for the website! I am envious, the tone of your matted blue is very pleasing to my eyes! They should make b/s the same color as another option which I would prefer.

Hey I am looking at my matted black right now and, you know what, it holds its own ambience that I like as well...

I would have to say,
Guitars are like women;
Seductive, always asking for your attention...

Gotta learn to be happy with the one(s) you are with. I am right... right?
Um... no. If you swap off an old guitar for a new one, the old one doesn't get half your stuff. And, I noticed that you said, "one(s)" - run that by your significant other to see how she feels about being "one of many." And, finally: you can lock a guitar in a case and come back to it months later and it won't be mad at you. Or try to remove any parts of your anatomy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber