The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 PM

Default HAPPY ENDING: Rainsong CH series owners: Does this look normal?

I just received a Rainsong OM-CH, and noticed that the top seems to be full of imperfections and pitting in the CF layer under the smooth gloss surface. To give you a (somewhat disgusting) mental image, it's like this guitar had the worst case of acne scarring you've ever seen, and someone coated it with thick layer of varathane. The area around the rosette is pretty sloppy looking as well (3rd photo), as is where the top joins the sides (4th photo).

I'm hoping that this isn't normal, but before contacting Rainsong, I thought I would check in with people who own a CH-OM to see what yours looks like.

I've done my best to get some photos from different areas of the top (these are as good as I can get right now). This is what the entire top looks like. I actually called Rainsong and asked them if they put a protective film on the top that needs to be removed because I thought I was seeing bubbles in the finish at first. I also want to clarify that what may look like lighter color bands across the top are just reflections from the overhead light.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 08-08-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Updated the outcome
Old 07-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a number of Rainsongs, never a CH model, but I've never seen any that look like that mess ! I don't think that is normal at all. All the ones I had were dang near perfect finishes. I'd send those pics to Rainsong. Great company, so you should be fine.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:28 PM

I have a CH OM that doesn't look anything like that. The top on mine is very, very consistent. I'd definitely contact them, they seem to have a very good reputation. Surprised that got out into the world.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 PM

I've got two CH guitars and to a lesser extent, I can see something similar in my instruments. It is almost like there is a light curl or burl to the top. To be visible the light has to strike the top just right. I tried to take a photo but it just isn't prominent enough. I don't think it is structural and if it bothers you an exchange for another is a good choice. CF guitars can be a bit too plain and the unidirectional fabric, by the nature of no twill interlocking, has more "organic-like" variation. The line outlining the sound hole and edge of the top is in all RainSongs. That is where the inside and outside CF layers mate directly. In the center of the top there is a spacer between them.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I've owned a number of Rainsongs, never a CH model, but I've never seen any that look like that mess ! I don't think that is normal at all. All the ones I had were dang near perfect finishes. I'd send those pics to Rainsong. Great company, so you should be fine.
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toofer View Post
I have a CH OM that doesn't look anything like that. The top on mine is very, very consistent. I'd definitely contact them, they seem to have a very good reputation. Surprised that got out into the world.
To be specific, the smooth top surface on this one is very consistent. It's the CF layer underneath that is pitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've got two CH guitars and to a lesser extent, I can see something similar in my instruments. It is almost like there is a light curl or burl to the top. To be visible the light has to strike the top just right. I tried to take a photo but it just isn't prominent enough. I don't think it is structural and if it bothers you an exchange for another is a good choice. CF guitars can be a bit too plain and the unidirectional fabric, by the nature of no twill interlocking, has more "organic-like" variation. The line outlining the sound hole and edge of the top is in all RainSongs. That is where the inside and outside CF layers mate directly. In the center of the top there is a spacer between them.
Thanks for clarifying that about the sound hole and the edge of the top. One less thing to worry about, I guess.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Rainsong CH series owners: Does this look normal?

These unidirectional tops certainly are variegated. I actually think that is why RainSong started painting guitars with these tops. I even emailed RainSong when I first received my Shorty thinking that the streaks in my guitar were not normal. RainSong did offer to make me another one providing I was willing to wait (I have a special order SGA), and I would return the guitar to the dealer.

I opted to keep it and it really doesn’t bother me- kinda cool actually and reminds me of wood, like it adds some sort of organic quality.

Last edited by steelvibe; 02-12-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 PM

Hmm, interesting. Both the finish and the fiber underneath are completely uniform on mine. I just assumed they were all like that.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:03 PM

I also want to add that the satin finished guitars don't seem to show the variations as strongly. I think that the polyurethane finished guitars actually magnify the tops whether good bad or ugly.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toofer View Post
Hmm, interesting. Both the finish and the fiber underneath are completely uniform on mine. I just assumed they were all like that.
I don't know if you just comforted the afflicted, or afflicted the comforted.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I also want to add that the satin finished guitars don't seem to show the variations as strongly. I think that the polyurethane finished guitars actually magnify the tops whether good bad or ugly.
Is yours satin or gloss?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Is yours satin or gloss?
It is gloss (would have just said "gloss", but it was flagged as too short)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I had a Shorty SG-FLE (limited edition), and depending on how the light hit it, I could see very minor "variations" in the finish, but nothing like the images shown here. I'd be talking to RainSong and your dealer about this.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:04 PM

I would e-mail the pic to Rainsong and see what Dave says about it.

It looks, not normal to me.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 PM

Recent CH-WS: No issues like that whatsoever!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:19 PM

OK. Thanks all. I will contact Rainsong tomorrow and take it from there.

MODS: It might be appropriate to delete this thread, since I was only looking for information and not seeking to cause any damage to Rainsong's reputation. I'll leave that decision to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber