The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-24-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Refretting a finished maple fingerboard

I have read a few articles on refretting finished necks and am just trying to possibly get a better consensus on the do's and don't.

I realize the avenue of refinishing and don't have an issue or question about the procedure of that project.

What I am wondering if there are techniques for prepping the finished areas butting against the frets without refinishing. I will be using the same size frets as the originals.

This is a 90's Tele and has a good consistent 10" radius. It has a glossy finish but is well worn in the 1st position and i don't believe the owner has a general care about the aesthetic look of the finish.
Primary job is to get the frets to seat well and so on.

Not to throw out random methods but would steel wool be a problem?

Customer needs it ASAP, and I don't have the time to do a whole refinish, so if I did sand the finish off and refret is there a minimal wipe or pad finish that would keep it stable.

I appreciate any solution based thoughts.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:19 PM

I do not see a reason to not just simply refinish the fretboard with a stained lacquer, if you use an acrylic it is touch dry in an hr, if you use nitro its touch dry in 3-4hrs.

Sometimes IMO the right way is the faster way

Test colour by dripping a blob in the shelf area

To add some distress look back into the fresh finish, you lightly scuff with steel wool

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-24-2018, 09:29 PM

Thanks , I know the easy route would be to refinish, although his fingerboard has a lot of wear and character more than just a stain, actually the finish is very neutral without much toner.

I was just reading some folks saying never ever "not refinish", so i was wondering. assuming the frets crown are the same specs, what extra steps might be involved to get the best or near best results.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 AM

In trying to understand better, are you worried about the finish that is right up against the frets? Like you said, if you are using the same fret crown then you should not have any exposed finish along the frets. Of course chipping is always a potential issue when removing frets. In that case drop fill works well.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:45 PM

I am not primarily worried about the fret removal but the refretting without refinishing. If I use the same crown, hypothetically i could recreate a seamless job. But If I went a bit wider with the crown going on top of pre-existing finish, are there any foreseen dangers?
Old 10-26-2018, 11:51 PM

I never, ever, refret a guitar without levelling the fingerboard first.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-27-2018, 10:27 AM

Often times the customers like that beat up broken in look and don't want to change it. Otherwise re-level for a perfect job. Some vintage purists won't want the fretboard touched too. In that case you might use taller frets to dress out any inconsistencies. Re-leveling is definitely the best though.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Often times the customers like that beat up broken in look and don't want to change it. Otherwise re-level for a perfect job. Some vintage purists won't want the fretboard touched too. In that case you might use taller frets to dress out any inconsistencies. Re-leveling is definitely the best though.
Agreed, I personally just turn those customers away, I have my way of doing things, i do it a specific way becuase I know of the longjevity of the repair, if that does not suit them, then I am not the repairer for them and they should find someone else.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair