The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2018, 06:46 PM

Default Building a guitar from Koa

I'm getting ready to build my first guitar and wanted to ask advice from folks in the Forum. I am not yet decided on whether to build a parlor guitar to go all out for an old delta blues sound or to build an OM size and perhaps aim for something a little less specialized. I would welcome any thoughts on the any of the questions below...

1) What experience do people have in using Koa in building guitars? What should I expect from it in terms of sound?

2) What woods pair well with a koa top?

3) What woods pair well with a koa back and sides?

4) Does it work better for any given size?

Sean
Old 10-22-2018, 07:41 PM

Your first guitar is more about learning how to construct it and less about the sound. Anything that is sold as luthier wood is fine, with an exception of some stuff on EBay that should not be sold as such. Other than going for ladder or X braced a first time builder will not know enough of bracing to get one type of sound or the other. As long as it is not so overbuilt or underbuilt it should come out sounding fine.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Second that. Unless you are some sort of super woodworker, your first instrument will be a testing ground for the dozens of unique steps needed to complete an instrument. You might buy inexpensive woods for neck, back and side, and top- like mahogany and sitka, and see what the fuss is about before you jump into exotic woods.

I am on #8 and am fully aware that I would have to build a couple dozen of one design before I could start making meaningful changes.

Good luck and welcome

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair