The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-06-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Too many options...
Can you just get a great vocal without harmony and a nice guitar setting...
How come they have to make it so complicated?

Does any know of a pedal for vocals and guitar...all-in-one that doesn't have so much stuff in it that I'll have to go to night classes?
Plug in Play...
There is another TC Helicon product which essentially gives you the same features what the Play Acoustic offers - it's called Perform VG.
Simplified controls but you would need an active pickup because it doesn't have high impedance guitar input.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:10 AM

Once the Play Acoustic is set up (which took me a month of daily tweaks) all I ever touch now is the Output and Guitar volume on the Mix page, which is easily accessible and makes adjustments to different rooms simple. Yes, the learning curve was there, but the manual and YouTube videos made it manageable.
The sound is sooo good every time.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Too many options...

Does any know of a pedal for vocals and guitar...all-in-one that doesn't have so much stuff in it that I'll have to go to night classes?
Plug in Play...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Some people are over exaggerating the learning curve on the PA - it's really not that difficult at all.

Having tried and evaluated both units, I now use the PA. The overall sound quality of the PA is WAY ahead of the Boss unit.
I have to agree with Andy C. It really isn't that difficult to use and tweek the setting on the Play Acoustic. There are videos on YouTube that help and guys right here who will help you if you have a problem. I was able to use a stock setting the day after I bought it to gig with. You don't have to use the harmonies at all if you don't want to and you have to hit the "Hit" button to get them.

After I learned guitar and harmonicas, to play out, I had to learn the words to a lot of songs. Then I had to learn how to properly use a P.A system. I learned to use effects to enhance my guitar sound. After I write a new song I have to learn it. The learning never stops. I enjoy the challenge of learning new things. If you are here on this forum you already have demonstrated the ability to learn a lot of stuff. The Play Acoustic isn't very hard at all and the difference in your sound will be well worth the effort.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Owning both. the Play acoustic has better vocal harmonies and sound, and the acoustic is good. On the Ve-8 the guitar sounds great and the vocal harmonies, are meh. You have to get real close to the mic for them to work and not so good sounding. The DI out of the play acoustic is silent and good, on the VE-8 the DI out is loud white noise. The play acoustic edges out the VE-8 for an all in one pedal. And the VE-8 does have the same learning curve for accessing the hidden controls.
We chose the VE-8 and love it. Both units do have a learning curve and even the VE-8 has some internal programming to master. What did it for us was the external knobs that the VE-8 does have, like reverb, volumes and the most important - notch! The ability to dial out problem frequencies on the fly at a gig is critical for me.

I originally agreed with the above quoted statement in bold. But what we discovered was that the mic gain (a small knob on the back) was down too low. If you boost the gain up significantly (and turn the volume out knob down, obviously) then the harmonies sound great.

The VE-8 got rid of an entire pedal board cramming all those pedals previously used into a single aesthetically pleasing, well-built, relatively easy to use pedal that runs on batteries. The perfect unit to use with our Bose S1, especially when we're running on battery which these days is all the time even when external power is available.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
There is another TC Helicon product which essentially gives you the same features what the Play Acoustic offers - it's called Perform VG.
Simplified controls but you would need an active pickup because it doesn't have high impedance guitar input.
I have both Play Acoustic and the Perform VG, and I prefer the Perform VG. I find that it's much easier to learn and use on the fly. I have a TC Helicon Switch-3 on order, which should make it much easier to turn harmonies on/off going between verses with no harmony and chorus with harmony (which I find awkward to do on the Perform VG unit itself).

I don't think you need an active pickup. I use it with my Halcyon OM, which has a Schatten HFN passive pickup in it. I've also used it with my Eastman T184MX (which I use to play clean rhythm most of the time anyway).
Old 10-06-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I have both Play Acoustic and the Perform VG, and I prefer the Perform VG. I find that it's much easier to learn and use on the fly. I have a TC Helicon Switch-3 on order, which should make it much easier to turn harmonies on/off going between verses with no harmony and chorus with harmony (which I find awkward to do on the Perform VG unit itself).

I don't think you need an active pickup. I use it with my Halcyon OM, which has a Schatten HFN passive pickup in it. I've also used it with my Eastman T184MX (which I use to play clean rhythm most of the time anyway).
Any tone differences?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:58 PM

Yes, like Methos1979 said, you need to trim the little gain knob on the back quite high. It effects both channels.
Mine is fabulous and I don’t have any ‘white noise’ but I don’t use many effects..lately, I have tried no effects at all on guitar and lots on my vocal. I use it for the 2 channels and adjustments, the ‘Enhance’ button on half has me using my old Shure SM58 again, and a dash of reverb on vocal. Now and again, I use the harmony set on just ‘high’...it plus me. Simple but really effective. Like I mentioned earlier, I call the harmony Keef.

BluesKing777.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Some people are over exaggerating the learning curve on the PA - it's really not that difficult at all.

Having tried and evaluated both units, I now use the PA. The overall sound quality of the PA is WAY ahead of the Boss unit.
I agree with this. I started with a Play Acoustic before upgrading to a VL3. There's a bit of a learning curve with both but it's not substantial. The Play Acoustic was really simple IMO and sounded fantastic; much better than the VE-8 demos I heard.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Any tone differences?
Not to my ears.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Too many options...

Plug in Play...
TC Helicon Play Acoustic is what you need.

Just experiment with it, find a couple of guitar patches you like and copy them with different variations. Yes, it takes a bit of time, but the vocal quality is better than the roland gear and the guitar quality roughly equal.

I use "Normal" for patches 1-9, "Rockabilly Slap" for patches 11-19, and "Ballad" for 21-25. Within each bracket, from low number to high, I then use
high harmony
high and higher
high and low
octave down
octave up
octave up and down
then a couple of vocal delay and effects.
The key for me is having a "bank" where my guitar sounds the same and then using a consistent ordering scheme for my harmony patches. Having a switch-3 or switch-6 to use with guitar delay and chorus on/off is also helpful. Don't be put off by your first impressions, it really is not as hard as it first seems
Old 10-11-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Default PA with added Switch pedal

For some of you experienced PA users...can the PA with a Switch3/6 recall in a live performance multiple stored settings PER song?

For example Song1 Verse (guitar and vocal settings), Song 1 Chorus (same guitar but different vocal settings), Song 1 Bridge (different guitar and vocal settings)? And then program and recall multiple settings for additional songs 2-100?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
For some of you experienced PA users...can the PA with a Switch3/6 recall in a live performance multiple stored settings PER song?

For example Song1 Verse (guitar and vocal settings), Song 1 Chorus (same guitar but different vocal settings), Song 1 Bridge (different guitar and vocal settings)? And then program and recall multiple settings for additional songs 2-100?
It can easily be done with a workaround - just save the different components as individual patch settings and store them sequentially next to each other in the memory. Then you can simply use the up / down footswitches to move between different parts of the song as you play. I do this for a number of songs in my set.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 10-12-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
It can easily be done with a workaround - just save the different components as individual patch settings and store them sequentially next to each other in the memory. Then you can simply use the up / down footswitches to move between different parts of the song as you play. I do this for a number of songs in my set.
As an alternative you could also do the following:
Song one verse - Patch 1
Song one chorus - Patch 1 using the Hit button (would activate whatever effects you want)
Song one bridge - Patch 2

It’s very flexible and you can build this into what you need for each song.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Ok, doable but a little kludgy.

What I would love is to be able to assign a button for verse, one for chorus, one for bridge, maybe one for solo, etc. when you go to each next song those assignments flow with it to the next verse, chorus, bridge settings.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Too many options...

Plug in Play...
You should really consider a Voicelive3 and use the FREE Voicelive editor software available for you PC/Mac. Makes tweaking and setting up patches a breeze compared to having to deep dive into the VLPA menu.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification