The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-13-2018, 04:12 PM

Default Warped guitar top - can anything be done?

I don't intend to do this myself, I'm just curious to hear from others.

I have a 2001 Breedlove SC25. I was only 20 years old when I bought it and in retrospect I didn't know enough about humidifying the guitar / signs of dryness. I always thought I was humidifying it enough, but I clearly missed the mark living in a really dry climate.

The guitar top sank a bunch. The guitar needed to have a new, taller saddle installed (it verges on being too high for good structural stability, I've been told, but is necessary to be playable). For a while, I even had to loosen the trus rod entirely just to get enough relief to not have notes buzzing out. It spent 4 months being rehumidified by a local shop, and I've spent the past 2 years humidifying it more. The shop ended up taking the rod out of the JDL bridge to get the bridge to come up a little bit. It did come up a bit, but overall the top is still somewhat bowl like, now with just a slight rise/plateau at the bridge.

As the guitar just has not responded to rehumidifying, I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done for it? I've seen a video of someone raising a top using steam and some temporary braces to push things back up - I wouldn't try that myself, but it got me wondering if a luthier (as opposed to a typical shop repair tech) might be able to find a way to get the top back to where it should be?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:49 PM

Humidifying only takes 2 days.

It sounds like you are referring to a collapsed top.

If it structurally sound then you do not need to change it, just rebrace it.

I have one in the shop right now for the exact same problem.

My process, I will remove the bridge, pop the back off, remove all the braces, flatten and steam the top, then rebrace the top and refit the back, not a small job, and it’s around the 500 mark in costs

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-14-2018, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

If the top and bracing are stable, wouldn’t it be easier to reset the neck? Or make a slightly taller bridge?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:11 AM

Yes, but it certainly does not sound like it’s stable as per owners description.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair