The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2019, 08:03 AM

Default Question on Gotoh Tuner Upgrade for an Eastman Acoustic...

Hi, all!
I’ve decided to upgrade to Gotoh 510 tuners for my Eastman E10SS.
I plan to go with the 1:21 ratio, but there are two different models: the SGL510Z and the SGV510Z. I realize the difference is mainly the positioning of the screw holes (please let me know of any other difference!), w/ the SGL having them at 8 and 4 o’clock, and the SGV having them at 6 o’clock...but—to my Eastman friends—which one is most appropriate to the E10SS? Does it even make a difference??
Thanks so much. : )
Bryan
Eastman E10SS

Last edited by sonlite.kid; 11-28-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:48 AM

Bryan, the SGL is a bit more compact, with a slightly smaller footprint when compared to the SGV. But aside from the SGV's mounting screw hole extending out further the casings are more or less the same size and the buttons are the same. I have more than one set of each on various guitars that I own, and from a functional standpoint they both work equally well.

The SGL tuners might weigh a few grams less than the SGV's.

Choosing between the two, my own inclination would be to go with the SGL, or better yet, the mini version, because I always prefer to go with the lightest weight option I can that won't sacrifice any tuning accuracy or overall functionality. I would also put lightweight aftermarket buttons of either wood or high grade plastic on the tuners, which cuts a considerable amount of weight, quite a bit more than the somewhat more compact footprint of the SGL will.

With all that said, with the choice between the two different tuner sets you've mentioned, I would go with the SGL.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Bryan, the SGL is a bit more compact, with a slightly smaller footprint when compared to the SGV. But aside from the SGV's mounting screw hole extending out further the casings are more or less the same size and the buttons are the same. I have more than one set of each on various guitars that I own, and from a functional standpoint they both work equally well.

The SGL tuners might weigh a few grams less than the SGV's.

Choosing between the two, my own inclination would be to go with the SGL, or better yet, the mini version, because I always prefer to go with the lightest weight option I can that won't sacrifice any tuning accuracy or overall functionality. I would also put lightweight aftermarket buttons of either wood or high grade plastic on the tuners, which cuts a considerable amount of weight, quite a bit more than the somewhat more compact footprint of the SGL will.

With all that said, with the choice between the two different tuner sets you've mentioned, I would go with the SGL.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
OP - ^^^^^ Listen to this man! ^^^^^

He helped me navigate the Gotoh waters, quite effectively. I'm pretty sure he knows more about the product than half the employees that work directly for the manufacturer!!!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion