The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2019, 12:52 PM

Default Buying Used

I’m checking out a used Taylor gs-e mini koa on Friday from an independent seller. Other than how it sounds, and feels, are there any questions I should ask? Things to look for? It’s selling for $500 and I feel like it’s a great price, which also makes me wary. I can afford the new sticker price ($800 everywhere), but it would be a stretch financially. Is there any compelling reason to buy new when this is so much less?
I wish there was carfax for used guitars!
Old 11-27-2019, 01:03 PM

The advantage of new is a warranty, which will probably never be used. And no marks upon it, which will not affect how it sounds or plays, though it may affect the attraction it has to you.

Check for a straight neck and for buzzing on the strings. Look for cracks, especially to the wood. Finish cracks are only of cosmetic concern. Check for loose braces and for adequate saddle height. Make sure the action is low enough to allow for easy playing. Turn the tuners to make sure they work well. Play it long enough that if there are issues with playing comfort that they will be apparent. Make sure you cannot slide a sheet of paper under the saddle.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:09 PM

My GS Mini-koa has opened up considerably since I got it a couple of years ago, so that is certainly a benefit of buying one of these used. If it meets your standards when you try it out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 11-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
The advantage of new is a warranty, which will probably never be used. And no marks upon it, which will not affect how it sounds or plays, though it may affect the attraction it has to you.

Check for a straight neck and for buzzing on the strings. Look for cracks, especially to the wood. Finish cracks are only of cosmetic concern. Check for loose braces and for adequate saddle height. Make sure the action is low enough to allow for easy playing. Turn the tuners to make sure they work well. Play it long enough that if there are issues with playing comfort that they will be apparent. Make sure you cannot slide a sheet of paper under the saddle.
Honestly, these are all things to check out when buying a new guitar too. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's perfect. Manufacturing accidents happen (although rarely), and not every store takes the necessary precautions to keep their inventory in top condition.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-27-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Honestly, these are all things to check out when buying a new guitar too. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's perfect. Manufacturing accidents happen (although rarely), and not every store takes the necessary precautions to keep their inventory in top condition.
True enough. With new, you expect these things not to be issues. But things can happen in the manufacturing process which are not always caught before they leave their birthplace.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

$500 sounds like a good price for the koa one. They're pretty popular and easy to resell if you want to get rid of it later. I put mine up for $600 on facebook and a guy bought it the next day.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Great list above. I'd add checking the area around the saddle to make sure there's minimal bellying in addition to ensuring there's adequate saddle height. I want to make sure I'm able to lower the action without having to shave the saddle or get a neck reset.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Ask how it has been stored, where, in what room.
Try not to ask leading question "Has it been stored humidified? ... Why if course!

Look for a flat top and belying for telltale signs of improper care/storage.

Good luck!

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 11-27-2019, 07:07 PM

Everybody has their own desire but I would pass on the mini. I know two players that bought them...they sat in the corner and then sold...Unless you have some specific need for one save the cash and buy a real guitar.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:09 PM

Take someone with you ( abit of safety maybe meet in a neutral place if possible)- hopefully take another guitar player .
how does it play -do you like the sound -and is their a case -
technically Id say typically something goes for about half of the new price
but if its in great shape 500 isnt bad. but be sure because once its bought , their are no returns its not like a store.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Everybody has their own desire but I would pass on the mini. I know two players that bought them...they sat in the corner and then sold...Unless you have some specific need for one save the cash and buy a real guitar.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. The GS-mini IS a real guitar. Seems like a very small sample size in the two people you know who don't use them. I have found them to be remarkably good, as have many others. If you haven't played one yourself, I highly recommend it.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. The GS-mini IS a real guitar. Seems like a very small sample size in the two people you know who don't use them. I have found them to be remarkably good, as have many others. If you haven't played one yourself, I highly recommend it.
This is what I would do...bring a dread or 000 to A/B them...then make a decision...fair enough?? I love my Martin 000, its my go to..but when I take out a D-28 or Takamine EF340tt....whole nuther world... The 000 fits my voice and blues tunes...but the dreads... remember...volume ( internal volume) = tone...at least in my universe. These guys I play with are real players..good as the get..they know their stuff...by attempting to marginalize my statement by saying its a small sampling of people ( if 2 out of our 8 own but do not use...thats good percentage...I did not include that because I did not know this a study in social behavior ), I didn't know I would have to provide dates and names and times I've tired the guitars , so have at it...but be careful of posting your findings...you too may be under a microscope.

Last edited by GHS; 11-28-2019 at 05:58 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-28-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I’ve had my mahogany GS mini for two weeks and I like it more every time I pick it up. It’s definitely a real guitar And I have bigger real guitars too if it plays well and you like it I would recommend buying it.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 11-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

bridge, not saddle.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
This is what I would do...bring a dread or 000 to A/B them...then make a decision...fair enough?? I love my Martin 000, its my go to..but when I take out a D-28 or Takamine EF340tt....whole nuther world... The 000 fits my voice and blues tunes...but the dreads... remember...volume ( internal volume) = tone...at least in my universe. These guys I play with are real players..good as the get..they know their stuff...by attempting to marginalize my statement by saying its a small sampling of people ( if 2 out of our 8 own but do not use...thats good percentage...I did not include that because I did not know this a study in social behavior ), I didn't know I would have to provide dates and names and times I've tired the guitars , so have at it...but be careful of posting your findings...you too may be under a microscope.
Using a dread or a 000 to A/B against a GS Mini is like using a Ford F250 to A/B against a Prius. It doesn't make the Prius any less of a real vehicle. It is a matter of what you are going to use it for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor mini koa