The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Appreciation of a solo performance

I guess it's because I only play solo (albeit, strictly at home, for myself), and can therefore relate and apply to my own situation, but I really appreciate an entirely solo performance, whether live or recorded.

It's actually gotten to the point where, if I'm listening to a track on Pandora, and I think I can hear, say, a bassist playing the bass line, I have this reaction like I'm being conned, even if the music sounds great, and I tend to give it a thumbs down, probably undeservedly.

It's kind of ironic, because the whole idea of most of the music that I like is to make a single guitar sound like a whole band (bass in the thumb, melody in the fingers, rhythm from either / both).

I suppose that once I became aware that it is possible to emulate a band with just one guitar, I then became dismissive of any kind of ensemble (more than one player) situation, like they're cheating, which is ridiculous.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

As a big fan of modern fingerstylists for the last 10 years I can agree wholeheartedly, this video singlehandedly changed my life when I was 17. I always wonder what I'd be doing right now if I hadn't seen this during recovery from a skateboarding injury. Needless to say I bought a guitar that winter instead of a new set of wheel/hardware for my board

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 11-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I will confess to having similar thoughts. I now prefer to listen to one (acoustic) guitar, with or without vocals, rather than a full band. I blame the AGF for this
Old 11-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm a one horse show guy too. If its a Celtic tune with a flute added I'll listen though

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

While I very much enjoy listening to a solo guitarist, too often they feel compelled to overuse modern electronics to sound more like a "one-man-band" instead of an acoustic guitar player. IMHO electronic devices should be used to enhance vs. become the performance. Overuse (and misuse in my view) of things like loopers and backing tracks are 2 examples that come to mind. But that's just me ...
Old 11-26-2019, 01:48 PM

I see lots of "solo" acts in my area using karaoke tracks. I guess people/venues like it, but I don't care for it.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-26-2019, 01:51 PM

Solo guitar playing performance in its purist form is nice, but does not hold my attention for long, no matter how accomplished the musician.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I like any combination of instruments (possibly even singing) if the performance is well done and the composition is well thought out.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-26-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I started playing guitar only in order to accompany my own singing.

I had spent to long behind a drum kit in ever louder electric bands and at a relatively young age I was getting tired of the noise levels.

I feel that whilst electronics has allowed music to reach a far wider audience it has polluted the sound to a great deal.

However, I am a over of acoustic instruments - mandolin, Dobro, violin, double bass and even banjo (within reason), and of course vocal harmonies where appropriate.

I've experienced two gigs recently, one with two highly regarded guitarist/banjo players plugged in far too loud to enjoy.

The second incidence was a bluegrass (newgrass) five piece, who appeared at the same venue ... we left after three numbers.

Good acoustic music ruined by over amplification.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about backing tracks and loopers.

I don't like it when a live act (solo or otherwise) plays over a backing track.

I don't mind someone using a looper if they keep it simple, and they're actually playing the loops live (not pre-recorded). Having tried using a looper, I can see that it is a skill in itself.

Those are just my personal likes and dislikes, but all power to those that can entertain in whatever way they choose.

My original post was simply to say that I have a possibly-irrational dislike for music when it seems to sound like it's one person and a guitar (with or without vocals), but then I suddenly suspect that a bassist (or possibly other guitarist) is also playing. If it's good, it's good, right?, but I catch myself being suspicious, like the guitar player is cheating on me, LOL.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Not wanting to derail my own thread, but you're going to have to change this soon!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

I would much rather go to a small venue and see a solo performer than a band. I love hearing a nice tight band playing roots music and that's usually what I'm listening to if I'm playing recorded music, but for live performances give me a solo guy singing over simple rhythms. That's probably why I've been playing solo shows for so long. If I feel like the venue is more of a party atmosphere, I'll bring along another guitarist to jam on some leads and harmony vocals. But mostly I'm a solo guy. I do have to admit that I'm getting the urge to do more band shows so that may be coming in 2020.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Besides playing in a full electric band, I play in a 2 guitar 2 vocal acoustic duo. I don't play a lot finger style, but hybrid pick a lot. I enjoy playing lead guitar and my duo partner plays rhythm when I play lead. I am really not excited about strumming chords and singing, or listening to a solo do it. The duo acoustic format is for me!

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 11-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Same here. I much more of a less-is-more person when it comes to music. I loved stripped down acoustic, the less the better. A lone guitar with one voice or a couple voices in beautiful harmonies is heaven to me. This is probably why I can't stand bluegrass. I can appreciate the ability but it's like nails on chalkboard to me. Actually, it's worse!
Old 11-26-2019, 05:04 PM

I much prefer a solo performance over a larger "band" performance. As long as that solo performer can get the job done by himself/herself.

I've found, though, that many times (if the solo performer is really great), that adding just ONE more element can actually improve things if done well. In one case, it was adding a really good harmony singer. Or a dobro player. In another case (the harmony singer mentioned above, but acting as a solo act), it was adding a legit cajon player who could really FEEL what she was doing as a solo artist and add to it. In both cases above, the solo performer was what I'd consider "perfect". Yet adding just one really good element with it made it even better.

In another case, it's a duo. He plays by himself some, but adding his duo partner (vocals and fiddle . . . he does vocals, guitar, banjo, harmonica) improves things tremendously. Adding more, though, starts to detract . . . at least in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion