The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 09:06 AM

Smile Insurance for guitars

What is the best insurance company to insure my guitars from theft, damage or if I lose them somehow? I have about $20,000 worth. I have heard Heritage mentioned but don't know the details of how to contact them. Thanks for your input
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
68 Blond Fender Telecaster
Old 11-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Heritage. Too many threads to quote one. Do a search on insurance and you’ll find dozens.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Heritage. Too many threads to quote one. Do a search on insurance and you’ll find dozens.
Agreed with this advice. Heritage is terrific.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:56 AM

I'm filling out the form for a quote now. It occurs to me that while I don't have anything super valuable, what I do have has taken me a lifetime to accumulate and I would not be able to replace it easily if at all.

Still, since I don't travel or play out, it may not be needed for me. But at the moment I'm only covered by a $30k renter's insurance policy, and if there was a fire or something that money would not be able to be dedicated to replacing my guitars.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have Heritage through Traveler's and they have been great. I have only had to file one claim but it was handled professionally and quickly to my satisfaction.

Here is a link to their site.

https://musicins.com

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Mine are covered under my home insurance, wouldn't yours be as well?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Heritage!!!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Mine are covered under my home insurance, wouldn't yours be as well?
It depends. I take my guitars to workshops, lessons, and travel across the country by both plane and car. I also ship guitars occasionally. So if you have your guitars at home all of the time, then maybe your home owner's insurance is enough. I found that for my purposes, Heritage had better coverage.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Heritage + 1.

Take a look at this very recent thread with someone's great experience (after a horrible accident):
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=564614

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

My renters insurance through Nationwide has a $5,000.00 limit on music income. Over that and you’re considered a professional and your instruments and equipment won’t be covered. To get replacement cost coverage, everything must be listed with values. Coverage is worldwide. I pay extra, rates went up about 25% this year, mainly due to my listed items total, and am thinking of switching to Heritage based on these recent posts. Thanks!
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-26-2019, 12:19 PM

Another vote for Heritage.

I've had them for over 10 years and they are great and easy to work with.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Since everyone is mentioning Heritage and they are very good, but there is also Anderson's which is also a good company.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
It depends. I take my guitars to workshops, lessons, and travel across the country by both plane and car. I also ship guitars occasionally. So if you have your guitars at home all of the time, then maybe your home owner's insurance is enough. I found that for my purposes, Heritage had better coverage.

Best,
Jayne
I checked and my guitar is covered for loss, theft and accidental damage outside the home though my home insurance although my policy only covers such items up to £2000 (fine for my needs) without having to renegotiate the contract. The excess is only £100 and I pay about £9 a month for the insurance. I would say it’s worth phoning your home insurance company before taking out an additional package.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I checked and my guitar is covered for loss, theft and accidental damage outside the home though my home insurance although my policy only covers such items up to £2000 (fine for my needs) without having to renegotiate the contract. The excess is only £100 and I pay about £9 a month for the insurance. I would say it’s worth phoning your home insurance company before taking out an additional package.
That's good. I checked over here and mine said if I ever played in public and was paid for it that it would not be covered without an additional rider and I chose to go with an instrument only company instead of rolling the dice. It costs me $110 a year and has no deductible in most cases and $100 in others and it covers diminished value because of damage/repair among other things.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I check in with my home insurance every couple of years and see if some other configuration meets my needs concerning my instruments. So far, Heritage is the best coverage for the best price for my situation. Never hurts to keep checking in as things change.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
insurance