The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 01:11 PM

what I like listening to, and how that translates to what I like to play, has changed in dramatic fashion. So yea, tastes have changed. I still like the music I grew up with from the late 60s and 70s, but I'm not on a steady diet of it any more.

The edge has come off my leanings quite a bit.. Still love the classic rock and all, but I've heard enough of it to last me.

Listening to and playing other stuff mostly now, and enjoying the heck out of.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:23 PM

No, I have always loved the sound of a good dread.

My very first encounter with a good guitar was my friends D-28 Martin, that tone has been the benchmark for me for 41 years
Old 11-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Nope. I like guitars--all kinds of guitars. It's not a matter of "this" vs. "that."
Old 11-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Yep. I have phases where I reach for my bright guitars over my thick or mellow guitars, but that always changes. Each day I prefer something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Nope. I like guitars--all kinds of guitars. It's not a matter of "this" or "that."
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:48 PM

I think the question assumes a monotone preference swap. I never stuck to a particular sound. Martin D35, Guild F412, Larrivee OMV-09E, Breedlove Focus Concert, Goodall RCJC with guitars of other tonal ranges between, these were the sounds that would still be with me if I wasn't a 1-in-1-out owner. The Goodall is still with me and gets equal time with an inexpensive Yamaha classical CG110-CE.

That said, a flat pick was never put to any of those guitars so my sound from them may not be the same as a flat pickers sound. I'd go so far as to say it would be very different despite my fingernails and celluloid thumb pick. This is an aspect that seldom gets airtime here but is probably the single-most important variable when discussing tone from like makes/models. Two people playing the same guitar using very different techniques pretty much renders a tonal discussion moot, unless it's specifically about how to coax different sounds from it.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I think the question assumes a monotone preference swap...

That said, a flat pick was never put to any of those guitars so my sound from them may not be the same as a flat pickers sound. I'd go so far as to say it would be very different despite my fingernails and celluloid thumb pick. This is an aspect that seldom gets airtime here but is probably the single-most important variable when discussing tone from like makes/models. Two people playing the same guitar using very different techniques pretty much renders a tonal discussion moot, unless it's specifically about how to coax different sounds from it.
Well put. I agree.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:52 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I was raised in East Tennessee. There, when you "arrived," the heavens opened up and a Martin came down. As a result, I always thought I'd get a Martin when my time came. However, just before I had my chance, Amy Grant brought in her Taylor 912ce to my studio. She opened the case and I'd never seen such workmanship. Then she played it and I'd never heard such a balanced tone. A while later I went to the biggest dealer I could find and played through both the Martin and the Taylor line. Surprise! I liked the Taylors better.

It happened around the same time in the electric department. I had always play Gibson electrics. Right around the same time I had a session call where I needed a Strat. I went out and looked but couldn't get comfortable with their necks. Someone suggested I try G&Ls and lo and behold I found a neck I liked nearly immediately. Since then I've also added a Tele. Now, Gibsons are still my home base, so not a complete change.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-25-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
See this is me! I have a Taylor 224ce-k that I just put fresh Elixers on this weekend which is what they put on from the factory. I had some Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze on it before. I thought maybe it was the strings. But even with fresh strings, this beautiful koa (layered back and sides) Taylor that I used to just love, just sounds thin and weak to me now. I know it sounds exactly the same as it ever has but ever since I bought that Yamaha dread, I just crave more bass and a louder guitar. I do still have my 317e GP that I am still trying to sell and even though it is a dread, it still seems weak up against the Yamaha. I have three decent Taylors and all I want to play is my $150 used FG800!

I went to my local guitar shop on Saturday. They have tons and tons of Martins. I never would give a Martin a second look because I had in my mind that they were not chimey enough for me and too mellow. I had tried them before and didn't like them. I played an HD-28 and all I can say is WOW! I want one badly now. I still think I am going to buy one of those Yamaha FGX5's when Sweetwater gets them in. I may try to get an HD-28 sometime in the future.
My Bourgeois rocked my world, tone-wise and then my D-41 knocked my socks off!! Don't get me wrong and think I'm bashing Taylors because before January of this year, I had 5 in my signature at one time and I think they build some of the nicest guitars out there for a big builder. I believe that I liked the idea of Taylor guitars more than the actual tone! I'm wanting a Preston Thompson dread now really bad, but I don't think there's ANY way I can convince the wife to let that happen!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-25-2019, 06:35 PM

No, but I have added things I like. I started with trying to get two sounds - Doc Watson's dread, and the combined Dread/Nylon sounds of Paul and Peter and their backing players. I tinkered with those for about 19 years.

At age 31, I heard Russ Barenberg, and immediately wanted that flatpicking sound.

Almost simultaneously, out came Dire Straits, and I got interested in Pensa Suhr, Orange Squeeze, fingerstyle Strats, etc.

I'm not a particularly accomplished player; seems like I don't make the time to improve. But, playing sure is fun, and trying to get these particular tones is likely enough to last me the rest of my life.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
My taste in sound has not changed in my 55 years of playing (although my taste in music has expanded). I am a Gibson and Martin guy and always have been, although I do have two Pro model Takamine guitars that made me take them home.
Over the years I have played a good potion of various Taylor models (with an open mind) but have never cared for their thin soulless sound. They do play well and have excellent craftsmanship. Not bashing Taylor, just saying I prefer a fuller sounding instrument.
I’ll stick with Gibson and Martin guitars which each have their own voice and personality.

Blues
Interesting my taste in sound hasn't really changed either (also in 55 years of playing ) , but I am kind of the exact opposite of you. Over the years try as might to like and get a Martin, I have played a number of various Martins 100+ , but just can't bring myself to really like the congested, crowded, and diffuse mids . Not bashing Martin just that I prefer the clarity and detail of Taylor . But then I also like Breedlove and recently heard a Bourgeois that was absolutely phenomenal, possibly the most balanced and detailed guitar I have ever heard.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-25-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I think the question assumes a monotone preference swap. I never stuck to a particular sound. Martin D35, Guild F412, Larrivee OMV-09E, Breedlove Focus Concert, Goodall RCJC with guitars of other tonal ranges between, these were the sounds that would still be with me if I wasn't a 1-in-1-out owner. The Goodall is still with me and gets equal time with an inexpensive Yamaha classical CG110-CE.

Very much agree & a very important point. I try to qualify my discussions of tone according to my experience and always try to qualify “bare flesh fingerpicking” but even then technique, fingernails, stroke, produce differing tonal results. Time and time again two or more folks may be discussing the same model guitar and try to compare impressions of tone, but with widely varying technique on the strings, the exercise might as well be about entirely different guitars and speaking a different language.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:00 PM

I still find that guitars aren't all one way or the other to me. Folks like to describe Taylors in a certain way, but I had the chance to try a number of various Taylors of same model style but at different price ranges and found them to be all very different from each other. The cheaper ones were more top sounding, the more expensive ones sounded much richer in tone. The 812DLX model was stunning actually. The model I own, the 314 sounded good, though, but not near as rich as the 714 or 812. I've also found that with Martin guitars.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I try to qualify my discussions of tone according to my experience and always try to qualify “bare flesh fingerpicking” but even then technique, fingernails, stroke, produce differing tonal results. Time and time again two or more folks may be discussing the same model guitar and try to compare impressions of tone, but with widely varying technique on the strings, the exercise might as well be about entirely different guitars and speaking a different language.
Excellent point -- I like that summary. Every guitar has its strengths and weaknesses for a given song/genre. When you know the guitar, you can bring a variety of strokes to get the sound you're after.

Perhaps an exaggeration, but a good guitar can be 3 or 4 different guitars, depending on how it's played.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Has your taste in sound completely changed at some point in your life?

No. I think my opinion about what is good sound has been pretty consistent since I first started playing the guitar back in 1964. I like a full sound with the widest possible frequency response.

- Glenn
Old 11-25-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

My tastes change all the time, which is why I'm happy to have expanded my guitars to include different body shapes and wood combinations. Previously, I thought of myself as strictly a Rosewood/Spruce dread player, but I've found the different guitars help me express myself differently.

Also, and probably more to the OP's question, my taste in sound/tone has evolved, as well. I thought big and boomy was the only way to go. But now, clarity and the voicing of the guitar play a much bigger factor. Sometimes, I want all the overtones and swirliness, while other times I want something woody and fundamental. I recently got a Maple/Engelmenn Jumbo, which completely took me out of my comfort zone (in the best way possible) and helped me expand my playing and tastes further.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion