The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone have experience with the Furch Little Jane travel guitar?

In my search for a travel guitar for work I've run into the Furch Little Jane, though not in person. It's a pricey guitar as travel guitars go but then again it's also got some great features. For the size it sounds really good (as heard/commented on various YouTube demos) and the breakdown and storage method/backpack is one of the few systems that I consider better than the Journey OF-series guitars of which I've owned three.

I love the storage of the neck inside the body, and also the locking tuners are another excellent feature for a guitar that breaks down. That's one of the Journey's shortcomings. Last, the backpack itself is pretty cool looking (the newer, brown one) and very small. Street price is up there with the OF660 which is the carbon fiber Journey. The CF is great for its durability and having owned two of them I can attest to their decent sound and as advertised they do travel well on an airplane. I'm not looking for one for airline travel though, just something I can stow away at work and use doing long, slow nights that occur in my job from time to time.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear from those that actually have owned or at least encountered this guitar in the wild and got to spend some time with it. There's been a few threads here on AGF but not a ton. Anyone own one that has had it for awhile now? There was at least on thread where someone chimed in that they had owned an OF660 and then upon hear or playing the Little Jane, sold it and bought one of the little Furch guitars.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Methos what are your priorities for it?

I have one and several other travel guitars that I have been playing with. From a pure acoustics sound point it is the best of the lot that I found. However it won't be my first choice when I travel for work in most cases as I prefer one of the silent guitar style I have due to smaller size, and the fact that I can play them in a hotel room at any time of the day.

I have a thread that I started where I compared the ones that I tried and looked at. For me, I did prefer the Furch to the Journey as it is more compact for traveling and I liked the feel for playing better.

The Little Jane sounds quite good although it still doesn't sound like one of my nicer full size guitars.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Priorities is for a guitar to take to work and leave in my locker to be used for slow days where there's nothing to do. So being very small and easy to assemble and breakdown and fit into a backpack that doesn't look like a guitar is a prime consideration and great sound and playability is secondary.

I thought about a silent guitar like the Yamaha which I've owned before but I'd prefer something actually acoustic. If I was actually going to travel with it I would likely go with something carbon fiber like the Journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Methos what are your priorities for it?

I have one and several other travel guitars that I have been playing with. From a pure acoustics sound point it is the best of the lot that I found. However it won't be my first choice when I travel for work in most cases as I prefer one of the silent guitar style I have due to smaller size, and the fact that I can play them in a hotel room at any time of the day.

I have a thread that I started where I compared the ones that I tried and looked at. For me, I did prefer the Furch to the Journey as it is more compact for traveling and I liked the feel for playing better.

The Little Jane sounds quite good although it still doesn't sound like one of my nicer full size guitars.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

As for as a “locker” guitar the little Jane is in a class all its own. Well made all solid wood, and it plays great and sounds amazing, regardless of the size. For an all around travel guitar there’s nothing that beats the sound of an all solid wood Voyage Air guitar....imho. But even when folded you would need a big wide and deep locker.

I’m surprised some of the Carbon fiber makers have not come out with a foldable compost guitar.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-28-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Methos for your description the Little Jane is sounding pretty close to perfect. One of the things I like about it is that it folds away quite easily.

The Klos I have would hold up to abuse a little more being carbon and also folds down for locker size but is definitely not as quick or easy to assemble/ disassemble.

You might also want to check out the snapdragon acoustics here:

https://snap-dragon-guitars.com/travel-acoustic-guitars

They are faster / easier to break down and setup and less expensive. The Traxe picnic might be a good choice for what you are looking for.

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-28-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:36 PM

After going through a list of "travel" guitars, including a KLŌS carbon fiber, Taylor's GS Mini, Martin's LX1RE, Gretsch's G9500 "Jim Dandy" and a Washburn something-or-other, I bought myself a Furch LJ10-CM "Little Jane" and my search was over!

I got mine with the LR Baggs pickup, and not only have I traveled with it, I've gigged with it. I love its playability, the sound is awesome for a guitar its size, and it quickly folds up into its own provided backpack. Price isn't everything. I feel it's worth every penny I paid for it!
Old 11-23-2023, 08:12 PM

I played one for about 30 minutes or so at my local shop. I was impressed and also very unimpressed. It's definitely the best sounding travel guitar I've ever heard. It's comfortable and it is very solidly constructed. That being said, I can't imagine a single scenario where I'd want to take a $2000 guitar to travel where I'd risk breaking it, theft, or anything else, over just taking my full size guitar. It doesn't sound better than some sub $1000 full size guitars I've played, and for the boxy travel guitar sound, I'd rather just take a $400 GS mini and risk that getting destroyed/stolen. The Little Jane is a wonderful guitar, I just have no clue who its for.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Doing research recently for lighter locking tuners for my Little Jane, I noticed that the price of the Little Jane has jumped since I bought mine in 2021. I got mine on sale for $1,200, so I think the list was closer to $1,500 at the time. I also have a GS Mini, and will take it or the Little Jane depending on how much else I’m carrying and where I’m going. With a street price of 1,700 now, I probably still would get one, but it does make the GS Mini or a D00-Jr. more compelling. There are travel guitars that make the Little Jane seem inexpensive (Collings Baby, Wee Lowden, Santa Cruz Firefly, etc,) so it’s all relative.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:09 PM

Another note to consider (at least it was a consideration for me): The Little Jane "shrinks" into a manageable size for traveling. I love my GS Mini and my Martin DJr-10E and other smaller bodied guitars. But only my Furch and my KLŌS carbon fiber have quick disassembly capabilities. The KLŌS requires a screwdriver (one is included), the Furch requires no tools. I like the KLŌS because it's a carbon fiber body, so when it's disassembled, I pack it in my suitcase, stuff it with socks, t-shirts, etc. and it takes up little room. And I can check my suitcase and not care what the baggage handlers might do.

I carry a laptop bag, so if I don't want to check a bag, I can use the Furch's backpack as a modest carryall, but much of that depends on the trip. If I'm going by car, the Furch is a great fit in the trunk/boot. Air travel gives the nod to the KLŌS most of the time.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricard View Post
I played one for about 30 minutes or so at my local shop. I was impressed and also very unimpressed. It's definitely the best sounding travel guitar I've ever heard. It's comfortable and it is very solidly constructed. That being said, I can't imagine a single scenario where I'd want to take a $2000 guitar to travel where I'd risk breaking it, theft, or anything else, over just taking my full size guitar. It doesn't sound better than some sub $1000 full size guitars I've played, and for the boxy travel guitar sound, I'd rather just take a $400 GS mini and risk that getting destroyed/stolen. The Little Jane is a wonderful guitar, I just have no clue who its for.
I use mine for lots of different things.

Any time I want to have a compact carry on as my guitar, going with a bicycle to the beach had it on my boat taking up way less space when stored.

I certainly do have concerns when travelling to not leave it where it could be stolen etc but it has served me well for many trips.

It also is a guitar I enjoy playing at home. Which I wouldn't say for many travel guitars.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

I've had mine for a couple of years. I've travelled a fair amount with it in Europe and the US.

It has a remarkable tone for its size and portability, it's easy to breakdown and set up, and it's breezy as a carry-on. I've really enjoyed being able to travel with a little guitar of this build quality.

I wish I could feel more confident about taking it on a canoe trip, or a coastal cruise in a small sailboat.

And my only complaint about its design is how heavy the neck and headstock are as compared with the body. This is primarily due to the rather substantial hardware used at the junction of the neck and headstock, essentially three stainless steel sleeve fittings. This connection could easily be made with lighter materials (carbon fiber reinforced thin walled brass tubing?). With such a feather-light build of the body along with its overall diminutive size, it feels a little like a poorly balanced knife. I've gotten used to it, and who knows, perhaps the hefty neck gives the Little Jane better acoustic projection.

I also bought it before the price increase, but I think it's still worth the greater expenditure.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I use mine for lots of different things.

Any time I want to have a compact carry on as my guitar, going with a bicycle to the beach had it on my boat taking up way less space when stored.

I certainly do have concerns when travelling to not leave it where it could be stolen etc but it has served me well for many trips.

It also is a guitar I enjoy playing at home. Which I wouldn't say for many travel guitars.
Fair. It's def not for me. I'll stick with a GS mini, but I can see how the LJ works better in the backpack on a bike ride/motorcycle.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I would also add for anyone interested take a look at Thomann. That is where I picked up mine originally and the mahogany cedar is available at 1200 not 2000$.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I would also add for anyone interested take a look at Thomann. That is where I picked up mine originally and the mahogany cedar is available at 1200 not 2000$.
Don't forget to add shipping cost. I purchased the Furch LJ-10 with the EAS-VTC pickup, and after shipping, the cost topped out at over $1,500. Which is actually close to what I paid for it originally.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Don't forget to add shipping cost. I purchased the Furch LJ-10 with the EAS-VTC pickup, and after shipping, the cost topped out at over $1,500. Which is actually close to what I paid for it originally.
True the EAS addition adds over 200 to the cost. I picked mine up originally without a pickup but then added a James May Ultratonic later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion