The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 07:28 PM

I've adopted a Breedlove acoustic/electric as a stage guitar, and it has served me well this past year. Plugged in it has a voice that serves my mixture of folk and classic rock well. I bought it to use in outdoor settings, and it works well there. Nice to have a guitar that I don't have to worry about dinging up.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:13 AM

The Breedlove and Yamaha sound very interesting.

Budget is not an issue but don't want to spend too much or I may as well use my D28.

Am constantly checking sites for a used guitar. A 1985 Taylor 810 has come for sale nearby for not too much money which I'm going to have a look at. And a local store has a used Gibson song writer deluxe which I'll try also.

I'll be bringing a Martin D15M with me on the road also...its permanently tuned to DADGAD but serves as a back up guitar also. Love that guitar for open tunings even though its a cheaper model.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Australian brands, Maton or Cole Clark.
Reputed to have the best pickups on the market today.
Never could get into Matons or Cole Clark...nothing against them but don't like their sound...especially the newer Matons.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
Never could get into Matons or Cole Clark...nothing against them but don't like their sound...especially the newer Matons.
It's not their own sound unplugged that makes them perfect for stage work, is their pickups. Supposedly, they are in a class of their own with their current systems.
My old Maton is fitted with an AP5 system, but it is almost 25yrs old.
I can't fault my newest pickup, the Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-21-2019, 05:42 AM

Yamaha AC3R is a very good working guitar.... and not too expensie too.

Good neck, good playabillity and good sound.

Check it out
Old 11-21-2019, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Breedlove and Yamaha sound very interesting.

Budget is not an issue but don't want to spend too much or I may as well use my D28.

Am constantly checking sites for a used guitar. A 1985 Taylor 810 has come for sale nearby for not too much money which I'm going to have a look at. And a local store has a used Gibson song writer deluxe which I'll try also.

I'll be bringing a Martin D15M with me on the road also...its permanently tuned to DADGAD but serves as a back up guitar also. Love that guitar for open tunings even though its a cheaper model.
My backup Gig guitar is also my D15... which has a Baggs M1 passive. By the way it also sounds Awesome through a Venue DI. It needs a gain boost. It’s a great choice of rig also because the guitar has no batteries.

I find if I have the room at the gig, I also prefer the D15 via Baggs Venue... I like the boost features. If I am in tight quarters, the Tak is all I need.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Try a new Yamaha Red Label FGX5 if you're looking for a dread.
Gorgeous, gorgeous, guitar, but very 'lightly' built, so I wouldn't take one on tour (not that I go on tour). If it's a Yamaha, the LL-16 ARE would be a more robust choice. I'd go for a Takamine or a Martin Road Series... as has already been suggested by some more expert than me.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:12 AM

I just got one of the Martin GPC series with the Matrix VT Enhanced system in it. I think this is the best all-around general purpose stage/gigging guitar I've had, and I've been through a fair number of gigging guitars (Martin with their Martin Gold endpin preamps - one of which I still have and like, Rainsong, Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster, two Taylors (nice guitars, terrible gigging guitars for me), and a few flirtations with sound hole pickups).

I'm not saying the Matrix is THE pickup. I'm sure there are better systems, and of course we all have different ears and different expectations and requirements. But for me, it's a fairly straightforward, good sounding platform.

Really dig the new guitar too - it's one of the Ovangkol topped GPC special editions from Guitar Center.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:43 AM

Like someone mentioned before, the Martin Road Series gets a lot of good reviews. I've played a few in stores and I liked them a lot.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

PS. Gibson J-15 would be a versatile choice too. And not a mid-scooped as some of the Martin's.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Like someone mentioned before, the Martin Road Series gets a lot of good reviews. I've played a few in stores and I liked them a lot.
Yeah...I have to agree and in the same price range as the Yamaha Red Labels. The D-12E I tried really made me think Martin finally got the Road Series right.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:16 AM

Cheers for all the replies.

Still shopping for THE one....what Tak models are recommended??

A friend had one but wasn't overly fond of the cedar sound....had great playability though...fantastic neck.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 AM

If you could be lucky enough to find a decent older guild D-25 -
the actual guitar that was called " The work horse "
they were a low cost pro model guitar -that still to this day are a top performer-
Ive seen them go for around 700 bucks used with a decent case .

I bought one several years ago , replaced the original saddle with bone ,
did the intonation and replaced the original in line tuners (so-so quality )
with gotohs enclosed -

You could do alot worse -
Old 11-28-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Need a good middle of the road acoustic/electric for a line of shows next year. Shows will be a mix of an acoustic band outfit and also backing a vocalist. Styles of music will accommodate everything from John Butler (blues/rock) type material to softer finger picking material.
Have a beautiful D28 but have reservations of taking out on the road after a friends D35 got badly damaged recently at a gig by a drunken punter.
Gotten a few very good reviews from players who use a Takamine ef341sc. A good sounding, not too expensive and easily replaceable were the comments...although haven't had a chance to try one yet.
Anyone offer any suggestions.
Thanks
Have a look at this thread, not so much specific recommendations, but a useful real-world overview -

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=564798
Old 11-28-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

I used a Taylor 314 CE (?) with built-in pickup and cutaway as my stage guitar for a number of years. I bought it for the purpose but eventually I decided that I wanted to use a guitar I liked better even with the increased risk because I never really wanted to play it at home (i.e. when not gigging) and I thought I should practice with the same equipment I performed with.

Last edited by soma5; 12-01-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Remembered some more details

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion