The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 01:15 PM

That would be me. I am an absolutely horrible singer. The few times I’ve tried karaoke I’ve gotten booed off stage.

Luckily I only play for myself at home so it’s not an issue. The few times I do play out and about it’s with a small group and someone else does the singing so it’s not been an issue for me.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
Yes that's true for horns...although not for concertinas, accordions, pipes (with regulators), bowed strings (where dyads are constantly employed)... But, all of those "non-polyphonic" instruments are generally loud. Harp, guitars...not so loud, and don't shape notes as do winds, reeds, bowed strings.. and generally don't lead (in Irish sessions, for example, where this distinction is a traditional consensus).
Regarding bowed strings, I am aware of dyads, but I didn't know they were classified as chords. My knowledge in this area is layman-level; I listen to a lot of classical music but I don't play any. I was proud of myself just knowing the word "pizzicato" without having to look it up.

Are concertinas, accordions, and pipes with regulators still considered melody instruments in spite of being polyphonic?

I'm learning all sorts of new things today.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:28 PM

I don’t even sing in the shower.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Regarding bowed strings, I am aware of dyads, but I didn't know they were classified as chords.

Are concertinas, accordions, and pipes with regulators still considered melody instruments in spite of being polyphonic?
I think most folks associate "chord" with three or more pitches/notes. However some are quite ardent in support of including dyads as well (I'm not a terminology nor taxonomy devotee, so I'll go either way ). However, to better qualify this point, I'll tell you that I sometimes play three notes simultaneously on fiddle

On the latter, yes in ITM free reeds and pipes are typically considered melody instruments - given they play single line melody along with fiddles, flutes, et al.

Of course, any instrument can be a "melody" instrument to greater or lesser effect.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I play and sing. My "style" of music is influenced by singer-songwriters like Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Dan Fogelberg, Paul Simon, Richard Thompson, Bruce Cockburn, etc. I am not a great singer, but I think I'm adequate for the most part. At least my dogs and cat don't mind my singing! I don't have the patience/talent to learn how to play intricate instrumental tunes, although I do appreciate those who do. And I enjoy listening to great instrumental players like Alex de Grassi, Will Ackerman, Laurence Juber, Pierre Bensusan, etc.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

Last edited by pickinray; 12-11-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:34 PM

For me during the week it's 100% solo guitar including practice . On Sunday's during worship it's playing as a duo with a keyboard player then during Communion it's solo fingerstyle guitar . As I'm now retired this keeps me busy each day
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 12-11-2019, 11:44 PM

No doubt we all do love instrumental guitar in some genre. Personally I rocked as a kid and played all that zeppelin and all .. for years my favs were bron yr-aur and of course BMS and Kashmir got me into bensusan and eventually Irish trad ...zep III turned me completely on - had to learn banjo, mndln, pedal steel...turned me on to folk music and all the great fingerstylists in all the idioms. Those guys on the windham hill label turned me on to Hedges, metheny, i was already into towner, then the brits, blues, and crazy for flamenco..

Last edited by catt; 12-11-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Almost Anyone can learn to sing

Almost anyone can learn to sing and play at the same time.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:06 PM

When I first picked up the guitar in the mid 60's my goal from day one was to become a balladeer. I accompany my vocals with guitar and I accompany my guitar with harmonica. I haven't figured out how to do vocals and harmonica together yet but when I do look out I'll be on my way to stardom.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Runaway Tomato

I played solo guitar in some higher-end restaurants in the 1970s and 80s or so, just fingerpicking (fingerstyle? lol). It brought in maybe $70 a day or so, four or five days a week. But the better money was in busy clubs where I could sing - so that's what I tried to get.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
I play guitar as a solo instrument exclusively. And I play only for the joy of it. I work a lot, but not with a guitar.
I'm the same.

If I had to play what others like instead of just what I like, it wouldn't be fun. Then it really would be work.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPADON View Post
When I first picked up the guitar in the mid 60's my goal from day one was to become a balladeer. I accompany my vocals with guitar and I accompany my guitar with harmonica. I haven't figured out how to do vocals and harmonica together yet but when I do look out I'll be on my way to stardom.
I'm just the opposite - from the time I picked up a guitar (early 60s), I wanted to be a lead guitar player like Duane Eddy and the Ventures - and later Johnny Smith and Wes Montgomery. I just don't care about singing or singers (with few exceptions) - I just don't care about lyrics.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Another thread below prompts me to ask: how many of you are guitar players.....only.....period.......no singing....no accompanying.....nothing else but playing guitar as a solo endeavor. Which also leads to the next question: do you ever work?
Can play a bit. Can sing a bit.
Just not together as yet.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 12-13-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I'm just the opposite - from the time I picked up a guitar (early 60s), I wanted to be a lead guitar player like Duane Eddy and the Ventures - and later Johnny Smith and Wes Montgomery. I just don't care about singing or singers (with few exceptions) - I just don't care about lyrics.
I've always admired hot solo players and once I had accomplished what I'd set out to do I went through an extended period of trying to do that as well. Not saying I can't solo I can but a wise man knows his strengths and limitations and I finally came to the realization that no matter how hard I worked at that it would never come as natural to me or take me as far as my vocals. That's not a bad thing it just is what it is.

Last edited by PAPADON; 12-13-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:08 AM

My original goal was to play guitar at the teen center after the football game. I sang very little (circa late 60s). In the late 80s I got in a band, and since I knew the words to lots of songs I started singing and have continued since, in an acoustic duo and full electric classic rock/country band. I consider myself to be a guitar player who sings, not a singer who plays guitar, but I can sing a whole 4 hr gig if it has to be that way. All four guys in our band sing and harmonize and that is very good for variety.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion