The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 AM

Default AirTurn PED (and alternatives)

Anyone using the AirTurn PED bluetooth page turner? I'm considering one, but also looking at PageFlip Cicada & Firefly. Any experience and recommendations? I plan to use it with Mobilesheets on my 10" LG tablet.

Joe

Update - I made a decision and purchased a PageFlip Firefly. I'm really impressed with this unit. It is sturdy, and was very easy to set up and pair with my tablet.

The Mobilesheets app I purchased was also easy to get started with. I downloaded some PDF chord charts and created a setlist, loaded the setlist and I was ready to go.

I purchased an iKlip Xpand universal mic stand support to hold my 10" LG tablet. Very happy with it so far.

Joe

Last edited by JHD512; 05-11-2015 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 AM

We are going to buy a few for the Church here shortly the new one that are going for 70 dollars each... bout the best price point out there that I have seen, but really these are the most over priced accessory going in my mind, but at the same time well worth it.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 AM

I use the Airturn with the OnSong app. Works well, just a bit fiddly to turn off. It really improves the utility of any app which supports it.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHD512 View Post
Anyone using the AirTurn PED bluetooth page turner? I'm considering one, but also looking at PageFlip Cicada & Firefly. Any experience and recommendations? I plan to use it with Mobilesheets on my 10" LG tablet.

Joe
Hi Joe…
I use a two pedal Air-Turn bluetooth pedal, and I have actually had hands-on with a 4 pedal model. It's pretty huge and really designed for more complex use than my needs.

The big issue with the inexpensive ones is durability.

One is going to press those pedals a lot of times if you use it regularly. Our Worship Team does at least 5 songs a service and mine is set in ˝ page advance mode, so in the course of a rehearsal I'll press it 40-50 times, and on Sunday morning another 20-25 times. If I play 25 times in a year that's nearly 1900 presses.

You have to remember to charge them up (most are USB). I really wish they offered a traditional battery powered model.

Another thing people don't realize is it's up to the app one is using as to whether a pedal works, and what functions it will then provoke. You initially have to pair it, and then go into the app and set functions. Once set, they tend to reconnect automatically, and the things you told it to do stick.

You should try it out ahead of time on stage. You need to know it has not paired with someone else's tablet who is using a pedal at the same time, (or chaos reigns!) Or maybe you do want to sync it…I have a friend who plays in a Worship Band where their worship leader's pedal is set so when the leader pushes his pedal, everybody's tablet switches. One pedal for the entire band.

While I like mine, and hook it up for worship team Sundays, I always have the music memorized and sometimes half way through a morning I'll look down and notice I haven't even touched the pedal, and my music is still sitting on page 1. For me it's a more useful rehearsal tool than performance.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-01-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:18 AM

The new one is an improvement. I am going to replace my cicada with one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

The big issue with the inexpensive ones is durability.
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your feedback. I was wondering about the durability. I've seen some YouTube videos where people are using the AirTurn BT105 with Boss FS-5U pedals. Looks like a good solution, but as would be expected, a more expensive one.

I play on a worship team, and we typically do 4 songs in each of 2 services. Add to that the rehearsals, and that is a good bit of use.

Joe
Old 05-01-2015, 12:09 PM

The new Firefly improves on the Cicada. It is better built, far more solid and silent with features not found on the AirTurn. Size and weight comparable.

A recent review of the newest version of the AirTurn was dissapointed in the pedals. They are completely different, boxy, more difficult to use. He recommended for those that want the AirTurn to try to get hold of the older pedals for sure if they can be found. He compared the Firefly and the latest AirTurn and concluded he would now continue on with the Firefly instead of the AirTurn because of the many improvements made since the original Cicada.

Found it:
http://performingarts.uncg.edu/patec...eflip-firefly/
Old 05-01-2015, 12:32 PM

I have one of the Ped's and a BT105.
Both are quality pieces, and are built to last.
Get the PED. Runs on a std cr2032 battery. On and off sequences are easier to work, and the PED is smaller, with no exterior wiring to worry about.
You won't be disappointed !!

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 05-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your feedback. I was wondering about the durability. I've seen some YouTube videos where people are using the AirTurn BT105 with Boss FS-5U pedals. Looks like a good solution, but as would be expected, a more expensive one.

I play on a worship team, and we typically do 4 songs in each of 2 services. Add to that the rehearsals, and that is a good bit of use.

Joe
HI Joe…
I use a first generation Air-Turn 105 and it's fine, and durable. And the battery lasts for weeks. I charge it regularly, but it's never had an issue.

It's some of the other cheap pedals I've seen up close which feel flimsy. Wish I could tell you then brands.

They belonged to people who only wanted to spend $20-30.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-01-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
The new Firefly improves on the Cicada. It is better built, far more solid and silent with features not found on the AirTurn. Size and weight comparable.

A recent review of the newest version of the AirTurn was dissapointed in the pedals. They are completely different, boxy, more difficult to use. He recommended for those that want the AirTurn to try to get hold of the older pedals for sure if they can be found. He compared the Firefly and the latest AirTurn and concluded he would now continue on with the Firefly instead of the AirTurn because of the many improvements made since the original Cicada.

Found it:
http://performingarts.uncg.edu/patec...eflip-firefly/
Thanks ac. That review was very informative.

Joe
Old 05-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Hi Joe…

One additional thought - My Air Turn fits in either my Strat or Tele case in the slots provided to carry straps etc. (not the pick drawer though it would fit there too). I unplug the wires and it slides right in without being too tight.

This is a major factor for me since I don't like to carry a lot of fragile gear traveling in outboard bags with other gear.

I've never had a jumping Air-Turn pedal issue, but then I step on pedals with the entire ball of my foot, not the tip of my toe/shoe/sandal. And my unit is the original design.

And to comment on your post to me, the outboard pedals would work just fine, but I have had no incentive to use mine (I own FS single and double pedals).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Joe

Make sure your tablet is compatible as the PED only works with newer bluetooth devices. It won't work with the iPad 2 I use for gigs.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:42 PM

I preordered the AirTurn Ped and have been very pleased with it. I use OnSong for our Praise Team and have a 22" monitor with a physical connection for our Worship Leader and connect via Wi-Fi to an iPad for our bass player.

We have our songs in PDF with markings and notations and do our best to keep the songs to one page but if it is longer then one press on the Ped goes a full page down (portrait mode). Otherwise it advances to the right to the next song. I also have the Ped set so that a second press, if less than 1 second, won't have any effect. Figured that out the hard way after accidentally double tapping the pedal and skipping a song one Sunday morning.

I've forgotten how long the little battery is suppose to last but it's a long time, and it comes with a spare. It only took a few times to learn how to turn the Ped on/off and get it right the first time.

I like it because of the price, no wires or anything sticking out, silent, very easy to use and setup, and it fits in the string/pick pocket in my case.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 11-28-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Bumping an old thread--shopping for a Bluetooth pedal to use with OnSong on my iPad. I'd like the pedal to scroll on a page (programmable speed), turn pages, and easily access other songs. Recommendations? I assume there are new options since this thread started.
Thx
Old 11-28-2019, 08:01 PM

I use the iRig Blueturn. It is about the cheapest option. It is no frills but does the job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion