The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 06:28 AM

In Sibelius, do the following:

House Style

Edit Instruments

Select an existing guitar tab instrument (e.g. Acoustic Guitar Standard Tuning Tab)

Create New Instrument (it will ask you to confirm you want to create a new instrument based on Acoustic Guitar Standard Tuning Tab)

Edit Staff Type

You will then see all 6 strings with a MIDI note value (e.g. C2) for each string. Click on the note value and you will be able to change it to whatever you want.

After changing the notes on all 6 strings to your tuning, give it a name a save it.

Last edited by 815C; 07-12-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:04 AM

I've used tabledit for years. There is a free version and a paid version.
Very easy to use and lots of good things in it.

http://www.tabledit.com/
Old 07-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I use PowerTab Editor (for Windows only). It's free and works great. Then I take that and convert it to portable documate format (PDF) with another free program. Check out the links below and you can look at the PDFs on my website if interested. A older but dedicated tab editor that is fairly easy to use.

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.phph.../download.html

http://www.pdf995.com/download.html

Example PDF

Selection of tuning

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-12-2014, 11:28 AM

You might take a look at TuxGuitar. I run it on Ubuntu Linux, and have been able to do the things I need it for.

What I like most about it is an almost zero learning curve. I installed it and was tabbing out a song within 5 minutes. And it is free, at least on Linux, so I assume the same for Mac.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 07-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. To be really specific I'm looking for a software program that makes it as easy as possible to assign non standard pitches to each string. For example the version of Raglan Road that I play now is set to DAEAC#E (A major chord with a D bass). I also play in Orkney Tuning along with a host of other C based tonalities, DADGAD and several variations of it to name just a few of the alternate tunings I employ.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. To be really specific I'm looking for a software program that makes it as easy as possible to assign non standard pitches to each string. For example the version of Raglan Road that I play now is set to DAEAC#E (A major chord with a D bass). I also play in Orkney Tuning along with a host of other C based tonalities, DADGAD and several variations of it to name just a few of the alternate tunings I employ.
tabledit=====
Old 07-12-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceltia63 View Post
tabledit=====
I've just been reading info from the TablEdit website and it does look much more straightforward and guitar friendly than Finale and Sibelius as does Guitar Pro. That said, the two big advantages with the full Finale package are the capability of producing publication ready scores for submission to major music Publishers and generating scores for guitar and various ensembles (i.e. string quartet, wind instruments, choir, etc.). Hey, didn't I just say in my last post that what I'm really looking for is software that makes it as easy as possible to assign non standard tuning to each string? Yes. That's what I said.
Thanks again for the input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alternate guitar tunings, mac operating system, music printing software, tablature