The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM

Default Greven 000-28 "New Vintage" Guitars - Sound Clip content - Visit with John Greven

I have been trying for days to find the time to do John Greven and his 000-28 "New Vintage" Model Guitars and his complete relaxed "down home" Hospitality justice, with a lengthy write up. This will just have to do with the time I have available, and comparison soundclips.

I have had the opportunity to visit with John Greven a few times over the last few weeks, toured his shop, listened intently to his vast amount of "Vintage Acoustic Guitar" knowledge, play his personal Greven 000 "New Vintage" Brazilian/Lutz and also play our very own Collings forum member JimR's Greven 000-28 "New Vintage" Brazilian/Adirondack, which was in for a tune up. First of all, y'all know I am a "Dreads Rule" kinda Guy....but I will tell you John's 000's are all the volume, power, balance/blend that I would really need.

If John Greven and his Guitars are not on your list of Boutique Acoustic Guitar Builders....you definitely need to add him to your list. Without further ado...here are some comparison sound clips for you.

Clips were made with a Zoom H2, flat EQ, No Effects, x-y pattern, approximately 14" away, between the 14th fret and the sound hole. These can be a little lengthy for just comparisons sake, but hopefully they are helpful to the mass of Tone-Hounds around these parts.

Performed by John Greven - National Thumnbpick, Brass Fingerpicks:
Greven 000 Braz/Lutz - Snappy Tune

Greven 000-28 Braz/Adi - Snappy Tune

Performed by Duffy Callaway (mcduffnw) - National Thumbpick, flesh/nails:
Greven 000 Braz/Lutz - Waterfall

Greven 000-28 Braz/Adi - Waterfall

Greven 000 Braz/Lutz - FS

Greven 000-28 Braz/Adi - FS

There are more sound clips. Just press on the plus songs when the song is playing and it will take you to the artist page and more songs.

Sooooo.....which one did I prefer.....well, JimR's BEAUTIFUL Braz/Adi was definitely more articulate with such great presence, chime and sparkle.....but Man Oh Man....the STUNNING Braz/Lutz was "Vintage Tone" to die for.

I AM VERY CONFUSED! But a happy man, and when I get around to small bodied Guitars...I will be talking with Greven. Top of my list for sure.

Best,
MRT

Last edited by dadthrash; 08-20-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM

John's Greven 000 "New Vintage" Brazlian / Lutz

JimR's Greven 000-28 "New Vintage" Brazilian / Adirondack

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Lightbulb Great Review!

Thanks so much for taking your time to put this together and sharing. John Greven is an amazing luthier as well as Jim Merrill......you definitely have a lot to weigh out if you are giving these two awesome builders consideration for your own personal guitar..!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Just stumbled upon this. Surprised I missed it. It deserves a Grevenista bump.

Goes to show you never can tell... at least not until you look under the hood. Very cool A/B

Julius Borges OM-18 (Adirondack/Sinker Mahogany)
Bob Altman OM-2D (Adirondack/Brazilian Rosewood)
John Greven 00-12 (Lutz/Brazilian Rosewood)
Fraulini Erma (Sitka/White Oak)
Harmony H162 (Sitka/Mahogany)
Franklin Jumbo (Engleman/EIR)
Ken Hooper 12 Fret D28 (Carpathian/Honduran Rosewood)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

I hold John in the highest regard and consider him my first mentor. He has built over 2200 guitars which is a feat most of us will never even get close to. He has a very in-depth knowledge of vintage guitars and has probably been inside of more than most. He is able to coax true vintage tone from a new guitar that only a hand full of builders can achieve today. I kindheartedly agree with the OP and if you were looking for a true vintage tone from a new instrument, John should certainly be at the top of your short list.

Fantastic sound clips too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop