The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 05:58 PM

I hit a really good store, Wilcutt, in Lexington KY, in the morning and it was great. Before any crowd had gathered and staff was helpful. See if you can find a good store and try a lot of guitars.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
I will continue to practice, study, testing guitars, etc.
Now you got it. Educate yourself and enjoy the hunt!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-13-2020, 07:46 PM

Don't be disappointed to find your taste changing as you get more experience.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Don't be disappointed to find your taste changing as you get more experience.
Oh, I fully expect it will :-)
Old 03-13-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Hello friends,

Longtime lurker, finally ready to take the plunge.

Context: I used to play quite a bit in my teenage years, but that was a long time ago. I'm now at a place where I want to pick it up again, be serious about it, and I'm blessed to be in a position where I can afford to spend a few thousand if need be. I will be playing for myself and family at home. I am not joining a band, I won't need to overpower anything.

Challenge: I know myself, while a $200 Yamaha would fit my current skill-level, I am the type of person that much prefer quality over quantity. I don't want 5-10 guitars to cover every scenario perfectly - I want one great all-around guitar that will serve me well for most everything (yes, it won't be perfect at all).

I want to play a mix of fingerpicking, strumming, flatpicking, etc. Think more classics like Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkel, Clapton, etc than bluegrass.

Lastly, I want a US-made guitar, it doesn't need to be all tricked out with pearl everywhere, but I have a soft spot for sunburst top, golden tuners, white binding on fretboard, etc.

I've tried Martins, e.g. D18, D28, HD28, D41, and OM-28. Need to try a D-35 and HD-35 as well. I tried some Taylors and Gibsons, but I that didn't gel for some reason. I'd love to play some Collings, e.g. OM2H but I think that is spending a bit too much, I'd ideally like to keep it below $3K, but could go slightly over if need be. (but hey, if I find the "right one" for $2K, I wouldn't mind ;-))

I don't mind the idea of buying used, e.g. on Reverb, but we all know there is a lot of variations between instruments so it is hard to buy the right instrument online.

Sorry for the rant - what are your recommendations? Which guitar fulfills the challenge? OM or Dreadnaught? I am not sure I really need that canon/booming sound of a Dread, but they do have many other upsides? OMs are very comfortable to play, especially sitting at home in the sofa, but then again, I'm 6'1"/185cm to I can handle a Dread easily. Hog or Rosewood sides and back? 14 fret? So many questions and options...

Which models and makers am I missing? Which is the one and only e.g. Martin?

Thanks in advance!
So not sure if you are saying no to non-USA guitars because you think your only options are cheap Chinese or Mexican made guitars, but there are stunning guitars coming from Ireland (McIllroy, Lowden) , Czech Republic (Furch), and Germany (Lakewood) just to name a few.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:21 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

If you happen to suffer from arthritis(I don't), and you want a flash, US made guitar you could try one of the Taylors. I found the one I tried had a very light action. I think the Taylor 8 series are way blingy.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:19 AM

Nice first post, really captures where many of us "late re-starters" are coming from. Many people here have walked similar journeys. You ask for advice here, you'll get plenty!

My advice, for what it's worth... don't worry about your "forever guitar" right from the start. Get a quality instrument and start playing. Give yourself a few years and several guitars to understand what your hands like (neck shape, scale length, string spacing), what your ears and voice like, and re-discover the style you are happiest to play.

As to trying multiple guitars, buy high quality used & well known instruments... it is a very, very inexpensive education when you can easily resell at or near the price you purchase... it is FUN to try a variety of instruments, and the education is priceless. Larivee, Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Breedlove... try them all!

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-14-2020, 05:26 AM

I don't know how far you are from Laurel, MD but you should definitely test-drive one of these..

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ma...=00015&index=2
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-14-2020, 05:55 AM

OP-

play as many as you can. Do not let the limitations of this pandemic guide you to try to find/play/buy an instrument. Just start the journey and eventually you get where you want to go. My first buy was an all mahogany Martin I bought for $300. I recently found a wonderful sounding Larrivee for much less than you might think, from a member here. Do yourself a favor and take the time to play a couple hundred or so. Learn what makes you smile when you play. Someone here said earlier in the thread that your history comes with playing the instrument. Look at used prices, they are invariably a better deal, if you know what you're looking for...YMMV

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 03-14-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Well, perhaps neither Rolex or Porsche was the most accurate comparison ;-)

As I said, I don't mind buying used at all, but all the e.g. Martins on Craigslist have a rather high asking price (sellers seem to think their used guitars are worth a lot), and buying online seems to be a shot in the dark.
I don't know where you live, but most people have a really well stocked store within a half day's drive. I'm in NY and for me the first choice is The Music Emporium. My lutheir/repairman usually has some nice used guitars for sale - got a Martin from him.

Buying in a store usually means a reasonable setup, possibly a return policy and a higher price - but a quality store isn't going to try and sell you a pig in a poke.

I purchased my current Martin from one of the forum members. There are a lot of quality people selling guitars right here. I personally wouldn't do eBay or Reverb, but some people do.

The nice part about used guitars is that it's difficult to do damage to a guitar that doesn't show.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-14-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Hello friends,

Longtime lurker, finally ready to take the plunge.

Context: I used to play quite a bit in my teenage years, but that was a long time ago. I'm now at a place where I want to pick it up again, be serious about it, and I'm blessed to be in a position where I can afford to spend a few thousand if need be. I will be playing for myself and family at home. I am not joining a band, I won't need to overpower anything.

Challenge: I know myself, while a $200 Yamaha would fit my current skill-level, I am the type of person that much prefer quality over quantity. I don't want 5-10 guitars to cover every scenario perfectly - I want one great all-around guitar that will serve me well for most everything (yes, it won't be perfect at all).

I want to play a mix of fingerpicking, strumming, flatpicking, etc. Think more classics like Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkel, Clapton, etc than bluegrass.

Lastly, I want a US-made guitar, it doesn't need to be all tricked out with pearl everywhere, but I have a soft spot for sunburst top, golden tuners, white binding on fretboard, etc.

I've tried Martins, e.g. D18, D28, HD28, D41, and OM-28. Need to try a D-35 and HD-35 as well. I tried some Taylors and Gibsons, but I that didn't gel for some reason. I'd love to play some Collings, e.g. OM2H but I think that is spending a bit too much, I'd ideally like to keep it below $3K, but could go slightly over if need be. (but hey, if I find the "right one" for $2K, I wouldn't mind ;-))

I don't mind the idea of buying used, e.g. on Reverb, but we all know there is a lot of variations between instruments so it is hard to buy the right instrument online.

Sorry for the rant - what are your recommendations? Which guitar fulfills the challenge? OM or Dreadnaught? I am not sure I really need that canon/booming sound of a Dread, but they do have many other upsides? OMs are very comfortable to play, especially sitting at home in the sofa, but then again, I'm 6'1"/185cm to I can handle a Dread easily. Hog or Rosewood sides and back? 14 fret? So many questions and options...

Which models and makers am I missing? Which is the one and only e.g. Martin?

Thanks in advance!
I suggest looking at Breedlove guitars. I have come to prize the brand above all others and will peruse them first. I'm also a player of the music you exampled here, and was very happy with the Breedlove concert I had and gifted away. The playability of Breedlove's necks is the best I've found. Mine had a truss installed in the body as a forward-thinking preventive maintenance concept standardized with the high-end models. It was also touted as a sound enhancement, which I thought was just ad-talk, until I loosened the compression on mine and listened with the compression rod in and out of contact with the tail block. There was definitely an increase in volume with the rod making contact. After a lot of years playing it's Breedlove's concert size I've focused upon as the exceptional finger picking guitar over all other factory brands, for sound and playability. Aesthetics, on the other hand, is a whole other non-musical ear/hand barrier many succumb to. Be wary of your own.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, I fully expect it will :-)
That is correct. Then couple that with the fact that at this beginning stage,,," you do not know what you do not know ".... Which means your self imposed filters are probably not all that realistic. That is to say as inexperienced as you are, you are not really likely to be able to effectively purchase a "one and only" however with a $2k-$3k budget , you may well luck out and get a keeper.

That said I would suggest drop all the shopping filters, except for your budget range, and go play as many guitar brands as you can in that price range.
And I would second the recommendation to check out Breedlove in that mix

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-14-2020, 08:37 AM

Your self-description made me smile: I have the same background and last summer I was making the same decision.

At this point, I can only echo the thoughts of other posters. Your decision is both easy and hard (impossible?) at the same time. Easy from the sense that the guitars you are considering are all excellent. Hard/impossible because you will improve and likely will explore different directions. For example, I recently have been working on Irish melodies that use alternative tuning. Do I wish I bought a Lowden? Not necessarily, although I would be curious to try one out. I am quite content with my Martin OM-28. Whether I am playing Paul Simon, Dave Matthews, or Turlough O’Carolan the sound from the guitar is magical.

Enjoy your journey and stay healthy.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

One clarification: I have no illusion of finding the ultimate grail guitar, I just want something that is good or great for all scenarios with still with a bit of character.

Maybe watches or cars weren’t good analogies, but let’s compare it to photography. For example, there are lots of 50mm prime lenses, everyone makes one. I am looking for suggestions to find that Leica Summilux-M 50/1.4 ASPH or Canon RF 50/1.2L, if you will.

I know I have to try them all, but I am seeking advice on what you guys like to play and why.

Cheers
Old 03-14-2020, 11:34 AM

great thread.
Depending on your age. you may find
as you get older the dred may not be as
cpmfortable to play as others.
I have a very nice dread custom shop
Taylor. it plays like cream butter and
sounds just ad sweet.
adi top madagasgcar back and sides.
It does not sound like a typical twangy
taylor. More like a brazilian d28.
Im saying this because i wouldnt
discount taylors. I for one am enamoured with taylors 712ce.
It has a lutz top eir back.
The 12 fret model is my fav.
It has a distinct sound. Deeper
than your typical taylor. And loud
for a grand concert.
If you can find one of these 712ce 12 fret cutaway try one. It may change
your mind about Taylor. they make them in sunburst as well.
Here is a used one on reverb. I know you dont
want to buy online but this gives you an idea.
2017 Taylor 712ce 12-Fret Western Sunburst https://reverb.com/item/32061881-201...m_medium=share

Last edited by varmonter; 03-14-2020 at 11:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, martin, new guitar