The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
I love bluegrass and like several of the current groups out there. Would Love to go The IBMA Festival at Raleigh next weekend, but my health and finances would not allow it, anyone going?
I'll be there...in fact, I volunteered to work a few days at the festival. One day I'll be working in the exhibit hall and two days at the instrument check-in/storage. Hoping to see a couple Loars and 'bones!

I never was a bluegrass fan...mostly blues and rock but I guess I've lived long enough in Carolina to get some fine BG sounds into my head. I've since crossed over to the dark side...I bought a couple mandolins within the past six months and trying to learn some old time fiddle tunes. I also have three other friends who have picked up mandolin this year.

Hopin' to have some fun pickin' this upcoming week....
Old 09-28-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
but when playing with others, everyone has to bring their volume level down so you can be heard. Thats why i play mandolin. I love bluegrass and old time music
Or step up to the mic - ala Del McCoury. Yeah, even loud guitars have difficulty competing with high frequency instruments like a fiddle, banjo and mando.

Lucky for me I'm in a duo and my playing partner (wife) doesn't try to squash me with her banjo.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-28-2014, 08:55 AM

Anybody seen this movie? High Lonesome: The Story of Bluegrass Music:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107111/

I'm not any sort of expert on bluegrass, but I like the music and liked the film too. Knew the director a little bit, although not well -- met her through some grad school friends back in the '90s.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Or step up to the mic - ala Del McCoury. Yeah, even loud guitars have difficulty competing with high frequency instruments like a fiddle, banjo and mando.

Lucky for me I'm in a duo and my playing partner (wife) doesn't try to squash me with her banjo.
no mics for me, i only play at jams, it would be frowned upon for me to show up with a pa system and a mic
Old 09-28-2014, 09:22 AM

I grew up with it. My dad was a big country fan. I enjoyed it but didn't REALLY appreciate it until some years later.

And, while I am not a deeply religious person, I've always liked and have been touched by the gospel influences on bluegrass and old-timey.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 09-28-2014, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the links people. I love watching and listening to BG but decided to learn the style a bit after I found a good teacher in my area. Should be good fun.
2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 09-28-2014, 09:28 AM

I enjoy bluegrass music and will attend a local State Park to hear it played by various groups once a year. That is if everything else falls in to place so we can do it.

I wish I could play it, but I am on the outside looking in. I would goof off at the house a few years ago trying to play along. Never good enough to try it in front of others. My right arm and hand is and has been acting up for some time now and I cannot get it to work like it should. Some days it is hard to do a standard 4/4 country thing. I guess age takes its toll on some of us.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Anybody seen this movie? High Lonesome: The Story of Bluegrass Music:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107111/

I'm not any sort of expert on bluegrass, but I like the music and liked the film too. Knew the director a little bit, although not well -- met her through some grad school friends back in the '90s.
Just decided to check but this film is on YouTube.

2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 09-28-2014, 09:42 AM

this is why a bluegrass subforum would work well here....BG is real, honest, authentic Americana, just like the blues is... it came from the grassroots folks who lived it everyday. Some of the most superb musicians in existence are bluegrass players, as well as the blues. I don't think of either one of those genres as being over-produced in the studio very much, like a lot of rock or jazz can tend to be.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 09-28-2014, 09:58 AM

I lead a decidedly amateur bluegrass band, and it provides more fun than any musical form I've ever been involved in.

In fact, we just played a show yesterday morning, at one of our local Farmer's Markets.

I love to see the smiles on people's faces as they stop to listen. It's an amazing feeling.

My experience is that a lot of people think they don't like Bluegrass, until they stumble upon a band really digging in and having a great time.

All the best.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 AM

While I'm not a huge fan of BG, I do believe the musicianship found in the great BG bands is on par with classical music. It's often played at very high speed, but with accuracy and precision. I love the way a lot of BG players get their guitars to sound: mile high action and heavy strings makes them just boom. Having said all that, a little of it goes a long way with me.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Del McCoury
Seldom Scene
Flatt and Scruggs

I played bluegrass banjo 71-77.. 1925 Ball Bearing conversion.
Sold to finance a divorce. I miss the banjo.

I like bluegrass in small doses. One element of bluegrass turns me off.
Jams. Quite unlike the more egalitarian and friendly Old Time Music scene.
I now play some old time.

One element of Bluegrass I enjoy is Gospel.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:19 AM

I dabble in it some. My dad had a few albums, and I would see it on TV at my grandparents' place in Tennessee. I started listening more after I got satellite radio a couple of years ago, and I just got a book on flatpicking to learn from.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Del McCoury
Seldom Scene
Flatt and Scruggs

I played bluegrass banjo 71-77.. 1925 Ball Bearing conversion.
Sold to finance a divorce. I miss the banjo.

I like bluegrass in small doses. One element of bluegrass turns me off.
Jams. Quite unlike the more egalitarian and friendly Old Time Music scene.
I now play some old time.

One element of Bluegrass I enjoy is Gospel.
You ran into the wrong jam(s). Every jam I've been to has been very friendly and even welcoming to beginners. Every genre has bad groups of jammers. Bluegrass doesn't have more bad jams than other styles
Old 09-28-2014, 10:35 AM

I like Bluegrass and old school country (root music?), but I do not like most modern country music.

I really like Old Crow Medicine Show's first album titled OCMS. Got to see them live once. I also liked the music from "O Brother Where Art Thou" and "The B Good Tanyas" (Jolie Holland). Unfortunately, I don't live near Raleigh.

Good Luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bluegrass guitar