The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-25-2020, 09:19 AM

Default Cordoba C-12 opinion

Looking for input from those that might own one about playing notes in the 12th - 15th fret range.

Does the elevated fret-board make playing on the higher frets easier?

I love my C-10, but accessing those higher frets can be cumbersome at times

Thanks

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-25-2020, 10:19 AM

With the C12 I did not notice any degree of increased ease with the elevated fretboard over the body - felt exactly the same as the standard height.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
With the C12 I did not notice any degree of increased ease with the elevated fretboard over the body - felt exactly the same as the standard height.
+1

I like the sound of my C12. I wish it were a cutaway though.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:49 AM

Thank you so much for your input.

I guess what I'm looking for is a Cedar C10 with a cutaway.

I've tried all the various crossover guitars and just can't handle the narrower width necks.

Dave
Old 01-26-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

By chance I found a Spruce Solista prototype with a cutaway last year on eBay.

Have you considered Takamine Hirade? Also, I think that Yamaha recently introduced a new line of NCX guitars with cutaway?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post

That's good to know. Apparently the variations around "how elevated is elevated" are all over the map. I imagine the maximum highest (and useful) elevated fingerboard would introduce structural forces "upward" on top that need to be carefully engineered, and not as a simple add-on feature. (?)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I've tried all the various crossover guitars and just can't handle the narrower width necks.

Dave
I'm with you on that.
I ended up with a Cervantes Crossover II guitar, which has the cutaway, but the classical fretboard and width. Here's a pic:

At the time, Cervantes was the only one I found that provided those specs. I'm sure there are more now.
As far reaching the upper frets go on your Cordoba:
Try dipping your left shoulder as you ready yourself to play those notes. It should help with the reach and accuracy. That's what the classical players do.
I agree that elevated fingerboards have minimal effect, but together with a dipped shoulder should make things even easier.
But, nothing beats a cutaway as far as I'm concerned.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-27-2020, 06:18 AM

AndreF- That's a really nice looking guitar!!!

2020 is my year to consolidate / de-clutter the house of extra guitars, etc.

I'm tired of humidifying and maintaining guitars that don't get played on a regular basis. So, I'm in the process of selling a few guitars .

My current thought is obtaining a C-12 Cedar as my sole classical guitar. My left hand loves the shape of Cordoba necks.

But now you have me thinking about trying out a similar Cervantes as yours and seeing how it feels & sounds.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
I'm with you on that.
I ended up with a Cervantes Crossover II guitar, which has the cutaway, but the classical fretboard and width. Here's a pic:

At the time, Cervantes was the only one I found that provided those specs. I'm sure there are more now.
As far reaching the upper frets go on your Cordoba:
Try dipping your left shoulder as you ready yourself to play those notes. It should help with the reach and accuracy. That's what the classical players do.
I agree that elevated fingerboards have minimal effect, but together with a dipped shoulder should make things even easier.
But, nothing beats a cutaway as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Dave
Thanks! You and I seem to have very similar viewpoints.
I don't know if 2020 will be the year, but soon enough I too will be looking to draw down the inventory of nice guitars I have. The older I get, the more I play music that is satisfied by a more focused group of instruments. And the others get neglected. It's a shame.
Quote:
My current thought is obtaining a C-12 Cedar as my sole classical guitar. My left hand loves the shape of Cordoba necks.
A neck shape that is to your liking is a super important criteria. No doubt.
And if a real nice classical is in my future (still up in the air) I'm sure that I'll pick cedar as the topwood. Over the years, I've come to like it the best, even though spruce ones can also be very good. But cedar is king imo.
Quote:
But now you have me thinking about trying out a similar Cervantes as yours and seeing how it feels & sounds.
The Crossover II are not as popular as the I, so they are harder to find. Seems like our preference in crossovers, i.e. with classical type necks, is apparently not shared by most, who prefer the more steel like necks.

I wish you success in your quest!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 PM

I also wanted a cordoba-like guitar with a cutaway, but a wider neck. I loved the C10 - but like you said, no easy upper fretboard access. I ended up buying a used (reverb) New World Player Cutaway model. New World is designed by Kenny Hill, the same designer of the C10 (he designs a lot of the Cordobas); thus the neck in my guitar feels identical to the cordobas. If you are in the SF bay area, stop by his shop.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:10 AM

Over the past week or so, I was able to sell all my other nylon string guitars.

I was able to check out a few Kenny Hill guitars in the past and liked them. But it seems like I'm a Cordoba fan boy at heart.

Yesterday, I pulled the trigger and purchased a new Cordoba C-12 cedar via guitar center. It's supposed to arrive at my house tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to playing it & seeing how the elevated fretboard ease's access to the upper frets.

Plus, I'm having separation anxiety from not having a nylon string guitar handy.

Dave
Old 01-28-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm tired of humidifying and maintaining guitars that don't get played on a regular basis. So, I'm in the process of selling a few guitars .

Dave
Does this mean the GK Pro is on the chopping block? I bought a used cracked one a few years ago and after doing the repairs gave it to my grandson. He brought it up one day recently and I was delighted at how good it is. I had forgotten. Lol
Old 01-28-2020, 11:06 AM

My GK Pro was a really nice guitar & was sold about a week or so ago.

The decision to sell it was predicated by the need to De-clutter my life. Looking ahead to focusing on playing my primary guitars rather than spending time maintaining numerous guitars that weren't being played.

That decision meant reducing the herd to 1 steel string and 1 nylon string guitar in the house.

It is really nice to not have sections of a room occupied by guitar cases or going through them each week to humidify them.

The GK Pro's construction has a bit of flamenco sound that is inherent to it. Thus Gypsy King in it's name..

No matter what I did with my playing technique, I just couldn't overcome it on tunes where that particular sound wasn't appropriate.

I think my playing expectations has probably changed over the past few years with respect to nylon string guitar sound.

So ultimately, I decided that my desire on nylon string guitar is more towards the classical sound.

I probably could have stayed with the C-10 & been very happy. But I decided that upgrade to the elevated fretboard on the C-12 would get me slightly easier access to frets 12-15.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
Does this mean the GK Pro is on the chopping block? I bought a used cracked one a few years ago and after doing the repairs gave it to my grandson. He brought it up one day recently and I was delighted at how good it is. I had forgotten. Lol

Last edited by dkstott; 01-30-2020 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 01-30-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I hope the C12 does what you want for you. I understand about the flavor of the Gk Pro sound, I think that is what made it so appealing the other day for me. And on reflection see why you would choose something else for a sole guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical