The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-03-2020, 05:50 PM

Default Rough Bridge Slot

Hi. I have a bridge question.

The bottom of the slot on my kenny hill "Player" model nylon string guitar (no electronics) isn't smooth. It's pebbly and has a texture to it. Almost like it's glue on top of the wood.

Should I just leave it alone or buy a saddle slot Leveler from Stewmac and smooth it out?

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool..._Levelers.html

The glue may gum-up the file, so I could instead sand a square dowel to size and glue fine sandpaper to the bottom of it?

Thanks

Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Where, exactly, is the problem? I see no issues in the photos, not that there are none. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:07 PM

I ask because it is my understanding that the slot should be smooth (like it is on my other guitars) - to maximize the saddle/bridge contact area (to optimize sound). So I'm wondering if it's common to have such a rough surface.

Last edited by lar; 04-03-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 PM

It does happen occasionally, since this was done using a router than may have had a dull bit. Routing against the grain is another cause. I would not be too concerned about it, unless it is not flat along the length of the slot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair