The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Thalia Need Your Donation to fund COVID box UPDATE

UPDATE: I received another email from Chris (see below). They have set up a GoFundMe link as they need additional $$ to help get their orders out.

"Thalia needs your help to get Intubation Boxes to hospitals fighting COVID-19..."

If you missed our previous post on how we are building intubation boxes to fight COVID-19 you can find that here https://www.thaliacapos.com/pages/thaliabox

It has been a crazy few days here in the Thalia Studio as we tool up to mass produce intubation boxes. We have already packed and shipped out our first 20 boxes and expect to send out 50 more on Monday. We have worked through a ton of production kinks and expect to be able to make up to 100 per day by midweek!

While we have been working with hospitals to buy these, most of the purchases to date have been made by doctors and nurses directly out of their own pockets.

We have already received requests from medical staff at over 100 different hospitals who are looking for box sponsors and the requests keep coming in!
I just setup a GoFundMe page so that we can scale our efforts and get as many of these boxes out to the frontline medical staff that need them most. I plan to show exactly where each box goes via a map that we are developing.

If you can donate any amount we would be grateful. If not, we ask that you please share our GoFundMe page with your networks.
Thank you for your support!
Chris, Thalia & Team

MAKE A DONATION NOW ON https://www.gofundme.com/f/thalia-in...Z2N0YlVGIn0%3D

MY FIRST POST ABOUT THIS I got this email today from Chris at Thalia and wow.

"Several of my friends & family members are healthcare workers serving on the front lines in the fight against the Corona Virus. And my daughter Thalia plans to follow in their footsteps, going off to college in the fall as a pre-med major. I am disheartened by the grave reality that these brave women and men are risking their lives to provide necessary care. As we "shelter in place" and do our part to stop the spread of this disease, I have been sleepless wanting to do something to help them.

I cannot sit on the sidelines in this fight, especially when I know that we can mobilize and make a meaningful difference that will save lives. So here is what I have been working on these past couple of weeks (along with shipping your orders)...

As some background, I have designed medical devices before and actually spent a fair amount of time developing suppliers in China in the medical space, including getting their factories FDA registered. I have now rekindled those relationships and I am currently working on several big projects.
First, I have begun importing N95 masks and other PPE from one of my well known suppliers. I had to jump through some regulatory hurdles but we now have a supply chain flowing with our first 10,000 N95 masks in transit. Once we successfully get the supply chain flowing, we plan to increase importation of these masks and other PPE to 50,000 per week or more. We will then distribute these products to the hospitals that need them most.

Second, I have been working on several designs of new products that are desperately needed on the front lines. One that has bubbled to the top is called the aerosol box. These boxes are used to provide additional protection to doctors and nurses when they perform endotracheal intubations (i.e. putting someone onto a respirator with corona virus). This box or shield was first created in Taiwan by Dr. Hsien Yung Lai.

A doctor friend of mine who oversees 30 emergency rooms in California told me that these were needed ASAP and that if we could mobilize Thalia to make these that we would save lives. So seeing a clear need and opportunity, we have redesigned the box with his input so that it can be made very efficiently and cost effectively in the Thalia Studio using our six laser cutters. With this new design, I expect to be able to produce 200 of these boxes per day within a short period of time.

Here is our new upgraded design, which was redesigned with several improvements as well as modifications to enable high speed manufacturing. Special thanks to Gary Tamkin, MD, FACP, for his guidance in finalizing this upgraded design.

My hope is that we will accomplish several things with this initiative. One, we will save lives and do our part to support the brave women and men on the front lines of this war. Two, we will put our team back to work during the shutdown. Rest assured that we will build all of the amazing Thalia products that you have ordered to help us during this shutdown just as soon as the "shelter in place" order is lifted. And I have extended the 50% Discount for the duration of the shelter in place order which has been extended until May 4.

As one of the few USA manufacturing facilities left in our area with the equipment and skills necessary to aid the war effort I feel compelled to do our part. Please note that we do plan to take extra precautions to keep our team safe. We plan to do thorough daily cleanings of our studio and all studio staff will wear protective gear including masks and gloves.
As always, thank you for your support as we navigate these turbulent times.

Chris

https://www.thaliacapos.com/pages/thaliabox

Last edited by Blueser100; 04-05-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that's awesome. I've seen so many companies who normally make other products starting to develop masks, intubation boxes, etc in order to help the medical workers on the front lines. Amazing work by Thalia and all the other companies doing this sort of thing.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

What a splendid effort. One person can make a difference in the world. For good or ill. Just consider Patient Zero.
David
Old 04-03-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I just read that email, as well. I need nothing from them but ordered something anyway. So cool !!!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for your efforts! Very glad you have the wherewithal to produce these, and congratulations on letting this idea bubble up from your consciousness!

I KNOW the solution is right out there, in front of our faces... I'm no virologist, but I keep imagining a treatment, a vaccination for this virus... it may happen today!

I look around me and feel such appreciation for all that I have, right now, all my blessings... while I imagine the joy and relief that comes from finding the "cure"...

Feel good, folks, and be well... and thanks again for the box!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-03-2020, 01:52 PM

Default Thalia Capos Creates an intubation box for COVID-19

A well-deserved thumbs-up to Chris and the crew at Thalia Capos for stepping up in this time of need - you've got my business...

Kinda makes ya wonder why the "big boys" - with their state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities, greater financial/materials resources, international contacts, and large pool of skilled labor - aren't doing the same...

Then again, it must be wonderful to be able to open up a $200K+ supercar along winding country roads on an early spring morning, unimpeded by the locals on the way to work in their 15-year-old clunkers...
Old 04-03-2020, 01:56 PM

That's great. Most manufacturing can be adapted for other purposes. Everyone should do their part.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Hey Blueser,

Thank you so much for that!

I am sending to my daughter who is intubating Covid patients right now.

Any support they get means a lot to them. In our town we are donating to restaurants who bring them free pizza. In her town they rang the church bells, blared the sirens and all came out on their front porches at the same time and clapped.

This thing is very emotional for the health care people, and anything to get their minds off of what they are dealing with for even a moment is very helpful. Please support them in any way you can.

I don't need another capo, but I'm going to buy something from Thalia.

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Then again, it must be wonderful to be able to open up a $200K+ supercar along winding country roads on an early spring morning, unimpeded by the locals on the way to work in their 15-year-old clunkers...
This, while people without health insurance are getting $30K+ surprise bills for their "free" coronavirus tests.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-03-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
This, while people without health insurance are getting $30K+ surprise bills for their "free" coronavirus tests.
I'd love to see a link supporting this.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 04-03-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

This is a superb example of how we can best get through this crisis. Not by companies opportunistically looking for how to make the most profit, but instead ones taking action to benefit all. Well done!!!
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-03-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I read that while there should be no out of pocket for test costs, the charges for treatment are subject to copays for those insured, and people with no insurance are responsible for the cost of treatment.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-03-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I'd love to see a link supporting this.
It was actually testing and a couple of trips to the ER. She was not hospitalized:

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-03-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I work at a hospice and palliative care organization and I forwarded the link to the person in charge of this type of equipment for our agency. It is great that Thalia is doing this.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-04-2020, 12:07 AM

Outstanding!!! All kudos to Thalia capos!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic