The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 01:54 PM

Here in Nova Scotia all parks, sports fields, playgrounds, etc. have been closed for two weeks after the province declared a state of emergency. People have been fined $700 for walking in a park or taking their dog to a soccer field. Yesterday, a guy got fined $1000 for standing too close to someone at a bus stop (guessing there's more to the story there). Someone else got fined for having a party in their house during the stay at home order.

I think we have two more months of this and a third month with the rules relaxing.

The liquor store is still open ... deemed an essential service .
Old 04-03-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The liquor store is still open ... deemed an essential service .
I know some people object to liquor stores being deemed essential (I don’t mean to imply that you object, Dru; but I’ve heard a few comments from friends in recent weeks). And I can say that, for me, they aren’t anywhere close to essential. But having witnessed a few alcohol withdrawal seizures when I was working with addicted folks, I can say that there is wisdom in preserving access to alcohol for some who would otherwise end up in the emergency room.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Here in Iowa we are not under stay at home orders. Though my wife and I and most of my neighbors in our condo association have pretty much stayed home. I keep up on the news and it made sense to protect myself no matter what the government says. I'm not secure in thinking my best interest is much of their concern.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-03-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I know some people object to liquor stores being deemed essential (I don’t mean to imply that you object, Dru; but I’ve heard a few comments from friends in recent weeks). And I can say that, for me, they aren’t anywhere close to essential. But having witnessed a few alcohol withdrawal seizures when I was working with addicted folks, I can say that there is wisdom in preserving access to alcohol for some who would otherwise end up in the emergency room.
Yes, that's why the liquor stores are still open because we don't want people in the hospital due to alcohol withdrawals because there won't be room. I agree to keep them open. It's not the time for prohibition.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Yes, that's why the liquor stores are still open because we don't want people in the hospital due to alcohol withdrawals because there won't be room. I agree to keep them open. It's not the time for prohibition.
Plus, stuck in the house with the family for days/weeks at a time? Alcohol IS essential!
Old 04-03-2020, 03:56 PM

Thank you for editing the thread title.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:57 PM

.....Especially for those of us who have been doing this for weeks.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Here in Iowa we are not under stay at home orders....
The mayors of several counties in Utah have ordered stay at home, but the governor hasn't done so for the state yet. I think this has got to change if we don't want the infection and death rates to continue their exponential rise.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-03-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Yes DTs or "Delerium Tremens" is no joke...

Maybe not as much in Canada, but closing the liquor stores in the USA would lead to massive break- ins of them.I think the authorities know this.

Also they are part of the millions of small businesses.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You haven't been staying at home before today, though?
You've got a keen eye for the obvious.

No, I haven't, but my travels have been in line with what's permissible (grocery store runs, banking, etc)...
Old 04-03-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
To the OP...
Maybe it’s because you’re part of the media, but house arrest in Florida is when a person is sentenced to home confinement. House arrest is also referred to as community control in the state of Florida. The punishment is an alternative to a prison sentence.
This is what’s really going on: https://www.newsweek.com/florida-shu...avirus-1495712
I realize that "Stay at Home - Day 1" wouldn’t sound as sensational, and be less attention grabbing, but that’s what’s true.
Also YMMV...
Oh, for the love of God.

I know exactly what "house arrest" is.

In the future I'll endeavor to not inject any amount of levity or sarcasm in anything I post.

Geez...
Old 04-03-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Maybe it's time to switch to decaf...
No kidding...
Old 04-03-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

That's enough.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic