The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-23-2020, 03:25 PM

Default Saddle Leaning Forward

All--

I recently was given an older (I think 2004) Fender DG-16-E. Before I really had much chance to play it, I noted it had a cracked bridge (which I repaired) and a chewed up bridge plate (which I sanded down and then installed a brass bridge plate in order to fix it). I restrung it, tuned it up and immediately noticed the saddle was leaning forward under string tension.

I loosened the strings to take pressure off of the forward/top of the bridge and to investigate. It looks like the saddle is a bit too narrow for the bridge slot (it easily falls out when the guitar is unstrung and turned upside down). It's also possible the saddle sits up a bit too high (being an acoustic-electric, it sits on a pickup).

My question: Do any of you have thoughts on whether or not I should purchase a new, wider saddle and custom fit it to the bridge slot? Would that take care of the forward lean? Would it also help to sand the bottom of the new saddle down a bit so it sits deeper in the bridge?

While I have played for years, I've never tried to "repair" any of th guitars I've owned. Since this is not a very expensive guitar, my fear of making an error is pretty low--I've never spent a lot of time on a 12-string and my hope is this will be serviceable enough for me to see if a "better" 12-string is in my future!

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Old 03-23-2020, 03:36 PM

You've done some good repairs there - fitting a new thicker saddle should be a pretty easy thing to try.

I've used these 7-string bone blanks ( the 2 pictured on top) I bought on ebay to make my own saddles .. they are 3mm thick.

Here's the link, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/One-Piec...h/401412427655

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-23-2020, 03:44 PM

Gfzen, I had the same problem with the used Eastman E1SS-LTD-CLA I bought last year. With my guitar the problem was caused by the thickness of the cheapo coaxial cable Fishman undersaddle pickup it had. When I yanked out the pickup I had to replace the existing saddle with a taller one, but it solved the problem of the saddle leaning forward.

Of course, since I can’t get your guitar on the bench I can’t tell if it has the same root cause of the problem, but it’s definitely a possibility.

By the way, I replaced the Fishman pickup with a K&K bridgeplate pickup and it sounds MUCH better. So that’s something that you might want to consider doing, as well.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-23-2020, 04:24 PM

A new, thicker saddle will solve your problem. Finding one the correct thickness will be your challenge. Sanding down the bottom will lower your string height (action), which may or may not be a desired outcome. It will do little, if anything, to correct the tilting.

In a pinch, you could build up the thickness of the saddle by applying a coating of superglue on one side. Make sure it dries completely before fitting it into the slot. Apply additional coats and sand level until the saddle fits snugly.

The primary negative symptom of a forward tilting saddle is that it affects your intonation. It also may put undue stress on the walls of the saddle slot, and of course, it looks goofy.

Last edited by stormin1155; 03-23-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
A new, thicker saddle will solve your problem.
Stormin, it’s not necessarily the thickness of the saddle that’s the issue, that’s what I was trying to get across in my previous post. I also thought that the saddle in my Eastman was too thin, but once I removed the pickup I saw that the saddle was the correct thickness, it just didn’t have enough room in the saddle slot to stand fully upright. Once the pickup was removed the saddle filled up the slot correctly, but it was no longer tall enough and had to be replaced.

I mean, you might be completely correct and all that the guitar needs is a thicker saddle. But it could also be the same situation I had.

Either way he’s probably going to need a new saddle, but let’s not jump to conclusions about the direct cause of the problem until the OP can delve a little more deeply into it.

whm
Old 03-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

Since saddles are so inexpensive, I’m going to get a slightly thicker one and sand it down so it fits tighter in the bridge slot. I’ll keep the height the same (I appreciate the reminder about intonation!)—

I will check back here after this next step and let you know what I find. It’s possible I’ll ditch the current under saddle pickup for something more discreet.

Thank you all again...

If anyone has other thoughts on how to address this I’m all ears.

One last thing, I know I’ll never become a “real” guitar repairer, but it’s been fun to get my hands a little dusty (sanding) and sticky (gluing) on this old 12...
Old 03-23-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Both the factory plastic saddle and a bone saddle I bought on line are a loose fit in the bridge lot of my Yamaha AC1R. I just put a narrow strip of masking tape on one side of it and put it back in and it sits OK.

The purist in me says there's some vibration dampening as a result, and adding thickness with something hard like super glue is preferable. The ears on me say "We can't tell." But I am open to opinions, and looking for little projects like these nowadays.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:13 PM

I’ve thought about doing the “plastic card” trick or building up the saddle’s surface with Super Glue—I am certainly not a thinking there will be a major tonal difference if I spring for a new, thicker saddle.

I think I’m really enjoying trying to get this old guitar into decent playing shape while learning/trying stuff I’ve never done before.

Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated!
Old 03-23-2020, 10:21 PM

Wade Hampton—

I’ve always been interested in a K&K...

Do you think having a brass bridge plate would cause difficulties with tone if I installed one of those?

I’m very curious...
Old 03-26-2020, 01:56 AM

Default Brass is heavy...

...slightly denser than steel, and not a good bridge plate material in my opinion. It will add weight to an area of the instrument you probably don’t want to be adding weight to.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:10 AM

I appreciate all responses.

I contacted Bob Colosi and he’s making a slightly wider bone saddle for me.

I don’t know if it will fix the problem—hopefully it will.

I’ll let you all know!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair