The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 01:38 PM

My daughter plays guitar and is getting quite good. She also plays piano, ukelele, and sings. My son, who plays viola, showed some interest but he didn't stick with it. My younger son plays clarinet and piano and has show zero interest in guitar.

They are all learning instruments and enjoy making music, so I can't complain! It makes me proud to see them perform and on occasion perform with them.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:56 PM

I come from a long line-on both my parents side-of musical people. I am passionate about music and, of course, guitar. However, neither of my sons inherited any talent for it to my dismay. I do have a 9 year old grandson that has expressed a little interest. I let him borrow my Taylor GS Mini and he took lessons for 2 months and then quit. Blah!! My dilemma, the older I get, is what to do with my guitars. I would just give them to one of the kids or grandkids if they would get serious about it. It is just in my personality to get attached to things and romanticize their existence, and my guitars are no different so I would have the hardest time just selling them to perfect strangers as if they were cattle. I know, I know they're just guitars but I'm emotional about them. They're part of the family. Especially the Martin D-35 I bought with my own hard earned money when I was 14. Anyway, what to do, what to do. . .
Old 02-19-2020, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

me... me... send me the D-35

-Mike
Old 02-20-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
You sound like my dad! He always tells the bar owner that he plays for free, you just have to pay for load in/load out. So you get a discount for multiple nights. I've only been able to do that a few times in my gigging career. I was more worried about my gear disappearing in the time between gigs.
A trombone/accordion duo were hired to play at a seniors' residence New Year's Eve party. At the end of the night, the manager said, "That went over pretty well. Do you think you'll be able to play next New Years?"
The accordion player said, "Sure. Can we leave our gear here?"
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 02-20-2020, 12:32 PM

In my immediate family only my brother played guitar (but only for few years, and he was rudimentary at best playingwise, since he only played sporadically), and he hasn't done so in decades.

In my extended family:

Grandpa - played guitar in dance bands, until at least the 1950s, and was a luthier. He repaired acoustics and archtops, and made acoustic guitars. He made me my first guitar, when I was 6 years old (though I didn't get serious about guitar playing until I was 15).

My Uncle (my dad's youngest brother) - he played for a long time (and grandpa the luthier, even insisted that he take classical guitar lessons, when he was young). Like me, my uncle used to play guitar in bands. He doesn't play much if at all anymore, due his business (he does multi-media training) taking up most of his time. The fact that I recently saw a YouTube video of my cousin (his youngest son) playing my uncle's 70s era Ibanez NW40 (complete with a maple fingerboard!), that my uncle had played since he was in the Air Force in the 70s, pretty much tells me my Uncle has quit playing.

My Cousin - my uncle the guitar player, taught both of his sons how to play guitar. His youngest son is the only one playing at the present time. He's kind of a coffeehouse chord chunker (chinga chinga chinga). He's full of himself - I'm not impressed (I think I play better than my cousin even on a bad day )

My Smile Makers:

Taylor 150e 12-string
Eastman E2OM-CD
Waterloo WL12-MH
Heritage H-535
Fender Vintera 50s Telecaster

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 02-20-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Other than a cousin early on, sadly no. In fact there’s still a sense that my siblings think I’ve never grown up and still play with my toys.

Chris Stern

36 guitars (no wife!)

Bown 6/Wingert 2/Kinscherff 4/Sobell 1/Olson 2/Ryan 1/Fay 1/Froggy 2/Santa Cruz 1/Fairbanks 1/Franklin 1/Collings 3/ Martin 6/ Northworthy 1/Pre-War Guitar Co 1/Taylor 1/PRS 1/ Höfner Violin Bass (1963) 1

10 Banjos
3 Mandolins
2 Dulcimers
Walkabout Dulcimer
Mandocello
Cittern
Electric Uke

Anyone know a psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

Last edited by Yrksman; 02-21-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 AM

Default Does anyone else in your family share your enthusiasm for guitars?

Yes my wife she's bought most of my guitars for me
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 02-21-2020, 11:18 AM

As for guitar, my youngest daughter is very good. I'm a Taylor fan, and she prefers Martin, but that's ok. She is very creative and a good song writer. My oldest daughter can strum some chords, and my son-in-law is learning guitar (in a guitar class I teach at church) and is a phenomenal piano/keyboard player.
Outside of guitar, my son plays bass. My wife is a music major, and also a really good pianist and vocalist. She can strum some chords on a guitar and is currently learning to play mandolin.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:29 PM

No one in my immediate family. One cousin and one aunt.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:02 PM

No. My older son plays violin and mandolin and my younger son plays guitar. They love music and can play pretty well. The instruments they have I selected and bought many years ago. Neither have ever set foot in a musical instrument store or perused online sellers. I visit the local stores about twice a year for curiosity and to pick up strings.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Wow that has to be so hard.

I am sorry for your loss. I will cherish the time I get to spend teaching my kids guitar. They might just quit when they move out of this house but at least I'll have had that time with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi tp

Almost. We lost a son to cancer about a dozen years back and we shared the passion for things-with-strings.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi tp

Almost. We lost a son to cancer about a dozen years back and we shared the passion for things-with-strings.

Very sorry to read this Larry. I lost a son a few years ago. Wrong order of things and performing at my child’s funeral was never on my to do list.

Chris Stern

36 guitars (no wife!)

Bown 6/Wingert 2/Kinscherff 4/Sobell 1/Olson 2/Ryan 1/Fay 1/Froggy 2/Santa Cruz 1/Fairbanks 1/Franklin 1/Collings 3/ Martin 6/ Northworthy 1/Pre-War Guitar Co 1/Taylor 1/PRS 1/ Höfner Violin Bass (1963) 1

10 Banjos
3 Mandolins
2 Dulcimers
Walkabout Dulcimer
Mandocello
Cittern
Electric Uke

Anyone know a psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

Last edited by Yrksman; 02-21-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
...In fact there’s still a sense that my siblings think I’ve never grown up and still play with my toys.
And this is a bad thing why?

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:00 PM

My brother has a trio that plays out. He has probably eight guitars between electrics and acoustics, along with the family mandolin (probably been in the family since 1919) and a couple of bass guitars.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:09 PM

My wife. She always comes with me to guitar shops and understands my passion. She won't let me sell my National because she's in love with it. But she hates what I play... Go figure.
Waterloo WL-14L
National NRP 12 Fret Wood Body
Deering Solana 6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion