The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-04-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Default So how are you recording now?

I have to sneak recordings in between my wife's tv shows, phone calls and conversations and my grandson's online Call of Duty battles with his friends. I don't have a quiet spot in the house. I do have a garage though, but the weather isn't that great right now - too damp. How are you managing, if doing anything?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-04-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have to sneak recordings in between my wife's tv shows, phone calls and conversations and my grandson's online Call of Duty battles with his friends. I don't have a quiet spot in the house. I do have a garage though, but the weather isn't that great right now - too damp. How are you managing, if doing anything?
Mics are always best, but sometimes you gotta compromise. A K&K Pure Mini into your input will eliminate that annoying background noise problem. A good set of headphones helps, too.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:17 AM

It's been a challenge for my project which has been very aggressive in it's release cycle and currently I'm sheltering in place.

First issue and the biggest: it's harder to concentrate on all parts of the process what with the current crisis which occupies part of the mental cycles I would devote to my project, and then having more people around (as much as love them, indeed, because...) adds to that reallocation of time and unpredictable focus shifts.

But getting down to the nitty gritty of recording, I can often get by recording vocals in relatively quieter times and then using dynamic mics rather than more sensitive condensers. My current favorite for this is an EV RE20 which allows me to close mic my voice without much proximity effect.

Acoustic guitar is tougher, if only because I still often put a condenser on it out of habit. I should probably use my iRig Acoustic Stage clip in soundhole mic more, though it will pickup sounds that make it into the room too.

This month I recorded a new piece and decided to break out my biscuit resonator and record a fairly busy part I'd composed. That'll fix mic bleed, because it's so loud that any other sound in the house other than an SUV crashing into the wall will be masked! Of course that means that family got to hear all three takes as I tried to get a good'un, and normally I might have done a couple more trying for a better take, but I deferred.

Which brings up another issue, listening to someone recording can be nearly as annoying to others as listening to someone practicing.

I think I may be working more "in the box" with electric guitar, guitar midi pickup, and my little plastic keyboard for the duration.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-04-2020, 09:17 AM
Guest 33123

Recording is on hold for the most part but I've already slowed down on that front anyway.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-04-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:21 AM

AKG Perception 200 condenser into a Focusrite 2i2 3 gen. into my computer/Daw
I use one mic to catch everything...I went through several before I found this Discontinued AKG 200 that records me and my guitar at a pretty good equal level.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 AM

Playing a lot. Recording not at all. Not entirely a bad thing, though.

Couch Standards
Old 04-04-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I built a 2nd level above a 3-car garage, so I have a very nice, finished, heated room that serves as a studio, office, workout area, and home theater. I also put in a bathroom up there. And, the garage is separate from the house. So this is good for recording.

I am doing a fair amount of recording and using my studio during this time of isolation because I have been helping some organizations with communication. It has been very rewarding, but I am finding myself spending 8-10 hours a day up there because there is so much to do.

I record predominantly on my computer with Steinberg Cubase.

I haven't tried to record in my house for the last 30 years. It's too disruptive for everyone.

- Glenn
Old 04-04-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Luckily my cats do not make much noise.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 04-05-2020, 04:58 AM

I gutted my living room and set up a recording sound and video stage...

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 04-05-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

After a couple months out in our motorhome, we are back in our house now. Three days. During a quiet time, I was able to record an acoustic guitar and a vocal track. I got a new sE mic that I was anxious to try out. After that, the typical "home noise" of the washer/dryer, ceiling fan, air conditioning, wife's sewing machine, etc didn't matter when I did a bass and electronic drum tracks.

While we were out, I was able to play and record with my music partner at his house. It was a treat to be playing together again. Generally, when we're out traveling, recording gets put on hold.

Nothing normal about the current situation, but with the stay-at-home orders, I'll have more guitar time.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

So far I've been using my Zoom H5, up very close with the input gain on 3! When I bring the recording into my DAW I jump the gain up first thing and then begin whatever editing and eq'ing has to be done.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-05-2020, 10:55 AM

When i record, I'll re-set our dining room (high ceilings/wood floors, older home)with mics, mic pre, Zoom and portable broad base panels and leave things for a week or so, maybe longer until I'm finished with what I've prepped for. The usual applies.....recording later at night, turn down the thermostat so the boiler won't go on, shut the fridge off, move that little clock in the dining with it's annoying "tick" that sound like world war 3 in my headphones. . You know, just the usual stuff! LOL!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD