The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-03-2020, 02:34 PM

Default Zoom R8 -- can't get my L-R panning to work!

Update: Problem solved.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 04-09-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I'm baffled by this -- I've gotten back to using my R8 recorder now with the stay-at-home order and have successfully and easily used the track "pan" feature many times before. I just recorded some new tracks and all I get is an apparently mono signal, in the center. It's all there -- on both sides, L and R, of the mix, if I have the track panned all the way L or R. But when it's panned to the center, the signal is almost inaudible. Just don't get this -- I've used this super-simple feature many times before. Any ideas??? THX in advance....
Sure.

When you select the Pan / EQ for an individual track the last thing in the menu list is "Invert". You have one of your stereo pairs inverted, meaning that if the source file is the same or similar they will cancel each other out when panned to the center.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Sure.

When you select the Pan / EQ for an individual track the last thing in the menu list is "Invert". You have one of your stereo pairs inverted, meaning that if the source file is the same or similar they will cancel each other out when panned to the center.
I’ll definitely check that out and report back. Although this condition is happening on every track... but I’ll check it out. I guess I want to UN-invert, right? Thanks!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-04-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I’ll definitely check that out and report back. Although this condition is happening on every track... but I’ll check it out. I guess I want to UN-invert, right? Thanks!
The "R" series are great recorders but they do have some "quirks" that aren't immediately apparent to users. Most of these are greatly advantageous when you realize what is happening.

Do realize that if you start a new project your track settings, levels, etc. all follow into the new project. I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts about the track level sliders "not working" from users who had mix levels set and started a new project, importing the mix levels to the new project. The levels have to be MANUALLY passed beyond the recorded levels, even though the physical fader position isn't anywhere near that position.

That's just one example of how a user can become confused about track settings.

What every user should do is make a TEMPLATE project that has all of the settings that you would want to start a project with. That would include 0 dbm levels on all tracks, center pans, and preferred project bit rate, etc. It's dead easy to load the TEMPLATE and then add a new project so it starts with everything at "square one" and no surprises.

If you end up not knowing what's going on I'd recommend wiping your projects and starting with the stock settings. Set up your initial project preferences and save a new TEMPLATE file. You'll never get lost again!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
The "R" series are great recorders but they do have some "quirks" that aren't immediately apparent to users. Most of these are greatly advantageous when you realize what is happening.
Do realize that if you start a new project your track settings, levels, etc. all follow into the new project. I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts about the track level sliders "not working" from users who had mix levels set and started a new project, importing the mix levels to the new project. The levels have to be MANUALLY passed beyond the recorded levels, even though the physical fader position isn't anywhere near that position.
That's just one example of how a user can become confused about track settings.
What every user should do is make a TEMPLATE project that has all of the settings that you would want to start a project with. That would include 0 dbm levels on all tracks, center pans, and preferred project bit rate, etc. It's dead easy to load the TEMPLATE and then add a new project so it starts with everything at "square one" and no surprises.
If you end up not knowing what's going on I'd recommend wiping your projects and starting with the stock settings. Set up your initial project preferences and save a new TEMPLATE file. You'll never get lost again!
Great info there, Rudy; thanks. I’m thinking that’s not relevant to my situation, only because I’ve used this unit many times and not really had it be a problem, and never recall having issues with a new project left over from a previous — probably because I get in there and mess with the settings anyway. I do get the concept though.

I did check the track settings as you mentioned earlier and Invert was off, as was the stereo setting above it. I don’t know if that sheds any light on this or not. I’m still working on it all but if anything else occurs to you, I’m all ears...

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-04-2020, 10:55 PM

Well this is slightly embarrassing but it’s understandable. Turns out something in my headphone input is screwed up — either the jack itself or the 1/4” adapter for my headphones. I have two identical mini-plug headphone sets and four different adapters. One adapter works significantly better than the others but even it has to be handled with a very delicate touch to get the connections right so that I can indeed hear the L and R panning function properly. I’m not sure I know what to do about this — I either need some new kind of better adapter, a new set of headphones that doesn’t need an adapter, or to have the input jack repaired. This is surprising to me because I haven’t used the unit a whole lot and I’m pretty gentle with plugging things in/out. But it’s the kind of issue where you only get the proper full signal, able to hear the panning in the L and R channels properly, when you put some sideways pressure on the headphone plug-in. Obviously not an optimal situation in the audio/recording world. There might not be an easy remedy for this, I suppose. Although I guess, if it’s just a headphone issue, it won’t really affect my recording, and it probably won’t be an issue tomorrow when I monitor my recordings through my monitor speakers instead of the headphones. It would sure be nice to still be able to use my headphones though! Thoughts from any veterans out there? Thanks!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-05-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Well this is slightly embarrassing but it’s understandable. Turns out something in my headphone input is screwed up — either the jack itself or the 1/4” adapter for my headphones. I have two identical mini-plug headphone sets and four different adapters. One adapter works significantly better than the others but even it has to be handled with a very delicate touch to get the connections right so that I can indeed hear the L and R panning function properly. I’m not sure I know what to do about this — I either need some new kind of better adapter, a new set of headphones that doesn’t need an adapter, or to have the input jack repaired. This is surprising to me because I haven’t used the unit a whole lot and I’m pretty gentle with plugging things in/out. But it’s the kind of issue where you only get the proper full signal, able to hear the panning in the L and R channels properly, when you put some sideways pressure on the headphone plug-in. Obviously not an optimal situation in the audio/recording world. There might not be an easy remedy for this, I suppose. Although I guess, if it’s just a headphone issue, it won’t really affect my recording, and it probably won’t be an issue tomorrow when I monitor my recordings through my monitor speakers instead of the headphones. It would sure be nice to still be able to use my headphones though! Thoughts from any veterans out there? Thanks!
Glad to hear you at least know what the problem is caused from. If you can isolate the problem to the headphone output jack and if you purchased from Sweetwater then it's important to contact them if you've had the R8 less than 2 years.

My R24 developed the dreaded "high frequency noise when phantom power is used" that sometimes occured with the R24s that were sold for the first few years. Mine was less than 2 years old and Sweetwater sent the machine to Zoom's repair facility for repair at no cost to me. Their free 1 year extension to the factory warranty kept me from having to pitch an otherwise very nice recorder.

It's one of the reasons I look to them when considering a bigger ticket item.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear you at least know what the problem is caused from. If you can isolate the problem to the headphone output jack and if you purchased from Sweetwater then it's important to contact them if you've had the R8 less than 2 years. My R24 developed the dreaded "high frequency noise when phantom power is used" that sometimes occured with the R24s that were sold for the first few years. Mine was less than 2 years old and Sweetwater sent the machine to Zoom's repair facility for repair at no cost to me. Their free 1 year extension to the factory warranty kept me from having to pitch an otherwise very nice recorder. It's one of the reasons I look to them when considering a bigger ticket item.
Right there with you — I’m a longtime Sweetwater fan but unfortunately I bought this unit three years, almost to the day, ago. Guess I might need to look into sending it to Zoom for repair. Or maybe a local repair, since it’s not going void the warranty doing so!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD