The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-02-2020, 06:23 AM

how bout, almost having your house burn down?

yea,, that's what happened to us.. last Friday morning, we're living with family right now.. great timing right?
Old 04-02-2020, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
how bout, almost having your house burn down?

yea,, that's what happened to us.. last Friday morning, we're living with family right now.. great timing right?
Wow! So terribly sorry to hear. Hope/glad you and yours are safe...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-02-2020, 07:50 AM

Thank you RP.. and yes we are all safe, and the house was not a total loss, so indeed things could have been so worse. That it happens when all this stuff is in progress is just crazy.

I have to say, the folks from the local fire departments were amazing. They knocked the fire down in about 30 minutes, then stayed all night making sure it was out. Brave men and women, they were fearless in their duty.

Respect!

We'll be fine, have plenty of insurance to cover things, and the guitars all survived with out incident, as did all most all the kitchen appliances, and most of our belongings, fire was on the second floor which is pretty much devastated.

This too shall pass!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 AM

That's not good. Hope everything is resolved quickly and satisfactorily.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM
Musical minimalist

Sorry to hear that RMP - one of my biggest fears is to lose everything in a fire.

Glad you are all OK and most of your possessions made it.

I've revised my "strangest thing" from the other day.....

I'm sitting here facing having to apply for unemployment for the first time in my life. You work for almost 42 years and never take a penny from anyone.....feels VERY odd.

I was going to try to wait this out, but it's certainly going to go on for longer than any of us initially expected.

Not much choice in the matter.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Sorry to hear that RMP - one of my biggest fears is to lose everything in a fire.

Glad you are all OK and most of your possessions made it.

I've revised my "strangest thing" from the other day.....

I'm sitting here facing having to apply for unemployment for the first time in my life. You work for almost 42 years and never take a penny from anyone.....feels VERY odd.

I was going to try to wait this out, but it's certainly going to go on for longer than any of us initially expected.

Not much choice in the matter.
Oh man, so many people facing this now, thankfully, our jobs have not been heavily impacted... yet... I'm sorry to hear you have been impacted by this. Good luck.

anyway, it's always been a fear of ours too, and once it happens, it's crazy how fast things move.

but these are crazy days, so this is just another twist to deal with. This is a strong family, with lots of support, and we have lots of faith, we'll be fine.

But for all of us,, we gotta get thru this virus insanity, and we will. Be safe everyone.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Unfortunately, part of the 'new normal' is for some people not being able to visit family, especially if they're in a high risk group.
We've been retired a couple years so staying at home is not a big change...but staying at home all the time is a challenge.

My son & his wife live about five minutes from us...and they had a baby last May. Our first grandchild. He's starting to stand and will take his first steps soon. We're going to miss seeing all that. We used to watch him one day a week back when things were normal...
Old 04-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

This whole pandemic thing shows me how old and out of touch I've become. I went to refill my MIL's pill dispenser at her senior living center where they allow only visits for medical necessity. Signed in at the front desk, tossed the pen in the "used pens" basket and re-sanitized.

Front desk gal said she's required to take every visitor's temperature and went to get the thermometer. Fair enough.

Apparently they now have some newfangled digital device they just point at your forehead. So, needless to say, I was a little red-faced when she came back with the gadget, and I was standing there with my drawers around my ankles. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
We've been retired a couple years so staying at home is not a big change...but staying at home all the time is a challenge.

My son & his wife live about five minutes from us...and they had a baby last May. Our first grandchild. He's starting to stand and will take his first steps soon. We're going to miss seeing all that. We used to watch him one day a week back when things were normal...
That's gotta be hard on the heart. Do you do any video conferencing with your son and his family? Or Facetime?
Old 04-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

We are retired, and don't "have" to go out apart from food shopping and medical purposes.

I've had my quarterly cancer check cancelled, my dental check-up and my doctor's surgery is closed.

For an old guy with "underlying health issues" that's a bit of a wake up call. Also, they are (with great subtlety) saying that people over a certain age, are unlikely to be put on these rare ventilators of we get the virus ... Logan's Run!

We are allowed out "for exercise" once a day (who is counting?) but we are "not allowed" to drive, so I can go for a stroll around our city (parks closed) but not drive to the beach or the hills, woods etc., where people are far less concentrated.

I understand the necessity for disciplining our movements to restrict the spread of this terrible disease, but I'm concerned at establishing a precedence for authoritarianism.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I understand the necessity for disciplining our movements to restrict the spread of this terrible disease, but I'm concerned at establishing a precedence for authoritarianism.
I share the same concerns, Silly. I'm deeply concerned about the long-term implications of some of the measures we hope are temporary, but could easily stick around for much, much longer.

There's no such thing as a 'temporary toll'.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic