The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Removed Electronics Endpin replacement solution

Good Morning AGF- I completed the removal of electronics from a nice guitar and this was my puzzle to solve- how to get an endpin that fits the 12mm hole left from the jack?
I purchased a "noJack" endpin kit which is basically a 12.5mm sleeve that threads to the endpin from inside the guitar.
the 12.5mm sleeve didn't fit into my 12mm hole and could not be pressed in or pounded in with a mallet, so I gave up on trying to force it.

Also adding to the challenge is gaining access to the interior end of the endpin hole of a Jumbo- its a fair distance from the soundhole, and particularly hard for my fingers to be dexterous enough thread a screw, so I gave up on that as well.

The best part about the No-Jack product is that the endpin is threaded on the inside, and comes with a screw.
Based on the fact that my endpin on my Martin guitar will pop out if you want, and are not permanently attached, I thought how do I achieve a snug fit in the absence of a 12mm end pin (which I could only find at one supplier, outside the States and would not get until mid-April, which is too long to go without a strap for me.)

So In the end, I threaded the screw into the endpin, and made a spool of sorts. Then I tied some cooking twine, and wound it tightly until it was about 12MM thick, I dropped some candle wax on the threaded spool to inhibit fraying.
It turned out perfectly, fits more snug than the original endpin on my Martin.

The over all process cost me a set of strings because I removed them to get the electronics out, and I discarded the Pickup system as I destroyed it un-necessarily during removal. The project took about 1.5 hour including the restring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1E802439-0280-4E2B-AB02-E501A3225A30.jpg (25.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg E46F5AE4-D53A-4DF6-AA0B-B1973D996C74.jpg (19.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 67E9D519-4468-450D-A545-A603E9DC781D.jpg (20.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 03-09-2020, 01:53 PM

Why not enlarge hole using 1/2" dia drill bit? Can't the NoJak pieces be loosely assembled before insertion? Tighten after insertion.

Or borrow someone's thinner arm.

Edit:
I just watched the video. Erlewine installed one in 30 seconds.https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...ak_Endpin.html

Last edited by JonWint; 03-09-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Why not buy one of Bob Colosi’s ebony endpin plugs - easy and elegant.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/Plugs.asp

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-09-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Why not buy one of Bob Colosi’s ebony endpin plugs - easy and elegant.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/Plugs.asp
I would have liked this option- however, his measurements were all standard instead of metric, I already had an item miss by .5 mm- website has no way of ordering- he didn’t answer my call- his jack plug is 30 dollars. So I would like to ask Bob to remove some procurement barriers.

I didn’t want to remove any additional material from the jack tunnel-
Installation of the no-jack also introduces plastic into my otherwise plasticless instrument-
Old 03-15-2020, 06:27 PM

I’ve got one of these in the D2HT I recently purchased. Seems to work great, only it’s got an unsightly white threaded end pin. I did purchase an ivoroid endpin to match the bridge pins, and will need to have it threaded.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
I would have liked this option- however, his measurements were all standard instead of metric, I already had an item miss by .5 mm- website has no way of ordering- he didn’t answer my call- his jack plug is 30 dollars. So I would like to ask Bob to remove some procurement barriers.

I didn’t want to remove any additional material from the jack tunnel-
Installation of the no-jack also introduces plastic into my otherwise plasticless instrument-
Cliff, you could email him, and you can order by email (via the ‘email me’ link on Bob’s home-page), or by any of the methods on his ‘Pricing/Ordering’ page. I’m in England, UK, I’ve purchased items many times from Bob - some of them ‘custom-ordered’ - never had any kind of problem with communicating my requirements, I encountered no ‘procurement barriers’. I called or emailed, and everything I’ve bought from him was top-quality.

If you can measure the diameter of the end-block hole accurately, I’m confident he will be able to make a plug that will do the job - he generally leaves a thou or two of extra material on his products so that a very light sanding (or even better, a very gentle reaming) will give a perfect fit.

Regarding the call, did you try calling again? He might have been out of the workshop the first time, might have been on vacation, any number of reasons.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/pricing.asp

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 03-16-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:42 AM

I turn a mahogany dowel on the lathe. I also drill it 1/4" on the lathe so the hole is perfectly centered. I glue in the drilled plug, then ream it with a 5 degree reamer to accept a standard end pin.
I have never drilled a 1/2" hole for a jack, because most jacks are 15/32", and 1/32" of slop is IMHO unacceptably loose. By turning the plug in a lathe, I can fit it to the existing hole, no matter what size it may be.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Cliff, you could email him, and you can order by email (via the ‘email me’ link on Bob’s home-page), or by any of the methods on his ‘Pricing/Ordering’ page. I’m in England, UK, I’ve purchased items many times from Bob - some of them ‘custom-ordered’ - never had any kind of problem with communicating my requirements, I encountered no ‘procurement barriers’. I called or emailed, and everything I’ve bought from him was top-quality.

If you can measure the diameter of the end-block hole accurately, I’m confident he will be able to make a plug that will do the job - he generally leaves a thou or two of extra material on his products so that a very light sanding (or even better, a very gentle reaming) will give a perfect fit.

Regarding the call, did you try calling again? He might have been out of the workshop the first time, might have been on vacation, any number of reasons.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/pricing.asp

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
I did! Bob sorted me out- Lowden sells a 12.5 mm button and I made that fit and removed my temp job-
Thanks again for the info

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair