The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Compensated saddle for 12 string

I’ve been playing my Guild 12 string a bit more lately and have become more keenly aware of the “dance” between getting the strings tuned accurately using an electronic tuner versus tuning them so they “sound” right. I don’t know if it’s a factor, but I noticed that the saddle is not compensated at all.

Does anyone know of there are commercially available fully compensated saddles for 12 strings?

While we’re at it, does anyone know if there are available 12 string nuts that flip the pairs on the 4th 5th and 6th strings similarly to the Doyle Dykes model?
Old 03-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Most of the production 12s I see use narrow saddles that don't allow for the sort of compensation you need. For that you have to have a saddle that's at least 3/16" wide, and 1/4" is better. To really get the intonation right you also need to compensate the nut, which entails cutting 1/16" or more off the upper end of the fingerboard to allow for getting the low strings right. Properly done this can work really well. The first 12 I set up that way was within 3 cents for every note all the way up. The only 'trouble' with it was that it didn't have the usual 'crunchy' 12-string sound, since everything was in tune (or as close as possible given the realities of 12-tone Equal Temperament). I suppose if you wanted some crunch you could back off on the compensation...
Old 03-31-2020, 03:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
The only 'trouble' with it was that it didn't have the usual 'crunchy' 12-string sound
I love that description "crunchy", perfect! Thanks for that Alan.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Go to GuitarSaddles.com and talk to Bob Colosi-
I recently bought a Wave compensated bone saddle for my 12-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair