The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-15-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Resonator nut setup

Hi all,

I picked up a demo National 12 fret raw recently set up for dual use though I find the action a little high. When I cappo at 1, everything falls into place. Normally, I'd just adjust the slot depth but I'm thinking a better way to go might be to take a tiny bit of material off the nut bottom to get optimal (for me) string height for fingerstyle (and careful slide) but have the option to de-tune and add a small shim for better slide performance when the mood hits me.

I've never had an issue with a not glued in nut on an acoustic instrument. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-15-2022, 02:53 PM

Normally if I want to lower a nut, I remove and sand the bottom, that part works for me.

As for shimming it for occasional slide play, that seems like a bit of an annoyance and you run the risk of the nut sliding sideways although you could put some kind of pin under it to keep it centered. Next you have the problem of keeping the shim handy and unbroken, a piece of wood(?) 1/4x1 3/4x.020" is small and delicate. You might be better with a whole spare taller nut.

Are you playing bottleneck or lap style slide? For lap style there are extension nuts that fit over top of your permanent nut.

Personally, I would either get used to one setup for both uses, as many do,or consider this a valid reason to purchase another guitar.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2005 View Post
Hi all,

I picked up a demo National 12 fret raw recently set up for dual use though I find the action a little high. When I cappo at 1, everything falls into place. Normally, I'd just adjust the slot depth but I'm thinking a better way to go might be to take a tiny bit of material off the nut bottom to get optimal (for me) string height for fingerstyle (and careful slide) but have the option to de-tune and add a small shim for better slide performance when the mood hits me.

I've never had an issue with a not glued in nut on an acoustic instrument. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,

Jeff
I'd keep it the way it is, capo at the first fret and detune a half step to play as a normal guitar.

Shaving the bottom of a nut is very difficult to do and get right, plus nuts often shift sideways in the nut pocket if the break angle over the nut is on the low side, which many are. There's a reason why luthiers spend all that money on nut files, it's not that they simply need another tax write off.

If you really want to do the swap out for different styles of play then set your present nut up correctly and make a new taller nut for your slide playing sessions.

You might still have problems with the nut shifting sideways in the slot, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair