The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-11-2022, 05:55 AM

Default Tailpiece lifting off DOT

I noticed the tailpiece on my Epiphone DOT has lifted a bit off the top. I sent a photo to a luthier who has worked on one other guitars. He said it's nothing to be concerned about. I'm not sure. So I'm looking for a second (or third, or forth, etc.) opinion.

I'm not familiar with how to insert a photo. Here is a link to a photo in my Google account.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JBK882BiYJH3DNRw8

Old 06-11-2022, 06:48 AM

He's probably right it's no big deal. The hole may have been drilled a tad too big. You could take the tailpiece off, pull the bushing and try to get it back in there straight and snug. Maybe add a toothpick or two if necessary. That's probably what I would do because looking at that would bother me.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchord View Post
... looking at that would bother me.
It bothers me. Are these things just press fitted in? No nut underneath? It doesn't look like much wood to counter all the string tension pulling it.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleMe View Post
It bothers me. Are these things just press fitted in? No nut underneath? It doesn't look like much wood to counter all the string tension pulling it.
Yes, they're press fit.

If it were me, I would pull it out, stick a couple toothpicks in and re-press it.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:37 PM

They are a taper fit, similar idea to a tailstock on a lathe. These have splines to help.

It might just need to be tapped back in with a mallet but If the hole is a little loose, you can build it up with a couple layers of super glue, dry between then re-insert.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:15 PM

Interesting - build it up with layers of super glue. I guess that's to keep the wood from splintering.

I'll wait until I replace the strings. In the meantime, I'll have to remember to get some toothpicks. I have the super glue already.

Thanks all
Old 06-11-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Interesting - build it up with layers of super glue. I guess that's to keep the wood from splintering.

I'll wait until I replace the strings. In the meantime, I'll have to remember to get some toothpicks. I have the super glue already.

Thanks all
The super glue makes the hole slightly smaller and the wood firmer so your pin fits tighter. A couple thou is all you need.I use it on worn bridge pin holes. Sticking a tooth pick in the hole can tilt the pin to one side. It might still be fine or it might be worse than what you have now.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks all
The super glue makes the hole slightly smaller and the wood firmer so your pin fits tighter. A couple thou is all you need.I use it on worn bridge pin holes and banjo 5th peg holes. Sticking a tooth pick in the hole can tilt the pin to one side. It might still be fine or it might be worse than what you have now.

If your holes were seriously worn, the long term fix would be to drill them out round and insert a plug and re-drill so you are back to fresh wood.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:16 PM

Makes sense. Thanks,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair