The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-26-2022, 04:16 PM

Default First build

Hello,
Newbie working on my first build.
In the process of making my jigs now. Here is a photo of my plate joining jig, and the end result.
Sitka top and Sapele back. OM outline on joiner pic is not mine. Was there when I bought the wood.
Small Jumbo outline on second photo is mine.
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/39476934224894442
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/39476934224894446
Old 02-27-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

That sapele looks nice.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:40 AM

Giles,
I was where you are about a month and a half ago. I am putting on the finish now. I hope you enjoy your project. I just tried to do something everyday and let the glue dry overnight. I can’t wait to hear it for the first time. Glad you posted it.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Best wishes to both of you as you work on your first builds! I did my first guitar 42 years ago and have plugged along with one each year since then. It has been a challenge and a great blessing through the years. I look forward to seeing your finished guitars. Dave
Old 03-30-2022, 05:30 AM

Guitar build update:
Neck blank before glue: center strip of Maple, 2 strips of Canarywood, 2 strips of Santos Rosewood and Mahogany on the outside.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/39476934224991368/
Old 06-28-2022, 05:09 AM

Here are a few more pics:

glued neck blank
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/39476934225275687/

Canarywood rosette with Pau Ferro strips
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/39476934225275688/

rough sanded top with rosette
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/39476934225275689/

Stay tuned for more fun and sawdust!
Old 06-28-2022, 05:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats gilles on your first build. Nothing more rewarding to a guitar player, IMO.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Nice job with the wood selection and the work you've done so far.
Good luck with the rest of the build. Keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:06 PM

Default Response on First Build

That looks great. I am in the learning about building stage, have not started but have been watching videos, reading and learning since I have very little woodworking experience, although my grandmothers family built guitars/mandolins/violins and harps in Italy in the late 1800's and early 1900's so I felt like I wanted to give it a try and carry on the tradition. I plan to work out of my 2 car garage which may limit my year to May through September. One problem I discovered is that I may have a serious allergy to sawdust (I seem to have trouble breathing all night after being around it for any length of time.) I am going to try using a 3M respirator and filters to see if that alleviates the allergy problems otherwise I may not be able to continue. Before I start building up my tool collection, I figured I better test it out. I plan on doing some standard woodworking projects the rest of the summer, I.e. bookshelves and a workbench or two to get my feet wet so to speak. Wondered if anyone else has run across an allergy issue before?

Never use metronomes; they screw up my timing!
Old 06-28-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
That looks great. I am in the learning about building stage, have not started but have been watching videos, reading and learning since I have very little woodworking experience, although my grandmothers family built guitars/mandolins/violins and harps in Italy in the late 1800's and early 1900's so I felt like I wanted to give it a try and carry on the tradition. I plan to work out of my 2 car garage which may limit my year to May through September. One problem I discovered is that I may have a serious allergy to sawdust (I seem to have trouble breathing all night after being around it for any length of time.) I am going to try using a 3M respirator and filters to see if that alleviates the allergy problems otherwise I may not be able to continue. Before I start building up my tool collection, I figured I better test it out. I plan on doing some standard woodworking projects the rest of the summer, I.e. bookshelves and a workbench or two to get my feet wet so to speak. Wondered if anyone else has run across an allergy issue before?
Have you considered buying a kit where most of the cutting is done for you?

Also you can look up species of wood you're interested in on the wood database and see which ones are more prone to cause allergies.
https://www.wood-database.com/
Old 07-01-2022, 09:48 AM

Very nice. I like the joining jig. There are so many different ways to do it, but it's nice to see people being creative. Building jigs is almost as satisfying as the build itself IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair