The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2018, 07:21 PM

Default Blue Chip Pick Wear

Hi,

So! I recently purchased a BC TAD50 and have been playing with it around a week and a half. I noticed I have some significant scratches already and was wondering if anyone had insight on whether this is normal, its a matter of my picking style, or maybe an anomaly with the material? Probably hard to tell just from looking at the photo, but just thought I'd ask since there are so many who are knowledgeable here.

Thanks in advance!

Heres a photo of the scratches.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:32 PM

That pick looks pretty much like the ones I have- normal wear and tear.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
That pick looks pretty much like the ones I have- normal wear and tear.
Yeah.. They were purchased to be used so I don't mind but I hope they last! But if this kind of wear occurs in a week, I don't know how long they will... Haha
Old 05-06-2018, 11:51 PM

I used a CT-55 daily for about 6 years before I misplaced it somehow (still think it will turn up). It had no noticeable edge wear. Just to give a perspective - my guitar needed to be re-fretted before the pick showed any wear. It did have some scratches, but I always attributed those to being with my keys in my pocket before my lovely wife bought me a blue chip pick pouch. My impression is that the material in these picks really resists wear.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

The material in these picks is a DuPont thermoset polyimide used to replace heavy-duty industrial METAL bearings. Everything scratches, and you see the scratches more because BC does such a fabulous job in polishing them. Also, like a black car, a darker color makes scratches much more visible.

Trust me, you'll lose it before it wears out.

scott memmer
Old 05-07-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
The material in these picks is a DuPont thermoset polyimide used to replace heavy-duty industrial METAL bearings. Everything scratches, and you see the scratches more because BC does such a fabulous job in polishing them. Also, like a black car, a darker color makes scratches much more visible.

scott memmer
I use a bluechip, and I've heard this quote from many more accomplished serious players with many years under their belt.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:45 AM

My TD45 has very minimal wear. Only pick I will use these days!
Old 05-07-2018, 11:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
My TD45 has very minimal wear. Only pick I will use these days!
Yup, ditto. This stuff is incredibly tenacious. It is one of the most durable --maybe the MOST durable -- plastics in the history of mankind. It is extruded at over 1000 degrees F and officially has NO MELTING POINT.

Now, if you folks think BC is getting rich on these picks, think again. A sheet of this stuff measuring 10" x 10" x .25"? $1100. That's a real number folks. So do the math. And you don't get a discount unless your name is Boeing or Lockheed or Northrup.

In fact, Blue Chip is doing a great favor to every player out there. Thank you, Mr. Goins, for making world-class picks for the masses. It's so very cool.

scott memmer
Old 05-08-2018, 01:07 AM

I own several Blue Chip picks. I use the lightest pick they make, the TD-35. That’s about the only pick I use on mandolin, I prefer it on my baritone guitar, and use it about 50% of the time on regular guitar.

For more than thirty years prior to getting the Blue Chips I used celluloid picks exclusively for all the instruments I play, and mandolins in particular just EAT celluloid picks. It wasn’t uncommon for me to go through a celluloid pick in four or five mandolin tunes: those double string courses just chew up celluloid. The picks produce a very ragged tone once that happens.

I’ve been using these TD-35’s for about four years now, and all of their edges remain flawless and - for all intents and purposes - brand new.

So while they’re undeniably expensive, once you get them they’re maintenance- and worry-free. I never have to worry about accidentally using a roughened edge and getting a raggedy tone; the sound they produce is as smooth as they are.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-08-2018, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

scott memmer
Now you tell me ! I have no issues with my BC picks but I've just bought a black car (and scratched it slightly!)
Old 05-08-2018, 03:52 AM

5+ years on a pair of Blue Chip TP40 picks, no bevel from the factory or induced by playing. A pair of TP35 picks see limited use, and a pair of thumb picks get regular use. I guard these things with my life but most of my playing happens in the lesson studio so they don't generally go far. Other picks get some use, camping, cottaging, beach, back yard, and for that I generally use celluloid or ultex.

No wear. None. Though I do have a light picking style I still play a lot and would have gone through dozens of picks in the time I've owned the BCs. I don't think I ever had a 351 (teardrop shape) pick outlast a set of strings. The 3 corner BCs outlast dozens of string sets.

Crazy expensive? Yup. But they're virtually silent on the string, I don't hear the pick, just the string. No clickity-clack.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:11 AM

While being very wear-resistant, they do seem to scratch fairly easily. My guess is that either you have kept it in your pocket with something like keys or you picked it up off a table by sliding it to the edge instead of lifting it straight up (or otherwise slid it across a flat surface).
Old 05-08-2018, 08:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

This is such weird and wonderful material, with unusual -- even bizarre -- properties.

For instance, aside from all these things mentioned above -- its durability, unbreakableness and strength -- it actually sands quite easily, using wet-n-dry sandpaper in the 400-1000 grit range.

sm
Old 05-08-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
While being very wear-resistant, they do seem to scratch fairly easily. My guess is that either you have kept it in your pocket with something like keys or you picked it up off a table by sliding it to the edge instead of lifting it straight up (or otherwise slid it across a flat surface).
No actually... Other than when I play, it's kept in its bluechip pick pouch I ordered with it haha
Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 PM

I have applied for financing to buy one, but it hasn't come through yet. I think the bank is afraid I will lose it before I pay it off.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blue, chip, pick, wear