The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-28-2022, 05:15 PM

Default Songwriting workshop

There’s a songwriting workshop being held close to where I live tomorrow. Haven’t made my mind up whether to go yet - there’s also a folk session at the same time that I normally go to.

Just wondering if any of you have been to songwriting workshops and if they have been at all helpful to you?

Old 06-28-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

I have never been to one, but if you have time, why not? Anything you do to stretch out your abilities and to give you new tools to help you in the songwriting craft should be helpful.

A lot depends on the teacher; how good he or she is. I remember reading about someone's great experience at a songwriting workshop with Darrell Scott. I remember wishing I could have had that experience.

- Glenn
Old 06-28-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have never been to one, but if you have time, why not? Anything you do to stretch out your abilities and to give you new tools to help you in the songwriting craft should be helpful.

A lot depends on the teacher; how good he or she is. I remember reading about someone's great experience at a songwriting workshop with Darrell Scott. I remember wishing I could have had that experience.

- Glenn
You’re probably right Glenn - I’m just a little nervous about the prospect of trying to come up with something on the spot.

Old 06-28-2022, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

- Glenn
I agree. Why not?

Funny you mention Darrell Scott. I saw him in Kent, OH during some fairly crappy weather. Not many of us made the trip, so it was a very small, intimate crowd, with lots of interaction. More like a workshop than a concert. Quite a talented guy!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-28-2022, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

My understanding -- and perhaps my memory is wrong about this -- is that the above song, "The Guitar," was put together at a songwriting seminar at The Fur Peace Ranch.

Ah... I found this video...

I think it would have been cool to have been part of this songwriting experience. Of course, you can never know how your songwriting class will work out.

- Glenn
Old 06-28-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:

My understanding -- and perhaps my memory is wrong about this -- is that the above song, "The Guitar," was put together at a songwriting seminar at The Fur Peace Ranch.

Ah... I found this video...

I think it would have been cool to have been part of this songwriting experience. Of course, you can never know how your songwriting class will work out.

- Glenn
Cool song Glenn, thanks for posting.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:10 PM

Well, I went to the songwriting workshop and the venue was shut and nobody turned up, not a single soul. I double checked Facebook and no mention of it being cancelled. Guess I’ll need to keep songwriting on my own.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Well, I went to the songwriting workshop and the venue was shut and nobody turned up, not a single soul. I double checked Facebook and no mention of it being cancelled. Guess I’ll need to keep songwriting on my own.
Well, that's too bad... what a shame.

Keep your eyes open. One of these days there will be a workshop with someone really good that you will never forget. It will happen Neil!

- Glenn
Old 07-03-2022, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Try finding an on-line group. One of the biggest helps is finding a group of compatriots to share with. Some group with a "prompt" and a deadline gets you engaged in a project. Takes you out of your comfort/complaisant zone. Gives a raison d'etre.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:43 AM

Default workshop

I have really enjoyed being part of these online workshops. They are not focussed on critique. But rather on what works in your song.

http://www.mattmeighan.com/classes.php
Old 07-30-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is a shame I have been to several really good worthwhile songwriting workshops. But they were paid affairs , well organized with a limited number of participants and well known songwriters, so they were full up .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-30-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Some years ago, I spent a week with Darrell Scott, along with some others of course.
Can't say I learnt much about songwriting but I learnt a lot about the "business" - publishing rights shares of income etc.

Somewhere I have a copy of Darrel playing fills on one of my songs.

Truth is, I attended workshops at "sorefingers" for guitar (twice) Dobro, Mandilin (twice) as well as Darrell's week.

Great fun, great jams, and great American bluegrass musos (I had an evening meal with Ron Block) and jammed with John Paul Jones, renewed old friendships, and made many more,

....................... but can't say I learnt much.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
neil, in my humble opinion, your song writing is remarkable and outstanding! So, i'd say "You don' need no steenkin' workshop"!

On the other side, That song "The Guitar" is credited to Guy Clark (The "Songbuilder" "The Craftsman" and Verlon "Dam'" Thompson as Guy called him.

The comments about Fur Peace is true, but Guy often shared song credits with up and coming song writers, like Shawn Camp etc., to help them on their way.

If you were are sitting either side of a bottle with Guy and he says "what else ya got?" you were onto a winner!
Old 07-30-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
neil, in my humble opinion, your song writing is remarkable and outstanding! So, i'd say "You don' need no steenkin' workshop"!

On the other side, That song "The Guitar" is credited to Guy Clark (The "Songbuilder" "The Craftsman" and Verlon "Dam'" Thompson as Guy called him.

The comments about Fur Peace is true, but Guy often shared song credits with up and coming song writers, like Shawn Camp etc., to help them on their way.

If you were are sitting either side of a bottle with Guy and he says "what else ya got?" you were onto a winner!
Aww, thanks Andy. That means a lot to me.

I was keen on the workshop more for tactics for finding inspiration, which is something I struggle with, rather than songwriting method. On the other hand I do have good quality control I reckon - if I’m writing something and I begin to suspect it’s crap, I’ll scrap it without much hesitation. My second album is almost ready and I think it’s got some very good songs on it - hope you’ll give it a listen when I release it.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Been to Darrell Scott's as well. Great fun sitting at his feet. And I too had Darrell impromptu play along with one of my songs. I nearly choked and fell off the stage.

But I've had more success with songwriting groups of peers. Someone comes up with a prompt, and you have a week or two to come back to the group with a rough song. The group listens to everyone's song and offers constructive comments. After that you can take or leave the suggestions. You're on your own to finish the song. I've gotten most of my best material from those exercises. Old Town School in Chicago has some good sessions. There are some on-line or facebook groups that do something similar. It's a good kick-in-the-butt to get you going. It's not so much a class as a group of like minded souls sharing and encouraging each other.

PS - Maybe we should start one here?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write