The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg1996 View Post
Doesn't bother me much either... As long as there not problem in terms of functionality haha. I have no expertise in plastics whatsoever but do you think this means that blue chips are made of a mixed plastic?
Yes we make a simular product for a gas unit (central heating) and it is a hard material and does not wear in use
2010 Martin D41 special
2009 Mcilroy A56 Cocobolo
2017 Taylor GS mini Koa
Old 05-01-2018, 05:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default The Skinny on the Color of BC Picks

Folks, to give you the rundown on the different shades of brown used by Blue Chip and others.....

The brown stuff was first made by DuPont, about thirty years ago. It actually comes in about ten different shades, almost all dark gray or black. The one grade that is brown in the DuPont lineup is called SP-1. This is the first and original Vespel material. Over time the company has developed a whole Vespel family, each with slightly different formulations and additives, for specific applications or industries. Believe it or not, the brown is the CHEAPEST in the lineup. Gulp.

The brown grade is also known in the trade as "unfilled" or "virgin," meaning it has no additional additives. This is the one BC uses.

Okay, so the different shades of brown? DuPont licenses out their formulation to two other extruders in the world, both huge petro-chemical companies. In both cases the final product is a slightly lighter shade of brown, but it otherwise identical. These products go by the trade names of Plavis and Meldin. Perhaps part of DuPont's agreement with them was a slightly different coloration, to distinguish the two.

DuPont being DuPont, their products are always going to be the most expensive. Plavis and Meldin are slightly less costly. You cannot get a discount on Vespel unless your name begins with Boening or Northrup.

Hope this helps. I've done a ton of research in this area.

scott memmer
Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 PM

How do these picks wear? Do they wear down like others or are they fairly resistant to wear?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

This is one of the most durable plastics in the history of mankind. You will lose it before it breaks or wears.

Honest.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Okay, okay...someone's gotta let me in on the secret here. Expensive picks? Tell me more!

I just was poking around Blue Chip's website...speed bevel right, speed bevel left, round bevel, HUNDREDS of different styles. Had no clue there was even a pick industry!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
How do these picks wear? Do they wear down like others or are they fairly resistant to wear?
To explain a little further the plastics the majority of the plastics used by high end pick companies were developed to be made into bearings for industrial applications. As you can imagine a bearing needs to be very durable and wear resistant to function properly and reliably. So the picks made from these plastics are extremely durable and will not show wear.

This isn’t a sales pitch because durability is something that is standard across the board with all of us, but it’s his will give you an idea of what to expect. Normally I can completely wear out a 1.0 Primetone in two performances. I play really hard. I’ve been using the same BL1.2 for close to 50 shows now with no visible signs or wear. You’ll see the same results from Blue Chip or Charmed Life.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Folks, to give you the rundown on the different shades of brown used by Blue Chip and others.....

The brown stuff was first made by DuPont, about thirty years ago. It actually comes in about ten different shades, almost all dark gray or black. The one grade that is brown in the DuPont lineup is called SP-1. This is the first and original Vespel material. Over time the company has developed a whole Vespel family, each with slightly different formulations and additives, for specific applications or industries. Believe it or not, the brown is the CHEAPEST in the lineup. Gulp.

The brown grade is also known in the trade as "unfilled" or "virgin," meaning it has no additional additives. This is the one BC uses.

Okay, so the different shades of brown? DuPont licenses out their formulation to two other extruders in the world, both huge petro-chemical companies. In both cases the final product is a slightly lighter shade of brown, but it otherwise identical. These products go by the trade names of Plavis and Meldin. Perhaps part of DuPont's agreement with them was a slightly different coloration, to distinguish the two.

DuPont being DuPont, their products are always going to be the most expensive. Plavis and Meldin are slightly less costly. You cannot get a discount on Vespel unless your name begins with Boening or Northrup.

Hope this helps. I've done a ton of research in this area.

scott memmer
Thank you for this, this is extremely educational..

Ermm... I might have gotten this wrong. Forgive me if I did, but do you mean that blue chip may have used different 'brown grade' plastics as an explanation for the colour variation? For example, Plavis in one and vespel in the other?

Last edited by twg1996; 05-01-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for this, this is extremely educational..

Ermm... I might have gotten this wrong. Forgive me if I did, but do you mean that blue chip may have used different 'brown grade' plastics as an explanation for the colour variation? For example, Plavis in one and vespel in the other?
Hi again. I wouldn't know. It's equally possible that DuPont batches may vary somewhat in color.

The BC folks are wonderful people. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. They have fabulous customer service. I'd drop them a line if you had any questions.

Glad to help,
scott
Old 05-01-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Hi again. I wouldn't know. It's equally possible that DuPont batches may vary somewhat in color.

The BC folks are wonderful people. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. They have fabulous customer service. I'd drop them a line if you had any questions.

Glad to help,
scott
Thank you again! Here's a picture of the color difference.. It's quite significant. I'll definitely give bluechip a shout.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Not in your lifetime!
The speed bevel is preformed and it does not change.
Excellent picks, actually I'd say the "acme" of picks.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey guys, just got my shipment from Blue Chip picks. I got the TAD-50 and they sound amazing! They're warm but still retain sparkle and they just glide across the strings. Love em so far... This is my first step into boutique picks but I'm afraid they won't be my last. I've been mainly using Dunlop Jazztone and Primetone picks prior to these and will still probably keep them around and these are definitely my new main picks... Hopefully I don't lose them.

Just a question to those who own/seen multiple, are colour variations normal? Mine seem to be a little lighter than my friend's...
Ho congrats on your choice. My first blue chip (a TAD40 1r bought second hand) taught me two things ... that 346 triangle picks are superior to teardrops in almost every, no in every way.

I tried every 346 shape pick on the market before settling on BCs.

I use TAD50s on every guitar that uses medium strings - dreads, jumbo, and resonator. and TAD40s for every smaller guitar that takes light gauge strings.

My second favourite (or reserve) picks are Wegen TF140s which I actually prefer on my 12 strings as they have a little more instant "attack" (that initial "clack").

BC picks are excellently shaped and minimally but perfectly bevelled. The give a hint of initial attack and sound clean clear notes on all strings at all times, and are the "fastest" picks I've ever used, and no they do not wear.

Many people are concerned that they may lose BC picks like they do the 50 c/p picks. I'd say that knowing that you paid a significant amout will make you more careful, but my solution is to keep my valuable accessories (picks, tuner, capo, in a bright coloured tin box and each guitar has it's own - guitar comes out of box, so does box, sits on chair stool behind me when I perform, and the goes back in case along with guitar.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0692.jpg (43.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Ho congrats on your choice. My first blue chip (a TAD40 1r bought second hand) taught me two things ... that 346 triangle picks are superior to teardrops in almost every, no in every way.

I tried every 346 shape pick on the market before settling on BCs.

I use TAD50s on every guitar that uses medium strings - dreads, jumbo, and resonator. and TAD40s for every smaller guitar that takes light gauge strings.

My second favourite (or reserve) picks are Wegen TF140s which I actually prefer on my 12 strings as they have a little more instant "attack" (that initial "clack").

BC picks are excellently shaped and minimally but perfectly bevelled. The give a hint of initial attack and sound clean clear notes on all strings at all times, and are the "fastest" picks I've ever used, and no they do not wear.

Many people are concerned that they may lose BC picks like they do the 50 c/p picks. I'd say that knowing that you paid a significant amout will make you more careful, but my solution is to keep my valuable accessories (picks, tuner, capo, in a bright coloured tin box and each guitar has it's own - guitar comes out of box, so does box, sits on chair stool behind me when I perform, and the goes back in case along with guitar.

Enjoy.
Ive been enjoying my bluechip a lot for the last couple of days... Thanks, partially, to your video actually! It helped in the decision making process. I'm subscriber now looking forward to many more uploads in the future... Your videos are of very informative and entertaining. Really like your playing too haha.

Ill keep you advice in mind... Although I don't have the princess Mary box, I'll try to find something.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:04 AM

I just got one of the bluechip pick boxes with my latest TP60. Perfect to hold picks and not take up too much space in the case, considering all the other crap I keep in there (capos, extra humidipaks, etc.)
Old 05-02-2018, 11:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Not in your lifetime!
The speed bevel is preformed and it does not change.
Excellent picks, actually I'd say the "acme" of picks.
Ditto, Silly.

Funny, I posted above: You'll lose it before it wears out. As funny as that sounds, it's actually the truth. This material is extruded at over 1000 degrees F, under incredible pressure. It's one of the most durable plastics in the history of mankind. In fact, one of it's greatest advantages over genuine TS is not just its remarkable tone but that it won't crack, chip or warp, the way genuine TS will.

So yes, in all seriousness, if you're around my age, you'll displace it before you lose it.

BTW, Silly, love photos like the one above. I have always been insane about great accessories, so this brings me a lot of joy.

be well,
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blue, chip, pick, tad-50