The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 AM

I hear you. I just started with acoustic instrumental stuff so maybe I'll get good enough to play two melodies at the same time, eventually. Great observation though. I'll work on making the songs a bit more interesting with another melody.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Good morning Matt,

I agree with Ed.

Tapping seems to have crept into modern acoustical guitar music and lot guitarists include this device in their playing. I guess it has roots with Michael Hedges. Personally I think it gets in the way of the music.

I'm an old fashioned ABA form kinda guy. I try to create lyrical melodies as opposed to tunes which rely on intricate finger work (although some of what I compose can be difficult). When we compose we can only create what is inside of us. Trying to write music like someone else is a folly. Take a minute and listen to a tune I posted a couple of days ago on the forum titled "Sunday Afternoon".

Who's tune are better mine or yours? Our musical style is entirely different. It's as if we come from two different musical planets. We write what we hear. In my opinion there is no answer to this question. Just be true to yourself and keep on pluggin along. That's my approach.

max
Old 04-27-2014, 12:13 PM

Default New Instrumental Fingerstyle Songs...Need Some Feedback, Please

Good point Max. We do have different styles. However, I totally dig your song! Great melody and beautifully executed. Yes, I must admit that I love percussion. I never really got into acoustic until I began listening to Hedges, Phil Keaggy, Don Ross, Andy Mcee and Antoine Dufour. Perhaps I should have stated that up front. Keaggy uses tons of loops and the others are really percussion heavy. Maybe those guys sound like backing tracks to some but that music just speaks to my heart. Now, I'm in no way comparing my playing to them as I am nowhere near their ability level but I'm just saying I like that style and am influenced most by that. Anyway, Max, you are correct in saying that it's good to play what moves you. I just try to listen to an artist's music for what it is. In the end, I'm just glad ppl are listening. Again, great song Max!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. I also agree that the rhythm percission should be reduced but not taken completely out. Love the music! Great playing!

Todd
Old 04-27-2014, 03:32 PM

I listened on headphones...very nice playing! I have to echo other comments that the percussive elements are too loud and need to be lower in the mix. Thanks for sharing your music here!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 04-27-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariaS View Post
Hi, Matt! Nicely played, very interesting ideas and I really like the recording.
I can't say I don't like percussion, I just love guitar sound and percussion is a bit distracting, but when I think about composition, it certainly adds something.
Am I right to assume that percussion track is recorded separatedly from melody? Maybe you could just make it stand out less.
Can you tell more about recording and what equipment you use?
Thanks for the comments! I have taken the percussion down about 5 db so hopefully that will sound better. That's about as low as I am willing to go at least. I just really love percussive players. Anyway, I am tracking into my Avid Omni using PT HD, before that I use a Manley SLAM! for my pre. The mics are two sE RN17 mics. I do some processing on the back end with various plugins but I try to keep it simple.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
All three seem like backing tracks to me. I keep waiting for a lead guitar or voice to cut in and lead the way...and a bass line too. In other words, this is good material to solo over, but its too repetitious to be the main course.
After thinking a bit more about your comment, I am a bit confused. Could you please direct me to an example of what you are talking about? Perhaps a recording of your playing that would show me how to make my songs sound less like "backing tracks"? I teach guitar for a living so when I give my students a critique that is negative, I follow it up with an example from my own playing which illustrates what I am wanting them to aim for. All of the other critiques have given direction with exact changes I need to make to my songs. This is very helpful. Anyway, I always really appreciate a good lesson from someone who is more advanced and accomplished than I am. Goodness knows, there are many! Thanks for your response in advance!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Thanks for sharing and being open to feedback.

The playing sounds fine but there is a lot of emphasis on percussive elements. I would dump the monotonous percussion track, or at least lower the volume on it and vary it. I also suggest a greater emphasis on melodic line and more overall song structure development.
I agree. The playing is great but it may be the way the percussion is recorded. I wouldnt exactly drop it as I like it but the mic may be picking up on that a little to hot. Your guitar is coming out secondary to the percussion. So not a playing critique more just recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
acoustic, fingerstyle, instrumental, original, song