The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-15-2022, 02:52 PM

Default an ongoing attempt to play Shenandoah/Johnny Smith clean

Well, I've been plugging away at this and while my successive attempts will be understandably just shy of interest for most members here I'll post today's recording not least because it's a palindrome date - 2.20.2022 - as written in the US stylebook!
Perhaps the process is interesting for some. It's being played on my (Yellow) Furch OM, cedar top with rosewood back and sides. I'm at a stage where I can play through the first couple of verses with no glaring mistakes nine times from ten so I'm able to concentrate somewhat more on tone and dynamics although unsure how well they come across in the primitive recording. Next upload will be the finished article, I promise!

It's amazing what a few sleeps and a lot of practice can do. Here's my latest attempt to play this Johnny Smith version of Shenandoah. I've got the first two verses, which are really just variations on the same theme so that I can play them in a more relaxed way and where I can start to concentrate a bit more on the dynamics, something I trust will come in time! The third verse needs quite a bit more work. I've managed to get the first few bars (sort of) into my fingers although the chord changes are pretty clumsy still. The second half of this third verse I've simply repeated the second verse rather than play through the differences I've seen in other players choose. Getting the third verse will be the next thing I concentrate on. So the latest attempt is directly under this paragraph, the first attempt and original pre-amble is below that.

Here's a self-indulgent post to keep track of my efforts to play this gorgeous Johnny Smith version of this standard in a clean way but in a public forum. I'm happy enough with progress made on these first two verses having recorded it eight times this evening (!) although each is much of a muchness with various fluffs in different places and this here is as good as any. I'm working on the third verse which includes a nice descending bassline and more complex chords but only hint at this here .
I've been trying to copy a couple of performances I've found on YouTube by slowing the videos and aided by what seems a fairly accurate tab I found. I don't feel the need to play it exact but I do see it as an exercise in improving clean playing. I intend to add new attempts as I make some improvements. As I say, v indulgent. Hope you don't mind too much

Last edited by Alex&r; 02-20-2022 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added new video of latest attempt
Old 02-15-2022, 02:55 PM

You're doing great!

A Johnny Smith solo arrangement is a very high bar.

What's the guitar, by the way? Has that great acoustic archtop midrange.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-15-2022, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing. Perhaps a bit easier to play on an electric like the Smith recording I heard. Just a bit more tempo and legato.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-15-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
You're doing great!

A Johnny Smith solo arrangement is a very high bar.

What's the guitar, by the way? Has that great acoustic archtop midrange.
It's one of my dad's favourites so I'm hoping to get it performance ready for his 80th. It is challenging! I've only really got into listening to solo jazz guitar in the last few months but I'm entranced now and going on a real journey of discovery. It's an area I'd like to investigate in my playing.
The guitar is a flat top, my Furch OM but I've found myself playing this song exclusively with my thumb nail bar a few passing notes. Maybe this is contributing to the sound?
Old 02-15-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Thanks for sharing. Perhaps a bit easier to play on an electric like the Smith recording I heard. Just a bit more tempo and legato.
Thank you for the comment and for listening which is very appreciated. I've played this on my Tele/Deluxe Reverb combo but a couple of weeks ago when didn't have much of it in my fingers. I'm looking forward to trying it when I get the chance to plug in again, perhaps with a little 'vibrato' and mucho 'reverb' added.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:20 PM

It's sounding pretty good already. Looking forward to hearing your progress as you continue to work on this.

Nate
1966 Martin D-35
1972 Fender Telecaster
1976 Ryoji Matsuoka Classical No. 40
1975 Mitsuru Tamura, Model No. 1000
2013 Taylor 814c-N
1994 Heritage 576
2004 Heritage 575 Custom
2014 Godin Multiac Nylon Encore
2008 Larrivee D-03
2009 Takamine TC135Sc
YouTube
Old 02-19-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post
It's sounding pretty good already. Looking forward to hearing your progress as you continue to work on this.

Nate
Many thanks for the encouragement, Nate. I've added my latest attempt into the OP. It's getting to the stage where I can now start to work on the third verse and then concentrate a bit more on the dynamics.
Best, Alex
Old 02-19-2022, 11:20 AM

oops uploaded wrong vid, correct one now in OP.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:03 PM

Well I've just edited my latest attempt at this lovely arrangement by Johnny Smith into the OP. It's been great learning it and even if it's more designed for an electric guitar I think you can probably get away with playing it acoustic. If you fancy a listen it's the first vid in the OP now. I think the next upload after this will be the 'finished article! All the best, A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell