The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
Takes all kinds…. My ex-wife was mean as a snake! But her new husband seems content. Could have been me? Lots of different guitars and as many different players out there.
Close the thread: we have a winner!!
Old 09-26-2021, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I have auditioned guitars that were rejected after the first chord, although I usually suffer through about 15 seconds of torture. No sustain, no overtones, sounds like someone stored their socks in the sound hole.

I assume someone else came in the store and thought they were in heaven, as they don't stay there forever. Different ears, different wallets, different styles of music - but it is amazing on some level.
Yeah, this has always blown my mind. In one shop I frequent they had two J-45's hanging side by side, as can often be the case with Gibson, one sounded fantastic and the setup was good enough that I probably wouldnt have bothered changing anything if I had purchased it. The other was a total dog, muffled sounding with no sustain, setup was way too high... I'll be darned if that one didnt sell first! I just couldnt fathom anyone picking up those two guitars and deciding to purchase what to me obviously seemed like "The wrong one."
Old 09-26-2021, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

Hi, interesting thread, and it all boils down to "there's no accounting for taste"!

The OP mentioned two guitars which I have some experience with:

Martin 00028EC - I was in one of the best specialty guitar stores in my area looking for something very different and a young man was "test driving" a number of Martin OMs and 14 fret 000s.

He was a very nice player, and I wandered in to the Martin room to listen. When he went to that particular model I had to say that we were both very impressed - something different from the others. I hope he bought it -his playing deserved it!

Regarding National Tricones, my first one was a Style "0" deluxe brought to my door by a lovely chap who insisted in driving quite a long way for me to see it.

It was in showroom condition and VERY LOUD !! I kept it for a while, but if anything it was too loud and for this old chap - too heavy.

At the time I was doing cafe and restaurant gigs, and I found that diners enjoyed my slide noodling on it more than my beautiful (?) singing.
I eventually traded it for a wood bodied Estralita, but still miss it ... a bit.

I think that most of us mature in our appreciation of guitar tones and that our playability requirements change as our style develops.

Its all a part of the fun isn't it?
Old 09-26-2021, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
In a way, you have hit upon the reason for half the posts here: we all treasure different things.
Nail/head, fair and square.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-26-2021, 07:49 AM

Guitars are kinda like that sorting hat from the hairy potter movies and books . Or maybe like the wand store . Lolz .
Old 09-26-2021, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Every guitar for sale has the same story. Brand new, someone took it home. Sometime later they either didn't like it anymore, or needed to raise money, often for another purchase. So at the least, it was deemed expendable. Someone liked it and bought it. Rinse and repeat.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-26-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Could be “taste”,.. could be the buyers are exceptional players and any guitar they played would sound great. I had a friend who’s gone now, he could adjust his attack and technique to make the crappiest guitar sound right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion